Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Nice it has been a while since we heard a post from you. But this is why I like them! Cause they are F'n Sweet.....good version here

·
Registered
101 Posts
dude! i felt that! hey is that bucket balls as your avatar? sounds like you played with nun chuks too!! haha!

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Nice to hear some Hendrix , just when you think hes out of vogue up pops another cover of him , Firstly this is amazing , sounds like a real band playing here , i love your vocals , really come over with a sort of humour and conviction . nice feel , not rushed , constant with a nice sounding Bass keeping it together .Drums are quality . Guitars kick ass here , you could argue that using a Wah would complete the experience , but the power and sound of your rigg carries off the song with grandour .love the scream at 2.13 , cannot figure out why this aint had more replies , its that good mate . great post from a great band . lets hear some more , soon :icon_thum

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks man, i seriously appreciate what u jst said, ive had some comments that the singing sucks..... bt i guess to each his own.

btw, that wasnt a band. haha, i did it on my computer with a backing track and the guitar and vocals were done by me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the kind words guys, and thanks to whoever gave me a 5 star rating,
im really touched.

thing is because, i posted the tune on a local music forum and the replies i got all said, the singing was really really bad(could it be because im using a plastic mic? and anyone can share some post mix techinqiues for vocals with me?)

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Dong said:
thanks for the kind words guys, and thanks to whoever gave me a 5 star rating,
im really touched.

thing is because, i posted the tune on a local music forum and the replies i got all said, the singing was really really bad(could it be because im using a plastic mic? and anyone can share some post mix techinqiues for vocals with me?)
Unfortunately, it's the old thing of "garbage in, garbage out". I don't mean your singing is garbage, but if you are using a really cheap "plastic mic", it's never going to sound good. And the biggest mistake a lot of home recordists do is record something they are not happy with, and think they will "fix it in the mix". This almost never works. My suggestion would be to look at something like the MXL 990 condenser mic. You can pick one up from Musicians Friend, or elsewhere for $60 to $70. Unless you have an input device with phantom power, throw in a mic preamp from ART or Behringer for $40 to $50. This isn't "world class" equipment, but it will sound light years better than your plastic mic. If this is too much money outlay right now, record your vocals on a seperate track from your backing, and judicious use of compression and eq might help things some. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hey man,

Really enjoyed this one. Like others have said, it sounds like you were having a great time :bannana_g

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rythameen said:
Unfortunately, it's the old thing of "garbage in, garbage out". I don't mean your singing is garbage, but if you are using a really cheap "plastic mic", it's never going to sound good. And the biggest mistake a lot of home recordists do is record something they are not happy with, and think they will "fix it in the mix". This almost never works. My suggestion would be to look at something like the MXL 990 condenser mic. You can pick one up from Musicians Friend, or elsewhere for $60 to $70. Unless you have an input device with phantom power, throw in a mic preamp from ART or Behringer for $40 to $50. This isn't "world class" equipment, but it will sound light years better than your plastic mic. If this is too much money outlay right now, record your vocals on a seperate track from your backing, and judicious use of compression and eq might help things some. Good luck.
thanks for the advice. ill try those methods out. bt yea, i usually record on a diff track. wondering if i shld use headphones while singing or jst let the playback come into the mic recording too?

·
Yeah, so what?
1,562 Posts
:mix: I even liked the sound of that "crappy" mic, I´m pretty sure Jimi played some venues with crappy gear, but the thing is it´s coming from the guts, straight ahead good ol´garage band raw sound, which fits perfectly with this one, I really enjoyed it! Well done :icon_thum

·
Lead Kazoo-ist
1,433 Posts
This was kick ass man... Serious kick ass. I try to catch a lot of local bands when I can at bars and clubs around town. Long Island is become infamous for cover and wedding bands, which has it's up and it's downs (more downs unfortunately). On a rare occasion, something I've heard done before just has it's moment. This would have been the tune that I was talking to my friends about the day after, raving. I think the garage feel is in full effect and sounds genuine, and also think that was one of Jimi's signature's aside from his playing. You nailed it, including the vocals. The comfort level in your vocal performance alone, launches it up there. Great stuff. I agree with BluesPlayer that I'm shocked this hasn't received more replies. Do more!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BleedingPinky said:
:mix: I even liked the sound of that "crappy" mic, I´m pretty sure Jimi played some venues with crappy gear, but the thing is it´s coming from the guts, straight ahead good ol´garage band raw sound, which fits perfectly with this one, I really enjoyed it! Well done :icon_thum
thanks for the support man

1 - 20 of 27 Posts