Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this problem for a couple of years now where the 3rd and 4th fingers on my right hand (and I am left handed so that is my neck hand) become very numb. It really screws up my guitar playing and only seems to affect my at certain times of the year (normally around christmas - but it doesn't seem to be triggered by cold). I had a trapped nerve in my neck about 6 years ago which was what originally suspected to have caused the problem. My doctor just says it is one of those things and I am going to have to live with it but it is a real nuisance. To add insult to injury, my hands and fingers seem to be getting heat spots. Irritating little things they are too, and I often seem to get them between the fingers. It doesn't hurt but it is extremely off putting.

I just wondered if anyone else has had similar problems.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Once in a while my hands are sore on the tops, but try taking an aspirin 30 minutes before playing and see if that helps :thumb:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Funny you mention it...I'm a lefty too and my left arm round about the elbow is very painful over the last three months or so. It's like a strain that never goes away. Doctor says most likely arthritis :ball: not good. Somedays I can hardly get the car into reverse gear because of the angle I have to get my arm in. Thought of trying some sort of tubi-grip type thing but I'm gonna see my Doc next Monday and ask if he can do any tests or whatever to find out what it is. Feckin' old age.

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both of my hands, so if I don't really stretch out before playing, my hands go completely numb while playing.:cry:

I find that if I strech out the muscles in my hands and forearms, then put my hands under running warm water for a few minutes, I'm good to go. More of a nuiscance than anything, really.

·
Registered
361 Posts
wah wah, you have Tendinitis which I had for 2 years until I finally went to an Orthpedist and he gave me a shot of Cortizone. It took more than one treatment over the course of a few months to cure me. No more Tendinitis.

Steve, I also had Carpal Tunnel in both wrists. Unfortunately I had to have surgery. It used to wake me up at night with the pain. The warm water helped me too but after doing that for 3 years I finally decided on the surgery. I'm sure they have other cures besides surgery these days. This was in 1989.

Feel better both of you.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hey there....once..this guy....punched me in the nose....and he damn well broke my finger :notme:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Say guys,

Just a thought, but a what height do you wear your guitars?
I have tennis elbow in both elbows (which might be Wah Wahs problem?) and used to get cramps in my wrist. Jacked my guitar up higher (the bottom about level with my belly button) and no more problems. Yeah I know it doesn't look as cool but it got rid of the pain for me. Also had problems when laid back on the couch practicing. It's straight chair or barstool only for me if I'm not standing.
Ergonomics for Guitarists 101

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have elbow problems and I found that playing the guitar at different heights alternating low and then high realy helps. Gues it helps not having my elbow locked in one position. Sure sucks getting old.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
gbtone said:
Say guys,

Just a thought, but a what height do you wear your guitars?
I have tennis elbow in both elbows (which might be Wah Wahs problem?) and used to get cramps in my wrist. Jacked my guitar up higher (the bottom about level with my belly button) and no more problems. Yeah I know it doesn't look as cool but it got rid of the pain for me. Also had problems when laid back on the couch practicing. It's straight chair or barstool only for me if I'm not standing.
Ergonomics for Guitarists 101
Saw the Doc yesterday and he says...tennis elbow! Suggested some painkilling gel and cortizone if that doesn't work. Played for a couple of hours late last night and now it's giving me fuc-ing gip! But at least I know what it is now as it had me worried. :ball:

G

·
In NO Way is this meant as a Put Down ok Guys and Gals?
Just something to cheer some fellow sufferers up!

I too was diagnosed with Tennis Elbow about 5 Years ago, all the symptoms you've described were there. Doctor knew that I was a working Muzo so he organised a TENS Machine for me in the vain attempt to keep the pain at bay long enough for me to fulfil some Session obligations. For those not familiar with a TENS, it is a small box, about the size of a Personal Mini Disc Player that you wear on your Belt Loop, wires come from it and are attached to the Painful area with Tape, an electrical Pulse is then transmitted to the area where the damage is, Feels a bit like a VERY minor electric shock, but without any real pain?

So strapped up I duly present myself for work......Every damn piece of Digital Equipment in the Studio went berserk! Took ages to finally discover that the TENS was the culprit! Wasted about 2 Hours of Prime Studio Time and Boy! Was I ever popular? Did the Session "unplugged" (as it were) and then returned the wretched machine back to Doctor with a polite note explaining that any more of that and I'd probably never work again!

Happy Days! :icon_cool

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I've had minor cases of it only when golfing, but never playing guitar. I do know others with bad tennis elbow and a few cortizone shots will most likely get rid of it completely.

G

·
El_jalepeno said:
Once in a while my hands are sore on the tops, but try taking an aspirin 30 minutes before playing and see if that helps :thumb:
LOL this seems a bit extreme but I think I need to try something like this...my middle finger especially is RAW at the top :rock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts