Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a clip of my first attempt at recording with a PC, not my best playing, kinda screwing around, but I was realy going for the sound which I didnt get.......any sugestions would be greatly appreaciated, software, equipment or otherwise

bascicly I'm running a marshall G30r straight into my soundcard.....I'm not using any effects pedels. The recording software I used was a program called "Audacity" I did this on channel 2 of the amplifier with virtully no gain, and still it sounds too fuzzzzy

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
It's compressed to shit. Did you run the amp into the mic port or line in of the soundcard? Sounds like you went through the mic...just way to compressed.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Yep SD...you have a major problem. Either you were running way too much signal into the soundcard or you need a preamp to match everything up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah....ran it thro the mike port....i take it that wasnt right

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks..... I tried routing the amp thro the line in, and the problem got worse.....i was thinking maby it's the software i'm using.......anyone else use "Audacity"?

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
A lot here use Cool Edit, which is what Audacity was before it was sold...lot's of dudes named Peter here

The next question is are you using a headphone jack or the dedicated "line out" jack on the amp. I know the MG30R has a headphone, a cd, and line out jacks. The line out is made specifically for the purpose of recording. The headphone jack will mute the main speaker and, although this is great for silent practicing, this will further add to your compression problems if this is what you are using to get the signal out of the amp. Try amp out to soundcard in.

If you are STILL having problems, the signal out of the amp may just be too hot and you're going to have to splurge and get yourself a direct box. You can get a Rolls, one of the best IMHO, for about $25 USD:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/428706/sourceid=qIrKQXsGD0EEAJfbYiS-/befree_site_id=0009952098

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Wow I confused Audacity with Adobe Audition. I just downloaded Audacity and loaded it up on Linux and recorded with it using my Podxt. It sounded fine. I think the direct box will be your santa clause. Oh, and I never ran my amp directly into my soundcard but I have miced it and ran that into my pc, into the XLR inputs on my firewire unit.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
stingx said:
A lot here use Cool Edit, which is what Audacity was before it was sold...lot's of dudes named Peter here

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be confusing Audacity with Adobe Audition .

Skydog911, does Audacity have any input indicaters? If so, check them to make sure the input isn't clipping.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
stingx said:
I think the direct box will be your santa clause.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right.....i've screwed with this thing all nite trying all sorts of way to route.....
still sounds like shit
so far the best sound I've gotten was the clip I posted....
I give up, i'll give it another go tommorow

Thanks to all that offered advice...it's greatly appericated
I'm gonna try and get my hands on a direct box

·
Registered
116 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
stingx said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of the Peters!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts