Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

EVH /Charvel ... a few observations

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  VB 
#1 ·
Being an Eddie fan and a fan of anything custom made . I thought I would look into a few details of the new EVH/Charvel venture.
The first thing I took note of was Charvel .They were aquired as part of FMIC (Fender Musical Instruments Inc.) In the fine print of the web ads as quoted from www.charvel.com
"The registered EVH trademark and copyrighted striped guitar artworks are used by JCMI under license from E.L.V.H., Inc. The headstock and body designs of the EVH Art Series guitars are the trademarks of FMIC. All rights reserved. Used with permission"
This tells me 2 things. first and foremost Ed does own the copyright to stripes on the guitars. In order for him to market his idea he had to work with FMIC to bring it to light.
Charvel had the pants sued off of them over the original big headstock necks on the original Charvels of the late 70's by then known as CBS/Fender Musical Instruments.
The second thing this tells me is Ed doesnt have the infinite control over these that he did with the Wolfgangs.
I would look for a possible late 2005 or early 2006 production run of these guitars if the initial sales and marketing is anything of a success.
I don't know and can't really guess if they will be US made or made in either Mexico or overseas by FMIC.
The popularity and sales of other Retro 80's guitars ie.Kramer 1984 by Gibson has forced the other big manufacturers to rethink Technology vs. proven sales.
From the specs I have seen of the new EVH/Charvel its simply a single pickup routed strat style basswood body cnc'd for a Floyd Rose.
The neck Ed supposedly used was a 70's Charvel Neck . These spec out to the same as a Maple Fretboard 70's Fender neck probably a 11.5 R 1 5/8" nut with 22 medium jumbo frets. This would be identical to some of the 70's reissue Strats and Early 80's (up to about an 86) Jap strats.
Mighty Mite sells this identical neck licensed by FMIC with either the "big" or " small" headstock. These can be picked up for about $119.00 US.
The pickup is noted as a EVH custom wound pickup. Something close would probably be an older Duncan TBL4 ( Early JB predecessor) or pre 1985 Kramer Baretta (Zebra stripe) or Pacer Bridge pickups. These were loosely based on a hot rodded 57 PAF.
The Floyd Rose is self explanitory. Readily available on Ebay in an abundance or on many 80's Kramer's (Kramer had the FR tied up in legal mumbo jumbo for the early 80's) for under $100.00 or new for under $200.00 US.
(To get the most tone out of a Floyd use the old screw in fulcrum screws not the ones that use inserts.)
If your adventurous and a bit resourceful you can build your own Retro for under $600.00 US.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's what many of us do, but probably for less than that
The big question is how are these guitars gonna sell compared to other guitars. The niche market is for a VH fan, and most people here either build their own replicas or know where to have them built affordably. So what are you really paying for? An "EVH Licensed" Fender. I don't knock Fender becuase I think they are fine instruments, but I won't be shoveling a few grand for one, and I won't be surprised if Fender realizes there isn't that big of a market to sustain itself for anything beyond short term. Sure, some people will say who cares, it's an official guitar so it is better, but then there are those like you and me that look for the commonalities, build it, and fill the niche much more reasonably than what Fender/Charvel can do.

Sales figures will be interesting, but I know they won't be anywhere near what Fender is expecting. Unfortunately, Ed should have jumped on this band wago 5 years ago when people were still interested in what he could do. Except for us die hards, the appeal has passed. And Ed isn't doing anything on stage to make people think any different. Except he is is playing drunk or on pain killers or whatever and he isn't in peak form
It will all affect sales.

#3 ·
Amen Pepper. I can always count on you to reinforce my ideas. I would much rather hand build one than rely on a factory to do it. I checked into what the parts would cost me at the shop and its scary what the profit margin is on this guitar.
I do feel bad that they are sorta feeding on a very limited few. At least with the Wolfgangs being massed produce most could at least afford them or if not a good used one or an import model.
I too have no beef with Fender in anyway. I own Fenders and alot of my customer base are Fender players. You wont see me shelling out a large amount of my savings to own one. To those that do I do wish you the best.
Keith
VGB

#4 ·
I agree. No real mass appeal for these guitars. But I do imagine that you will eventually see a custom 'Wolfgang' type guitar being made by either Fender or Charvel (same difference) in the near future. I also wouldn't be terribly surprised to see an Amp coming from EVH and Fender. Just my opinion.

#5 ·
I never got these Ed indorsed guitars, because one of the most wonderful things that was gleaned from Edward or Brian May is the infinite reword in putting together your OWN guitar! -ya know, something wild, unique, "out of the jungle."

Thanks vintage brat! You are really contributing to the vitality of this site!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.