Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys that have seen the Mighty Van Halen live before, I'd love to hear what your first Halen concert experience was like. I dont care what era it was. Dave, Sam, or Gary. I've never seen these guys before, so I really dont know what to expect. I've seen Sam and Dave solo a few times, but never the band Van Halen, so I'd love to hear from you guys that have. Just about the atmoshphere, the band in general and what not.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
First of all..condolences on all you missed....
, secondly...more condolences....
...Seriously..I saw them first in 1981 in the Louisiana Superdome for the "Day of Rock and Roll." Boston, Heart, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, and others..I kept remembering this haunting tune as we got into the crowd and was wondering who these guys were because they were kicking ass....turned out it was a tune called "aint talkin bout love" with an extended middle part and it blew my mind!!!!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your condolences! But my pain will be over very very shortly!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in the same boat, Ed is one of my major guitar influences, hell I have a 5150 replica
but I've only seen sam and dave as solo artists, but that will all come to an end soon

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I was a huge VH fan after having bought the first 2 records, but living in Idaho (BFE)....we didn't get many concerts. It was just about a month before WACF was to be released when VH decided to do the rehearsal concert in Pocatello, ID....about a week before the record came out. There was no internet or mp3's floating around so the first time I heard any songs from that record was live. It kicked ass, but that was back in the days when Ed had a wall of amps and they were not just for show......he played so loud the PA was not even required.

I asked Brad why the show was not listed on the official site and he said it must have never happened.

I've seen them about 10 times since.....wildest show was 1984 in PHX AZ. I'll see them in OK and TX this time.

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!!!!

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Well Sucka, I've told this story before, but here it is again !

I was always too young or didn't have enough money to go see Van Halen when Dave Lee Roth was at the helm.

Anyway, Van Halen finally retuened to our shores in 1993 with Sammy Hagar at the helm, as part of the Live Right Here Right Now tour. I was well into the band by then, and had yearned for them to come to the UK just so that I could get to see them. I'd worn my Live Without A Net video right out and dreamed of seeing a Van Halen concert.

Anyhow, the build up was great at the time. There was myself and just one other guy at college, and for some reason, he couldn't go to the concert. He got more and more pissed off as the big day came.

Posters went up everywhere. A big red poster with a topless girl, proclaiming that VAN HALEN ARE COMING !!!!

I couldn't have been anymore excited. Well, 4 of us hired a Ford Mondeo and did the drive down to Birmingham. As usual, the traffic was a nightmare. However, it was more so than ever. So we got stuck in a traffic jam.

However, it was so cool, because everyone else in the traffic jam were Van Halen fans going to the concert. No-one else had ever seen the band live, so the excitement, expectation and general buzz was exceptionally high. I'll never forget leaning out the window and joinging in the Eddie chant along with numerous other folk just hanging out of car windows.

It was a blisteringly hot day, car stereos were blaring out Van Halen, new friends were being made over beer trades. But the general feeling was "where the fuck did all you Van Halen fans come from ?" And "Where the fuck do you all go ?"

As the time of the concert neared, the frustration was reaching high levels. As it happened, we got in there just as the warm up band, Little Angels, finished their set. I was a little pissed off, but no problem as pretty soon, Van Halen were about to start.

I was pissed as a fart on Budweiser, so was amazingly happy !!! Then Van Halen came on and I had the best concert experience of my life.

It was actually the show that I put up and copied for a few people recently. Eddie's solo was great that night. I couldn't speak for several days as I had screamed my throat dry.

Just wait until they come on stage, you can't help it !

Anyway, I always dreamed of seeing them in the States because of all the hype and crowd reaction over there, but I'll take that traffic jam onthe M6 anyday, it was such a unique expectation, and really pumped us all up.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
To be honest, my first experience was a disappointment. I saw them live on the 1984 tour. I didn't know much about live music but I remember saying to myself, "Why doesn't Dave sound ANYTHING like he does on the record?" He was a bit drunk and off key for a lot of the night. I left wondering if I'd made a mistake, lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
First VH concert I saw was 1984 at the Montreal Forum in Canada... There's a bootleg DVD of the show that you can buy on Ebay... Great show... I saw every tour since then except the Cherone tour... I didn't like Cherone and I was pissed at Sammy leaving... And this year the are doing only one show in Canada and it's six hours away.
I think the best show I ever saw was 1984 and the Balance show was amazing too.

The Balance show had the best sound for the first 6 songs... Then the sound changed at got too loud and all muddled.. I thought the sound engineer should have left the mix as is... Anyhow, they are certainly a LIVE band. Always have been. There's just nothing like seeing these guys live. I think most VH fans would agree to that in principle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
5150 tour in the Seattle Coliseum. Happened to be there 100th stop of the first Sammy tour. Blistering guitar and Al's drums were fucking HUGE! They played Besto both Worlds w/ a little Richard palmer cut in the middle-can't remember the name. Also saw Monsters tour, FUCK and Balance. And caught the last tour w/ Cherone at the Gorge. Amazing singer but kind of a fruity stage presence...

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ggutt2003 said:
5150 tour in the Seattle Coliseum. Happened to be there 100th stop of the first Sammy tour. Blistering guitar and Al's drums were fucking HUGE! They played Besto both Worlds w/ a little Richard palmer cut in the middle-can't remember the name. Also saw Monsters tour, FUCK and Balance. And caught the last tour w/ Cherone at the Gorge. Amazing singer but kind of a fruity stage presence...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're referring to Robert Palmer, it was Addicted to Love.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
EVH ZMAN said:
First VH concert I saw was 1984 at the Montreal Forum in Canada... There's a bootleg DVD of the show that you can buy on Ebay... Great show... I saw every tour since then except the Cherone tour... I didn't like Cherone and I was pissed at Sammy leaving... And this year the are doing only one show in Canada and it's six hours away.
I think the best show I ever saw was 1984 and the Balance show was amazing too.

The Balance show had the best sound for the first 6 songs... Then the sound changed at got too loud and all muddled.. I thought the sound engineer should have left the mix as is... Anyhow, they are certainly a LIVE band. Always have been. There's just nothing like seeing these guys live. I think most VH fans would agree to that in principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that Montreal show, that's a great one. You fans up there were going NUTS!! It was cool to see Dave wearing a Candiens jersey too

·
Registered
819 Posts
my first show hasnt happened yet! sept 17 i get to see them, i wish i was older and coulda seen them back in the 80s with dave, oh well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My first show was the RHRN tour. The internet was a big thing then, so the set was a suprise. They opened with Mine all Mine. Sound was awesome, Eddie was incredible. What topped the show was Sammy doing Unchained, my first time hearing my favorite song live. They ended with Rockin in the Free World. Couldn't have asked for a better show.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What's the quality of that bootleg? Is it worth buying? And yes - Montreal rock fans are pretty f'in nuts! You should see what they are like for an AC/DC show! Or Metallica!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's an audience shot boot so you dont get any great closeups or anything. The band sounds awesome that night though. The only weak point being Dave's voice here and there, but we already know that right. He was all over the place that night though. It looked like he was really feeding off of the crowd. My favorite boot from Montreal is the show from 1986. Now that show is AWESOME!

G

·
First Concert was the F.U.C K. Tour...

Skydome-shytent Great show but I thought the sound was terrible...

Second show was VHIII @ the Molson Amphthetre - Outstand sound - show was flat...

Third Show.... ask me July 4th... because July 3rd- there in Toronto at the ACC !!!

G

·
First show was the Balance tour at Starlake Ampitheater in Pittsburgh. Show kicked ass and was the largest audience in the venues history at the time. I saw the VH3 show there as well. It was good, but didn't feel right without Sammy. I can understand how the Roth fans felt in 86. I will be back at Starlake err Post-Gazette Pavillion in about 2 weeks. Taking my gf, another friend and my dad...on his Birthday!
See ya there Sucka.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ahhh, jasper I'm only gonna be at the Philly show on the 16th and the Jersey show on the 22nd. Sorry I'll miss ya man

1 - 20 of 58 Posts