Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was wondering if any of you guys have played one of the EVH art series guitars and if theyre worth the money...id like to make my own but i dont think that would work out lol im only 15 dont think my parents would let me risk doing it wrong so i was thinkin about one of the art series....any opinions on them?

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Unfortunately you are paying a very high premium for the paint, and can find a comparable guitar at much less the cost... If it is the paint you want but not the cost, check out my "Franky" for sale in the Buy and Sell forum :thumb:

http://www.guitars101.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34550

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Yep I agree EJ....I can't imagine paying anymore than about $500-600 for a guitar....unless you just really want to own one special one and are willing to bite the bullet knowing you are over spending. I have 7 of them now (I only need maybe 3 LOL) and I did get a Wolf standard for $900 slightly used and I can't imagine anything could play with more ease and comfort than that guitar.

Only get that EVH Charvel if nothing else will satisfy you......I personally would take that money and buy 2 or 3 guitars.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Do you have any friends or family friends that are experienced guitar players or good with techy things? If so, with their help you could build a parts guitar from ebay for around 400 dollars.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I finally got a chance to see and play one of these (the red, black & white "Frankenstein" copy".. Sorry Ed, but charging $2,600.00 for a painted Mexi-Strat (yes, these are Fender guitars) with one pickup, one knob and a Floyd is friggen abusive use of your copywrite on the stripes. I'd pay MAYBE $700.00 for that guitar, TOPS! IMO the Wolfgang is leaps and bounds over the Art series... I'll wait till I find one of Rols Guitars Frankenstein copies to pop up on eBay, THOSE where the real deal down to the last detail!.. Thanks for nothing Ed!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I played one. It was the red and white striped franken-strat. These definetly aren't Mexican Strats like Pistrast said because on the back at the neck bolt is says "Made in Corona, California". They play really nicely. Their necks have no lacker on it and are very ncie and thick. The pickup is as hot as it gets and the overall feel is great. I'd have to agree and say it's pricey but any guitar over 1,000 dollars is pricey. Maybe someday if I have the money I'd get one. I'm not too sure on how pricing works with signature models but I hope the price goes down after a few years.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I finally got a chance to see and play one of these (the red, black & white "Frankenstein" copy".. Sorry Ed, but charging $2,600.00 for a painted Mexi-Strat (yes, these are Fender guitars) with one pickup, one knob and a Floyd is friggen abusive use of your copywrite on the stripes. I'd pay MAYBE $700.00 for that guitar, TOPS! IMO the Wolfgang is leaps and bounds over the Art series... I'll wait till I find one of Rols Guitars Frankenstein copies to pop up on eBay, THOSE where the real deal down to the last detail!.. Thanks for nothing Ed!
wOw!
Please don't hold back.
Tell us how you REALLY feel. :D

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
DREW-OU812 said:
I played one. It was the red and white striped franken-strat. These definetly aren't Mexican Strats like Pistrast said because on the back at the neck bolt is says "Made in Corona, California". They play really nicely. Their necks have no lacker on it and are very ncie and thick. The pickup is as hot as it gets and the overall feel is great. I'd have to agree and say it's pricey but any guitar over 1,000 dollars is pricey. Maybe someday if I have the money I'd get one. I'm not too sure on how pricing works with signature models but I hope the price goes down after a few years.
Mexi strats and USA's bodies and necks are made in the same plant. its a matter of country of assembly. as far as the Charvel saying Corona Cali.... thats simply what it says.... Kramers. no matter where they were made said Neptune NJ on all the neckplates except the very early ones.. Dont assume because it has a USA City on the nameplate thats where its made.
Charvel is FMIC.... Eds only option for making "legal" frankies for production. Fender, prior to owning Charvel forced them to quit making the big headstock guitars due to copyright and patent infringements.

Plstr is right on this.. Its simply an over priced fender with Eds copyright and endorsement.
VB

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a piece of crap or anything, but for my money, Rollys replicas where the way to go, the body shape isn't even correct, and I'd want mine to look as beat to hell as Ed's, or at least feel the cheesyness of the bike paint... lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd want mine to look as beat to hell as Ed's, or at least feel the cheesyness of the bike paint... lol
Would you pay $2500 for a guitar that was beat to hell and painted with bicycle paint? :scratch:

If so ... PULEASE email me and I'll see what I can do! :lol:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
D.i.n.o said:
Would you pay $2500 for a guitar that was beat to hell and painted with bicycle paint? :scratch:

If so ... PULEASE email me and I'll see what I can do! :lol:
LMFAO!!!!! I don't think the goal of the Art guitar was to copy Frankie. It was to sell a legal production guitar with stripes and rip the cash out of everyone's wallet that was desperate enough to pay that kind of money for it. Hell Ed most likely gets $500/guitar and FMIC still makes a lot of profit.

If somebody knows a Dallas TX area shop with one in stock, let me know. I want to go see it and play it for myself....so I too can proclaim it as an overpriced Mexistrat with a paintjob and thank God I chose a Wolfgang!

BTW-Dino those are great guitars. How much do you sell just a painted body for?

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
VHFan said:
LMFAO!!!!! I don't think the goal of the Art guitar was to copy Frankie. It was to sell a legal production guitar with stripes and rip the cash out of everyone's wallet that was desperate enough to pay that kind of money for it. Hell Ed most likely gets $500/guitar and FMIC still makes a lot of profit.

If somebody knows a Dallas TX area shop with one in stock, let me know. I want to go see it and play it for myself....so I too can proclaim it as an overpriced Mexistrat with a paintjob and thank God I chose a Wolfgang!

BTW-Dino those are great guitars. How much do you sell just a painted body for?
Look near the acoustic guitar section of the Guitar Center on 635 near the galleria. Just saw one in there yesterday :thumb: Trust me, you will not be amazed!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
El_jalepeno said:
Look near the acoustic guitar section of the Guitar Center on 635 near the galleria. Just saw one in there yesterday :thumb: Trust me, you will not be amazed!
So GC finally has these things....I'll go check it out!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts