Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Epiphone LP Standard last year and want to order the EMG 81/85 pickups for it. Do Epi Lp's have the same wiring and volume pots as the Gibson LP's or should I buy the full 81-85 pickup/wiring kit? The entire kit is very expensive so I was just wondering if the new pickups would sound right with the stock wiring left in? I can get just the 2 pickups on ebay or from my local dealer at a discount. Any LP experts to give me some advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I dont own EMG's or a les paul. But i can tell you right now you need the full wiring kit. The pots are different. The les paul will have 500k pots and the emg's need 25k (??? someone correct me if im wrong) pots to sound their best.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Riff Addict said:
I bought an Epiphone LP Standard last year and want to order the EMG 81/85 pickups for it. Do Epi Lp's have the same wiring and volume pots as the Gibson LP's or should I buy the full 81-85 pickup/wiring kit? The entire kit is very expensive so I was just wondering if the new pickups would sound right with the stock wiring left in? I can get just the 2 pickups on ebay or from my local dealer at a discount. Any LP experts to give me some advice?

Thanks.
They should be wired the same, but the actual components between Epi and Gibson are probably different. I would recommend the whole kit anyway just for simplicity because you have to handle wiring the battery, not a big deal, but why fuck it up when you can buy it already done :thumb:

http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/ZWset.pdf

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Standard pots are just fine. No reason to buy the whole harness if you have any wiring experience Riff. the pickups come with a wiring diagram thats pretty simple to follow.

VB

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
El_jalepeno said:
They should be wired the same, but the actual components between Epi and Gibson are probably different. I would recommend the whole kit anyway just for simplicity because you have to handle wiring the battery, not a big deal, but why fuck it up when you can buy it already done :thumb:

http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/ZWset.pdf
Ok, I definitely want these pickups to sound like they were designed to. I was just trying to save a few bucks....but it might not be worth it.

Thanx

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Riff Addict said:
Ok, I definitely want these pickups to sound like they were designed to. I was just trying to save a few bucks....but it might not be worth it.

Thanx
I have installed quite a few EMGs, and it really is worth it. I really wish I had a pic of when I did the active and passive install with the preamp. THAT was scary! :D

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Epi and Gibson both use the same Values on their components. Gibsons are usually Switchcraft or other Higher quality, Epi's get a less expensive set.
And yes. doing an active/passive is a bitch.
VB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts