Votes: 20 10.8%
  • Others

Votes: 55 29.7%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry, this is my first poll. still trying to figure out how stuff works....

anywho, this is the place for you to rant about certain shaps of certain guitars. or if you find nothing wrong with em, how do they compare to other guitars? and also do state what genre(s) you play. like metal, rock, jazz, etc.

guitars to pick from:
Strat(fender/G&L strats, or Jackson Soloist/dinky)
Les Paul
V(King V, Flying V, Rhandy Roads, 3D Vee, etc...)
Others(Explorer, beast, warlock, mockingbird etc...)

for example, since Strats are most common guitar shapes, say you pick that. now, name which you prefer. the Fendre strat, or the Ibanez/Jackson strat(with more pointy horns). say why they are better than all the other guitars. and say what guitars you have and/or havent tried

for me: i'm still new to all this. i only have a strat that i've been playing for almost 2 years. i recently bought a guitar with a Les Paul body, and am dreading it! the les paul body is making it impossible for me to do solos on. the place where the neck/body meet is way too fat, preventing my thumb to support my fingers. no wonder you dont see that many metal lead guitarists with les pauls(excluding Slash and Buckethead). i have also tried a Jackson King V, and a Jackson Rhandy Roads and think they both are really comfortable guitars to play standing up, and sitting down. what i like about the V is that since its body is so different, it makes it so easy to reach the higher frets(after the 17th fret), as is the case with Rhandy Roads. how ever, one thing i dont like about the V is the place where they put their Jack(not all V's have their Jacks in the same spot!). if you're playing it while sitting down, its patch cord starts digging into you. thtas where the Rhandy Roads wins. but V's i found, to be lighter. so a lil give and take...

one thing i dont get is why V guitars(flying, king, or rhandy roads) are looked down upon by the rockers. they say that 'V guitars are for fake metalers'....i guess in taht case, Kerry King, Rhadny Roads, Alexi laiho, Buckethead, Herdrix and others are all fake guitarists....

Strat:
yes, ibanez does make strats. but they do not look like the Fendre/G&L strats. their horns are pointier. the fendre strats, first made in i believe the 1950's, and been widly used by tons and tons of guitarists. from Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, to Yngwie malmsteen, to John Pretucci to everyone. well, sort of. the fender starts come with a tremolo bridge, along with a whammy bar. how ever, other strats can come with Floyd Rose, or kahler, or Tune-o-matic etc bridges. the fendre guitar comes with 21 frets. others usually come with 22 frets or more. Ibanez comes with 24(i've seen 25, but pretty sure it was custom made). and the strats are usually found with 3 singel coil pickups. some companies like Peavey like to mix and match with 1 hum, 2 single.

Les Paul:
the dreaded weight of the guitar puts off a lot of guitarists. like me(not that i'm good). first made by Gibson around the same time as the Fender Strat, and therefore can be called a 'sister' to the original strat. these guitars are usually around 9 LBS. though, it isnt uncommon for them to be found to be heavier or lighter. for some reason, guitar companies that do make guitars with a les paul body refuse to make em with a floyd rose bridge. its rare to find one though. the les paul come with humbuckers. since the guitar body is so heavy, the neck bolt is usually ticker just so it can support the body weight. and that is why doing fast solos on les paul can be a lil tricky. not impossible though.

Flying V/King V:
came out in late 1950's by Gibson just to give a more 'futurist' look to its guitar. how ever, people werent impressed, and thus, Gibson withdrew the idea. in early 60's, Hendrix and a few others, started using V's, and then they quickly went back on the shelvs. other companies such as Jackson came out with their own V guitars known as King V. and then later, in the 80's came out with Rhandy Roads guitar. since the body of the guitar is is so unique, it alows the player to reach frets higher than 17 without having any troubles. that is not the case with the Les Paul guitars. and just that fact makes it easier for guitarists to sweep/shred or do whatever they want with their fret board

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I think the 70's Ibanez Destroyer (58 Gibson Explorer clone) is the loveliest guitar I've ever owned. Once you get used to the odd shape, you don't want to put it down. The design (classic foogie, see below) is magnificent and is still fresh today just like the Stratocaster. I don't care for the re-issue Gibson Explorers because the headstock looks too goth and less like a hockey stick, plus the 70's Destroyers are made out of Japanese ash which has a very magical tone unlike the Gibson Explorers that are made out of mahogany. However the older Epiphone Explorers are probably the best sounding guitar you will find for practically nothing on ebay. You just have to swap out the guts for better quality materials.

As far as Stratocasters go, an early sixties strat has a wonderful contour shape, which has never been reproduced. I positively hate the look of super strats!!!! Edward Van Halens original black and white strat copy was a stroke of genius and has been an object of fascination for me for 30 years. That guitar has the best strat contour shape I have ever seen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've actually got two of the choices...the Les Paul, and the Flying V. My V is the Gibson style.
What can I say...I love my Paul. However, after a 3+ hour gig, the weight does become a factor.
As for my V, well, it's a love/hate thing. It's 17 years old...it was my first big guitar purchase at $350. It's been in the closet for a long time with no pickups in it until I could get what I wanted...the Duncan JB/Jazz set. Sound-wise, I love it now. But it hangs at an odd angle due to the placement of the strap buttons. And this one's a little different....it can be strung either way. The nut slots are all equal widths and both horns have strap buttons at the bottom. I've thought about stringing it lefty just to give it a shot and see how fun it would be.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I own seven American strats, one that is from the late 70,s, one that is an
89, and the rest are from 02. In the late 60's early 70's I am not sure of the exact year but fender was going tits up and the employees bought the company and retooled etc. The quality of guitars went down hill big time and that is why the late 50's and 60's strats are so much better than the ones that followed until the 90's when things started to turn around.

I am a lefty so it has always been hard for me to find great strats, when I go into a music store I am lucky if there is one lefty strat for me to try.
My first strat from the late seventies I bought used after trying out strats for years because it was a spectacular guitar.
I am very particular about my strats and back then they use to fluctuate so much in there feel and quality, that I was extatic to find this amazing guitar that was my first strat. (The late 70's one)

Up until that point I had been playing a neck heavey ugh Vantage lol. The Vantage was a right handed guitar that my dad converted because it was fairly symmetrical in its design having equal cut aways and so forth.

I forgot that I had owned a fender Tokia strat first for about 2 weeks and then I sold it because it sucked lol.

In 89 after trying guitars out for another 2 years lol, I found another American strat that played almost as well as my first one, the only thing I do not like about that one is its color. Black..........I haaaaaaaaate black guitars.

I owned that Strat for about 2 years before I actually played in on stage or in the studio (this is a funny little story) The reason I never played it was because after turning the volume and treble wide open it still sounded extremely bassy and even after changing pickups it still sounded terrible.

Here is the funny part, I was playing at Roxannes in Quebec Canada and during the sound check I plugged my black strat in and it sounded amazing, with tons of top end and I was totally confused. So I asked my guitar tec what was going on (I was just then doing well enough to bring a guitar tec on the road) and he told me that I had the treble turned right off haha.

It turned out that the treble nob had a click position in its center (that was the position for straight through) and if you turned it all the way clockwise it would be set to wide open treble. Anyways all other strats that I have ever owned or played were the opposite and until this day I always twist the three controls wide open and play, only reducing the volume to clean up my sound.
Have any of you ever seen a backwards treble control? I think they did that briefly on lefty guitars so that everything would seem left handed.
Anyways I still laugh at myself for not figuring this out on my own and letting a beautiful guitar go to waste for two years. haha

All through the rest of the 90's I would go into my local music store (Central Music in Welland Ontario, check it out online, it is the best music store I have ever shopped in for many reasons and I have seen hundreds of them over the years while touring) and try out every strat that came in and quite a few did because I happen to live in a city with a lot of lefties. I could never find a strat that came close to the two I owned and the owners probably thought that I was not very serious in my quest for a new strat or should I say strats!

Because in 02 I walked in and tryed out 3 strats they were all amazing and played even better than my old ones so I bought them all right on the spot, the owners were very happy to say the least.

Within the year they had gotten in 4 or 5 more and I bought 2 of those and if I could have afforded it I would have boughten them all lol.

My last strat was a trade deal with the same store, I found a white American strat in there about 2 years ago now and it was by far the best strat I had ever played but I was broke!!! So I worked out a trade deal with cash for one of my other strats and picked it up.
The cool part of that deal was that I was able to go through the rest of my strats and exchange parts and build a strat that contained my most hated components of all my other strats.
So not only did I gain my most favorite strat I improved my others through a few hours of guitar surgery. hehe

So yes after reading my long winded story (SORRY) you guys can tell that strats are my favorite guitars in both body and neck etc.

I don't know if any of you know this but they have changed the body size of strats in resent years, I am not sure why but my newest strat has a body that is over 1 inch wider than any of my other strats.....meaning from top to bottom. I think they may have done this to prevent the fakers out there from converting and weathering strats in order to pass them off as ones from the 60's.
I find this bigger body a huge asset, it improves my playing because my arms are very long. So for any of you long armed players out here, that are about to by a strat, look into this before doing your purchase.

Signed, Golden Ears

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea I go for strat simply because I play better with it. Realistically the tone and sustain of les paul plays that classic rock I love so much alot better however it was just hard for me to play fast enough to get stuff to sound cool and not shredding either. I love the look of les pauls honestly, and I like the look just as much as heck the black and white strat eddie used which as far as im concerned is as cool as it looks. I can't imagine doing anything I do on my ibanez strat on a les paul, simply because of the action, I don't mind the weight simply the action and to me lowering it would defeat the purpose of playing on one. The first guitar I got was a sort of les paul design in a sense but it was cheap then I moved up to a strat because I wanted the tremelo bridge and whammy bar and such. I picked up a 500 dollar on sale gibson les paul at a store to try, that was I would have to assume on sale ten times over but simply I couldn't play for crap on it, I think it just depends on the type of music you like and how much tone or sustain your looking for, I get enough from my strat to be happy.

All depends on the music you like to play. :devilchil

·
jazzy rock boy
504 Posts
strats and les pauls all the way, dudes.:biggthump the two rock icons are thus called because they kick major ass in terms of sound and playability. i think les pauls play easier than strats for me, though. easier to rip the hell out of.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I must say this. I always thought that Les Pauls look like a higher quality instrument and they do have better sustain and a fatter tone. I think the old ones were probably manufactured with better materials and better workmanship.
Strats to me were never made with great materials or even precision workmanship but the combination was a stroke of genious, even though I think fender just got lucky, they made an incredible instrument.

If I had to change guitars, if a gun was held to my head lol I would learn to adapt to a Les Paul because GUITARAL is correct. "Strats and Les Pauls are the two best guitars ever made" In our opinions that is!

Golden Ears

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well i am the proud owner of a Jackson Ke3 Kelly and just love the body style.
Like an explorer but more curves built into it....sexy shape:Sylvia:
It also doesnt really weigh that much either.

Ive also really been a sucker for the Mockingbird guitar shapes.....they are such beautiful guitars, plus easy to sit down and play as well as standing. I would stay away from the acylics though, they are heavy as shit and will give you an aneurism trying to pick it up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea I mean I wouldn't mind trying out a Les Paul at all. Never been a huge fan of that many crazy guitar shapes or fly v sorta stuff although I like ibanez destroyers and gibson explorers if there painted cool or just simply kept in good condition.

·
Banned
839 Posts
I like the Les Paul, the neck is just right for me:icon_blah.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
My favotite guitar is a Wolfgang....but I actually thing the Ibanez RG type body looks cooler.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Forgot to say this in my last post...but as far as getting radical designed guitars, i just want and like something thats totally diffrent than what everyone else uses. Over at west music where i play, all they stock is Fenders and some old used guitars. When i brought my Kelly in for a lesson they all flipped out over it.
For me i just like holding a sexy looking guitar that stands out from the crowd.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
aright, just to save the thread from sheer bordum, i'll post a picture...well, not that i know how too

here, i got this picture last weekend(well, 2 days ago).

http://peavey.com/images/fullsize/00593760.jpg

what i like about the guitar is that its shape is different from other rhandy roads guitar. its more curvey, and that curve alows the guitar to sit on your legs in a really natural and comfortable manner. its a fairly light guitar as well. neat action, and since the body is different, it alows me to reach all the higher frets with ease.

how ever, what i dont like about the guitar is that its body is so different that you cant really find gigbags for it. jackson may make hardshell cases, but who wants to pay 100-150 dollars on a guitar which cost me 500? so the only solution i have is to shove the guitar in an acoutic gig bag. though there would be TONS of room on the bottom of the gig bag which would prevent it from standing, its actually really tight in the gig bag, so bag holds the gutiar just perfectly.

but that shape and gigbag stuff isnt all too hard to get around.

·
Registered
350 Posts
D.i.n.o said:
Shoulda asked what my least favorite body is.
It's a much shorter list. :smile:
Dino I am going to respond to that. I hate BCRich guitars, they suck big A$$.
Especially there acoustics they sound like they have been stuffed full of toilet paper hahaha, and they all look and feel ugly to me.
I also am not a fan of the flying V, I think they look dated and any guitar that I cannot sit down with and relax and enjoy my playing, is not a guitar that I would play.
I hate all the replica guitars, meaning the Via and Malmsteen guitars etc. Even though they might be great instruments, they were designed specifically for another person not for us!

I do really like the old arch top full acoustic electrics, especially the Gibsons.
My dad who is no longer with us had a beautiful Gibson ES75 (I think ES75) from the late 40's with one pickup, blond in color and with an Arch top. What a beautiful sounding Jazz guitar. They work best with flat wound strings.

I first played that guitar when I was 4 or something even though I didn't really know how to play I fell in love with it.
It was appraised at 7K US
Anyways its not mine because I am a lefty D$mm It and it was therefore left to my brother who does not play much. The sadesst part of this story is that my brother without knowing any better took this guitar in its mint condition and left it over a hot water radiator for a couple of years.:disbelief
The guitar now buzzes on most notes, the neck is warped and the finish is all cracked. :cry:
What a waste after it surviving in mint shape for over 65 years. Oh well I am off to get some kleenex lol.
By the way this is an extreme example of what humidity (Lack Of) can do, I mention this because we are both participating in the Buzz thread.

Later bud, Golden Ears

·
Registered
515 Posts
should have included the PRS body style as an option. I'm definitely a classic stratocaster fan, but I find the PRS so nice too... hard to choose from.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts