Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVH\'s amp

Hey i was wondering if you guys know what amp eddie used during the dave era while on the road, some people told me he used a super lead 100 and other say a jcm 800. Some say it was hot rodded other say it wasnt. I dont know who to believe! HELP!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Re: EVH\'s amp

i think he had a few 100 watter super leads and saved the good one for recording. but i could be wrong all i know is he is one hell of a guitar player
!!!!!!!

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts

what i wanna know is why its so hard for me to duplicate his sound.. no matter how hard i try,, i cant do it and i have tried.... i believe his amps were tweaked cause i think in my curt mitchell guitar video,, he does say i think that his amps were tweaked to his specs. I dont know how and all exactly,, but i think they were. well,, I'm still in search of trying to achieve his tone with what gear i have.. maybe some day i'll be able to.

·
NUCLEAR UNIBOMBER
967 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Scott Parnell said:
what i wanna know is why its so hard for me to duplicate his sound.. no matter how hard i try,, i cant do it and i have tried.... i believe his amps were tweaked cause i think in my curt mitchell guitar video,, he does say i think that his amps were tweaked to his specs. I dont know how and all exactly,, but i think they were. well,, I'm still in search of trying to achieve his tone with what gear i have.. maybe some day i'll be able to.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm barely a newbie at playing, but i have a friend who's been rockin' for over 20 years, and has even played several EVH tribute shows, so i believe what he says when he says well over half the tone is in the fingers and technique... but there is still the fact that you have to be in "the ballpark" with the equipment...
he can take my frankenstrat or my shark and make em sound just like evh!!!

...Dave (but what do i really know??? LOL)

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts

well,, I have a good ear for music and and I been trying to acheive his tone,, granted I'm not gonna go out and buy all this gear that eddie used,, so I'll have to do with what I have.. I agree with you dave on the technique also. well,,, I hope this helps out your answer valmar.. this was taken right from my curt mitchell video and this guy can do vh dam good justice. hope this helps...

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts

In the VHI days he used old Marshall 100 watt Superleads and a home made variac which allowed the amp to be cranked and achieve the tone. However, it came at a cost and he would go thru valves PER GIG! They would simply burn out. The newer versions of variacs are like the Marshall Powerbrake...there are others but I can't think of the names (Hotplate, is one I think). They just mean you can run the amp on 10 and then adjust the master with the brake...great tone from a valve amp is more likely to come when the amp is balls to the wall max volume. Hope this helps.

G

·

Hey Valmar and Scott,

Check these out:

Beautiful Girls
You're No Good

I have been concentrating on the VHII tone since it is my favorite of the Classic VH era. I think these are pretty close to the original record tones...

Here is exactly how I recorded these:

"I played an '82 Pacer that has been modified with a Seymour Duncan EVH custom shop pickup, new Warmoth flame maple neck and original Floyd. From there into a script MXR Phase 90 and old MXR Flanger (both are attached to a true bypass system called a Looper - when the effects are off, they are out of the loop, completely bypassed) then into the front of the Mojave PeaceMaker (high sensitivity input). Settings on the PeaceMaker (Bass - 6.2, Low Mid - 4, High Mid - 10, Treble - 10, Bass Volume - 0, Treble Volume - 10). Output of the PeaceMaker goes into a Hotplate set at -12db. Output of the hotplate into 1/2 of a Mojave 4x12 cab wired in stereo. This is the dry signal. I then run the line out of the HotPlate into a H&K Replex set for single head delay, no repeats, vintage factor maxed and low gain and output. Output of the Replex into 1 side of a Peavey Classic 50/50 Power Amp and then out to the other 1/2 of the Mojave 4x12. I used the Flanger only on Unchained and the Phase 90 only on the Bottoms Up! solo.

I used 2 SM57's to mic the amp. One on a dry speaker and the other on a wet speaker. The mics output went into 2 channels of an Oram Octasonic mic preamp and then into my Pro Tools TDM setup via an 888/24 I/O (D/A converter).

I recorded two tracks (dry and wet) in Pro Tools, panned the dry signal hard left and the wet signal (-5 db lower) hard right. Each track was run through the DUY Tape plugin to give the guitars an anolog tape sound. I then ran both signals into a stereo plugin called SoundBlender that I added stereo micropitchshift to the mix with (-9 and +9 cents left and right). It is like an Eventide harmonizer, however I mixed it pretty low - you can barely hear it. It just thickens the sound a bit. Panned this effect hard left and right. I also ran the dry signals into a stereo reverb plugin called LexiVerb that I used to add a bit of plate reverb. Panned this hard left and right as well. I then bounced the resulting mix to an MP3 file on disk. No EQs or compressors were used, I just felt it wasn't necessary. Maybe I'll try EQ/Compression if I remix later just for the hell of it...

That was it... but I must point out that everything but the guitar and amp is really just icing on the cake. Of course, Eddie had lots of outboard gear (delays, harmonizers, compressors, EQs, etc) available to him at Sunset Sound and it was used and contributed to the overall sound. However, you can get *damn* close to the old VH tone with just this amp, a good guitar and your computer sound card. The Mojave PeaceMaker is really an incredible sounding amp. I couldn't believe I didn't need to EQ it.
"

Seems like a lot of stuff, I know, but it is mainly the Mojave PeaceMaker amp that is responsible for this tone. Check one out!

Steve

G

·

[ QUOTE ]
wahwah said:
In the VHI days he used old Marshall 100 watt Superleads and a home made variac which allowed the amp to be cranked and achieve the tone. However, it came at a cost and he would go thru valves PER GIG! They would simply burn out. The newer versions of variacs are like the Marshall Powerbrake...there are others but I can't think of the names (Hotplate, is one I think). They just mean you can run the amp on 10 and then adjust the master with the brake...great tone from a valve amp is more likely to come when the amp is balls to the wall max volume. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, bro, this is totally untrue and an example of Edward bullshitting people to keep them off the track of his tone. He used the variac to lower the voltage (to 90 VAC), not raise it. This would have minimal effect on tubes and truthfully, only minimal effect on volume of the cranked amp as well. It appears to have some enhanced compression and perceived gain, but mostly people do use the variac to assure constant voltage to save older transformers, etc. The Powerbrake, Hotplate, etc. attenuators are not voltage regulators at all, they absorb output power to reduce the volume of a cranked (non-master volume) amp. The variac Ed used to reduce voltage did not melt tubes per gig and has nothing to do with what attenuators do...

Steve

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts

Thanks for that Steve...I remember an old interview with Eddie where he said that Neal Schon and Ted Nugent finally got to meet him pre gig back in the early days with his gear set-up on stage and Ted said 'Lemme have a look at this bag of tricks ya got to make that sound'! He plugged in and said, 'Hey, that sounds like me' and Ed said, 'Well who did you fuckin' expect???'!

·
Registered
9,424 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
wahwah said:
Thanks for that Steve...I remember an old interview with Eddie where he said that Neal Schon and Ted Nugent finally got to meet him pre gig back in the early days with his gear set-up on stage and Ted said 'Lemme have a look at this bag of tricks ya got to make that sound'! He plugged in and said, 'Hey, that sounds like me' and Ed said, 'Well who did you fuckin' expect???'!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I remember that

G

·

[ QUOTE ]
Scott Parnell said:
man vhpsycho! awesome tone you have! sounds pretty much dead on! wow wtg man

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, bro! I'm tellin' ya, that Mojave PeaceMaker amp is the shit for the early VH tones...

Steve

·
NUCLEAR UNIBOMBER
967 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
i have a friend who's been rockin' for over 20 years, and has even played several EVH tribute shows...

[/ QUOTE ]

here's a recording of my friend (Eric Denton) and his band "tung 'n gruve" playing their version of "beautiful girls" recorded live... considering that it's live, i think he really nailed the tone...

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS live, performed by "Tung 'N Gruve"
taken from www.tungngruve.com

...Dave

·
NUCLEAR UNIBOMBER
967 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Dave G 5150 said:
[ QUOTE ]
i have a friend who's been rockin' for over 20 years, and has even played several EVH tribute shows...

[/ QUOTE ]

here's a recording of my friend (Eric Denton) and his band "tung 'n gruve" playing their version of "beautiful girls" recorded live... considering that it's live, i think he really nailed the tone...

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS live, performed by "Tung 'N Gruve"
taken from www.tungngruve.com

...Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

hey guys, i talked to Eric this evening and found out a couple of things about the clip here...

it was recorded live...
he played a white wolfgang usa standard...
the amp was a 50 watt marshall, but i don't remember exactly which one...
and he's actually been playing for 28 years and is 36 years old...

...Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts

There are so many little changes you can do inside an amp to change the voicing of it you just never know. There was talk of Jose Arrendondo tweaking his early amps. Back in the day it was a common thing to mod your Marshall to get your distinct tone. Jose was THE MAN back then and has created some great sounding Marshalls. Examples of his work are the song lack of communication by RATT. There is also a great track by Dokken, It's not love, where Lynch used the same amp but got a little different tone. Then again, thats why they call it studio magic.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts

Agreed Jose was the man...and eddie is quoted as using Variac's, but it's really in the "hands" if you ask me..I saw Ronnie Montrose in a small guitar shop and he sounded like himself on whatever amp he plugged into....my 2 cents...

·
Registered
473 Posts

The name brown sound came from the term brownout as when the power dims or browns out. He lowered his voltage to around 90 volts. Lowering the voltage shortens the useful life of the tubes running in a lower-voltage state. The tubes will still function fine at normal operating voltage, however, not at lower-than-normal overall operating voltage(namely, the filament voltage). So if Eddie wanted to run his amps at 90 volts, the tubes probably needed to be replaced quite frequently.

What I never understood is why Eddie never pulled two (of the 4) of his output tubes and ran the 100 watt marshalls at 50 watts(since volume was also a problem for him).

I have the exact same 100 watt super lead. A stock amp, no matter how loud you crank it, will never give you the same amount of gain Eddie got out of his. If you look at pictures of Eddies amp, there is a pot sticking out in back. It is located within the area of the preamp tubes. I theorize that the preamps of his marshall were wired together in order to get the gain.

FWIW: VHI was recorded through a Putnam(UREI) tube console. SM57 Mics and an EMT Plate. VHII they used pretty much the same setup, but a Neve console was used. The mic pre's in the mixing board played a very important role in "the brown sound". These pre's are still available for under 2000 for the Putnams(Model 610) and the Neves(Any pre employing the Marinair mic transformer).

·
Registered
331 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Mr Crumb said:
The name brown sound came from the term brownout as when the power dims or browns out. He lowered his voltage to around 90 volts. Lowering the voltage shortens the useful life of the tubes running in a lower-voltage state. The tubes will still function fine at normal operating voltage, however, not at lower-than-normal overall operating voltage(namely, the filament voltage). So if Eddie wanted to run his amps at 90 volts, the tubes probably needed to be replaced quite frequently.

What I never understood is why Eddie never pulled two (of the 4) of his output tubes and ran the 100 watt marshalls at 50 watts(since volume was also a problem for him).

I have the exact same 100 watt super lead. A stock amp, no matter how loud you crank it, will never give you the same amount of gain Eddie got out of his. If you look at pictures of Eddies amp, there is a pot sticking out in back. It is located within the area of the preamp tubes. I theorize that the preamps of his marshall were wired together in order to get the gain.

FWIW: VHI was recorded through a Putnam(UREI) tube console. SM57 Mics and an EMT Plate. VHII they used pretty much the same setup, but a Neve console was used. The mic pre's in the mixing board played a very important role in "the brown sound". These pre's are still available for under 2000 for the Putnams(Model 610) and the Neves(Any pre employing the Marinair mic transformer).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first point makes sense- every piece of electronic gear likes to see the proper line voltage fed into it. You start lowering the operating voltage and the equipment works harder and begins to overheat. I know that low voltage from the wall (less than 115v in the U.S.) in most night clubs and bars tends to reak havoc on all sorts of musical equipment. That's why it's always a good idea to use a Furman power conditioner for your electronic toys when playing live. The power strip will just cut off the line if it gets too low or too high, saving your gear.

On your second point about removing the output tubes to lower the voltage, I've read at *some other* tube amp forums that Ed did that with the Marshall... only he removed just one tube from the quad- not two, and lowering the power 75 watts. My understanding though, is that the Marshall power amp section runs on a class A/B push-pull config and the valve quad works in pairs. So with one tube taken out, perhaps the amp was working even harder on itself, causing the remaining tubes to drastically overheat and prematurely wear out. Ed did say in interviews that he'd blown many output transformers on that particular head... maybe the Variac was used to get more life out of the existing OT given the amount of abuse it took.

Also, I've speculated that Ted Templeman used a tad bit of compression and/or limiiting for Ed's guitar tracks on the first through WACF albums.

If you listen carefully, say on "Everybody Wants Some", when Ed hits a chord it sags briefly then swells up and sustains for days. To me that sounds like some good ol' fashioned, vacuum tube compressor "breathing".

Here's some info about those Neve mic preamps on this site... as well as other small bits of Van Halen recording info:

Cathedral Stone

VH page

·
Registered
473 Posts

I love that Neve 1073 without EQ

When you lower the voltage on a tube amp, everything runs cooler and all currents go down. However, a strange thing happens. Once a tube starts to wear and suffer from lowered emissions, and it's filament voltage is lowered (as Eddie did with a variac) the tube's emission capability drops off severely. A tube that would function normally in an amplifier operating at proper operating voltage, no longer functions properly in an amp who's line voltage is turned down to say 90 volts. Also, at 90 volts, the amplifier is probably operating at Class B. If the amp is rebiased for AB operation, the variac must always be used.

You are correct that the quartet operates in pairs. You cannot remove one of the quartet and get 75 watts. What will happen is in the side with one tube, that tube will fail within seconds because it will attempt to dissipate twice it's wattage capability. You must remove 2 tubes. Then, in order for the tubes to "see" a 50 watt load, the amp's output impedance switch must be set to 1/2 of the speaker load. That is, if you have a 16 ohm cab, the amp's speaker impedance must be set to 8 ohms.

It's quite possible that they used compression on Eddie's amp mic chain. I did read a later interview in which Eddie mentioned that he had a compressor in his live rack. We will probably never know for sure. One thing I do know is that his amp tone on VH I is the tits

1 - 20 of 28 Posts