Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wasn't sure whether to throw this up in the Originals section or the Covers section, as the first half of this clip is original and the second half is a cover interpretation. I call this Irish Mix because it has a bit of an irish flair to it and it sounds maybe like Rush and Van Halen would have sounded were they born and raised in Ireland. :thumbup:

Goport, I addressed this post to you in the subject line because I know that you are like flies on shit in this forum as far as checking out new posts (which is what makes you probably the best possible person to mod this forum :thumbup: ). In addition, I know that you have recently delved into the world of bass playing and have posted a couple really cool pop/slap samples of some techniques you have been working with lately. This is probably the most exemplary sample of my finger style bass playing which I recorded back around the time when I was playing bass in a band (with A Koo Stick from this site). We didn't play out a lot, but we practiced at least a couple times a week for a while. I was fairly conditioned in my picking fingers at the time. Now-a-days I would have to practice for 2 or 3 hours straight to build up the stamina necessary to play this live with consistency. I am pretty out of shape these days.

Anyway, this is me on guitar and bass and a drum loop that I wipped together kinda quick, which, as a result, makes it a bit generic/repetitive after a bit. After the first half I break into some Irish Van Halen but the bass drops out there. Anyways, I have typed too much already :drunk: . Cheers, mate.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very cool stuff! :icon_thum Speaking of Irish influence, the first half actually reminded me a bit of Thin Lizzy :cool:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
LOL!! This is very good for something that has been thrown together Jeff. I love the triplet feel idea, you should definately develop it. The bass playing is good and solid - better than anything I could do. Bass is a bastard of an instrument ins't it?

Great stuff mate :thumb:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
I have always liked that sound when you hit a f sharp on a d , or an e on a c , its that kind of thing im hearing and it sounds refreshing ,at 00:27 the mix is interesting :scratch: whats going on here , the last time i heard this type of mix was on Thats the way by Zepp , very strange , but interesting :icon_thum but you should of put down your bass on the Halen bit dude , it would of rocked ! dam ive gotta get a bass , im sick of this midi rubbish , but i guess each format has its good and bad points . I would like to see you work more on the intro section and make it into a complete lizzy type tune , there is something real good there mate !:icon_thum

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This is a great doodle KC! Love the Unchained embellishment. Fun post! That first riff really demonstrates how a cool bass line can make a tune. The mix is ALIVE!

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for your feedback and time (Ender, Mike, Porty, Mondola, nandk, Rhythamonster, SGSTD, bluesplayer, Stratty). I am digging the Thin Lizzy comparisons, as I did not catch that myself, but it seems obvious based on how many of you made the comparison. I am a late bloomer on becoming a Thin Lizzy fan, but have really taking liking to them, so I am enjoying the comparison. Art, I hear ya about wanting a bass and I think it would be a great investment, although I think you do quite a fine job with MIDI bass already. It only sounds remotely MIDI to the educated listener. But by all means, get yourself a bass, man! Thanks again guys.:thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts