Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey ppl! I have an older Fender USA Strat made in around 1988 that I have played the frets off of! Ive had them "shaped" once a few years back, but that didnt really fix the problem, so now I am looking at a complete re-fret job. I have a laquered neck, so that makes the job more difficult and expensive. :(

However what I am wondering is if I should go with the Jumbo frets? The strat came with standard sized frets, and of course after all of these years, that is what I am used to. So, guitar gurus, can you please tell me what the advantages of jumbo frets are? If I get them, is it going to drive me nutss getting used to them? Is there anything else I should know prior to making this decision? I would really appreciate any input you all can provide on this issue!

Thanks in advance!

PS: I asked a guy about re-fretting at a small music store (that I dont intend to patronize) and the guy behind the counter told me to just buy a new neck because it would be less expensive, and then directed me to after-market mexican made neck. I had to restrain my self from slapping the crap out of him. Sheesh!
Rj :icon_peac

·
Registered
733 Posts
go try out a jackson. correct me if im wrong but i think the bigger frets allow for lower action. gives you better fingering too...to me it does. i guess it just depends on what you want.
dont slap me, but refrets are expensive. you might want to consider getting another neck... but then your vintage usa strat wouldnt exactly be original.

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Well if the neck is not warped, it can be refretted without taking of the coat.
Just dig up someone who can do the job right!
Don't get a new neck, your sound that you are used can go out the window with a new neck.
Try a few Wolfgangs, they have a good fretsize, neither too small or too wide and big, the latter can give a less pleasent sound on a Strat, stainless are durable but does not have a very nice sound either.
Go with nickel based ones if you like a warmer sound, or get harder ones if a slight metallic ping is to your likeness.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys - I am thinking that I will stick with what originally cam with the guitar - I like it the way it is and it would be an expensive mistake if I didnt like fat frets for some reason.

Rj

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Well there's 2 things to consider....how fat they are and how tall they are. A Wolf will have very tall thin frets (Dunlop 6105's) and a Jackson soloist will most likely have tall fat (jumbo) frets like a Dunop 6000. The taller those frets are less wood your fingers are going to hit. Fenders usually have very low fat frets so it's easy to slide up and down.....but after you get used to tall ones, you will most likely never want anything else. I used to love the the standard strat neck....and now I don't like it at all.

Try and play a neck with tall frets for a few days (they will feel bad at first) before you make the investment and put shorter ones back on that neck.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I knew someone with a fat fretted guitar so I could borrow it for a while and see how they are, but alas I dont. I could try one at a music store, but that would not provide enough time to adjust to the difference. I do love my strat neck the way it is - hmmmm..... I may just stick with the original size - I dont know! Thanks for the input tho!

Rj

·
Registered
425 Posts
rjfoster said:
I wish I knew someone with a fat fretted guitar so I could borrow it for a while and see how they are, but alas I dont. I could try one at a music store, but that would not provide enough time to adjust to the difference. I do love my strat neck the way it is - hmmmm..... I may just stick with the original size - I dont know! Thanks for the input tho!

Rj

I can't really offer much too ya, but I can throw this in. I also have a Strat and I love the neck shape, it's pretty much what I've always played. Anyways, I had a Kramer 1984 for a bit (sold it last year) and the neck was bigger and the frets bigger as well (as compared to a Strat). I really didn't care for either the neck size, or the frets on the 1984. Just personal preference mainly. Basically if I were you, I'd be pragmatic and stick with what works; especially with a guitar that you've had as long your's. But definately try and play some other kinds of frets before making your decision! :icon_thum

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kudochop said:
I can't really offer much too ya, but I can throw this in. I also have a Strat and I love the neck shape, it's pretty much what I've always played. Anyways, I had a Kramer 1984 for a bit (sold it last year) and the neck was bigger and the frets bigger as well (as compared to a Strat). I really didn't care for either the neck size, or the frets on the 1984. Just personal preference mainly. Basically if I were you, I'd be pragmatic and stick with what works; especially with a guitar that you've had as long your's. But definately try and play some other kinds of frets before making your decision! :icon_thum
Thanks for the reply Kudo! Yeah - I think you are right - I better stick with what works for me -especially on that old guitar of mine! :) Hopefully within the next week or two I will get it done, and then we'll see how it goes from there.

Thanks!

Rj

·
Registered
425 Posts
Awesome! Let us know how it turns out! :afro: :dance:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts