33,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Foreigner
Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary
Madison Square Garden
New York City
May 14, 1988
CBG Classic Master Video Series Vol. 31C

audience video angle: (CBG) Ricoh R-600 (same specs as Sony CCD-V5) 8mm camcorder (w/ 2X teleconverter lens) master 8mm analog tape; NTSC, 4:3 PAR, 29.97 fps; transferred to harddrive via a firewire using a Sony TRV-330 8mm digital camera w/ Time Base Correction; video capture done with Sony Vegas Pro 12.

pro video angle: recorded from HBO broadcast with unknown VCR onto new tape in SP mode; played back through a JVC S-VHS HR-S8007UM VCR connected to a Canopus ADVC-110 via an S-Video cable (for video) and RCA cables (for audio); connected to the computer via firewire; video capture done with Sony Vegas Pro 12.

All video editing/mixing, audio synching, and 2-pass VBR encoding done with Sony Vegas Pro 12 at 8.3K max, 8.0K avg, 1K min; authored to DVD in Sony DVD Architect Pro 6. All video work and DVD authoring by Silver Stallion.

audio: (recorded from HBO broadcast with unknown VCR onto new tape in SP mode); 1536 bit LPCM

(full show)

1. Hot Blooded
2. Juke Box Hero
3. Urgent
4. I Want To Know What Love Is

I only have one request, that you don't take these files and post them on other torrent sites. I have many shows to upload. I will upload, let them get seeded by others and after a majority have downloaded the files completely, remove my files so I can seed something new. I prefer to manage my own shows on The Traders Den. I will upload to other sites when I wish to for select shows. Thanks for honoring my wishes in advance.

This is “CBG Classic Master Video Series Vol. 31C”.

The Summer of 1988, even though one of my favorite bands, Van Halen, was touring, and I was filming them for the first time, will be long remembered as the Summer of Zeppelin for me. As I mentioned in previous releases, Robert Plant was starting his tour in Canada in May and stated he will be doing Led Zeppelin songs for the first time since 1980. Jimmy Page was going to tour starting in the Fall for a new Album called Outrider and he was doing Led Zeppelin songs as well in his live set for the first time. But the crescendo came on May 14th when all the rumors started to circulate in March and April of Led Zeppelin reuniting for a show at Madison Square Garden for the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary party. Actually, the Rolling Stones were signed to Atlantic in 1970 and distributed on a subsidiary label of Atlantic called Atco Records in the beginning of their career. So a lot of rumors were developing of both bands playing at this show in the Garden. About a few weeks before the show, a lot of information was flowing...an all-day show, broadcasted on HBO, alot of different bands. This was going to be big but no one knew for sure that Led Zeppelin or the Stones were going to play. The last big show like this was Live Aid in 1985, which spanned two continents and was a who's who of rock bands that played. But those shows were in Wembley Stadium and JFK Stadium, this show was going to be in MSG.

So I got my tickets from a friend that hooked me up with really good box seats in the loge right off the floor in the turn. This was a really hard ticket to get. It sold out to the public instantly and alot of the tickets were retained for Atlantic guest list people.The best thing about these seats I got from my friend as it turned out was they were row 1, right above a lighted sign in the turn across from the soundboard. I was right at stage level and on the left side so the crane boom camera (which I didn't know about until I got in the building and saw the setup) was not in my line of sight continuously. This was my first time ever filming in Madison Square Garden, what a way to start out!!!

So I traveled down and made final preparations to last the entire day in the show. We got some great sub sandwiches at a NYC deli near my Aunt and Uncle’s home, and headed into Manhattan. Another good friend, my ticket scalping friend, met us on 33rd St. and 7th Ave. and handed me the tickets to the show. Into the Garden we went at like noontime. The show started at 1pm and ran 6 hours and then had a 1 hour intermission for dinner (where we ate the last of the sub sandwiches) and then continued with the live HBO broadcast at 8pm until 1:30am.

For periods of the daytime portion of the show, it was not packed down below where we were sitting. So filming was more risky. But I did it anyway. I rested the camera on my knee and shot it over the railing and lighted sign. It was risky because there was the walkway right behind me about 8 rows up and it curved around, so ushers and security had angles to see me if they wanted to. I filmed a few of the bands in the afternoon, Iron Butterfly, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Foreigner and Yes. During that time, my friend brought in a 35mm camera with a nice zoom lens and he was taking some pictures and then a security guy came up to him and told him to put it away or he would be ejected. Whew, good thing I wasn’t filming at that moment!

IN THE EVENING portion of the show, Robert Plant came out with his band and did three songs from his new album. I got it. The building was very well lit for his set compared to the shows in Canada that I went to a week earlier. Then Genesis took the stage in what I thought was one of the best sets they ever did. At least this version of Genesis. It was a medley of like 10 songs over 20 minutes. I started to film it. Now, let me put this bluntly, I was there to see and film Led Zeppelin. So I didn’t want to make any mistakes and get caught during any other band I was attempting to film. Well, the arena was pretty filled by now, at like 10pm. The lights were really good and Genesis was kicking it into a high gear. Perople around me were sitting and watching the show though. Just by chance, I happened to lift my head and gently look to my right and I saw this usher on the walkway a whole section away leaning forward in what looked like he was trying to scope me. Oh man…I thought I was found out. Not before Led Zeppelin!!! I kind of slid the camera to the floor under my chair very gently and made it seem like I really didn’t notice him. I then peered over to my right a few times casually and that guy was staring me down intently now. He did see the camcorder I am convinced but he couldn’t see it now. I didn’t take the camcorder out again the rest of the night for any other band. I was not going to chance it. He came over to my side and walked down the asile near me and looked me up and down and I pretended like I didn't notice him while I threw up a couple fist pumps like I was into the show. I was so nervous because I thought this guy would scope me the rest of the night. But it was a long time until Zep would eventually take the stage. He must have been worn out and I never lifted that camera again due to him. Now it is like 12:50am and it felt like a marathon. We started this day at like 6am, driving a few hours to NYC, going over the Tappen Zee Bridge, getting food, and into the Garden at noon. All the music, many bands playing 3-4 songs each, and it is now the next day, May15th, in the early morning hours and then the moment arrived. I always wanted to go to Live Aid back in 1985 that day to see Zep, and we once had tickets to see them in Cleveland (we were gonna drive 12 hours to see that show in 1980), but we know what happened there with Bonzo. So this was my moment. I wasn't even filming in 1985, so Live Aid would have been just a memory (other than the MTV broadcast). This was the next time Zeppelin would reform for a show.

When we saw Phil Collins and Ahmet Ertegun come out to talk about one other band, who could they be?...everyone knew who it was and was there for them. The place was roaring. It was 1am THE NEXT DAY (appropriately late in the night), and what a boost of adrenelin it was as the final intro was delivered by Ahmet, "In more years than I can remember...they call themselves LED ZEPPELIN".....and the curtain rose, those opening notes of Kashmir hit, and it was on! I was so wired. The whole place stood for this and I was able to sit with the camcorder on my thigh. I was probably the only person sitting. There was no way anyone on the side aisles or the walkway curve around me could see me now. I was in my little nook and had great line of sight to the stage being in row 1 with a railing in front of me so no one was standing in my way!

Another good friend was home and recorded the entire HBO broadcast for me while I was at the show, thanks Steve! I used to think how cool would it be to mix my streight on shot film with the HBO broadcast that concentrated on close-ups and face shots alot. But even with the analog mixer I used to use in the 90's, that was impossible as each source would go out of synch immediately and be very noticable. Well, fast forward 25 years, and with programs now available to mix on the computer and allow the user to tinker with aligning the video sources by stretching or shrinking them, this classic show can be produced. This is it! Silver Stallion did a great job putting the two sources together, getting the key moments I captured that HBO didn't, and made this something I will treasure forever. So that is done now. I decided to make each band a separate release so that people could pick and choose what they want and take what they want. If they want to. It’s too bad I didn’t get the Genesis set as that was the one band I would have liked to get with the others I got. But I got Led Zeppelin and that is the most important thing.

These discs will only be posted on TTD because of other torrent site rules. I was able to capture some really cool moments that HBO didn’t get because they were focused on close-ups of Jimmy or Robert. I feel this was one of those nights that I thank my ‘lucky stars’ for…since at that point and probably for my life, I can say I was able to film the band under the name Led Zeppelin and I was able to film them playing maybe the most classic rock song of all time ‘Stairway To Heaven’. It was only beginning now, the Summer of Zeppelin was fully underway. I couldn’t wait for it to continue. I just drove all the way to Montreal and Quebec City, out of the country in Canada, a week earlier, to film Robert Plant's opening nights of the Now and Zen tour and he played Zep songs. Now I am in Madison Square Garden filming for the first time a bunch of bands and Led Zeppelin. I felt like I was the traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been. I made an audio cassette tape of the Zeppelin set from this show that I played in my car for a long time. That tape of Kashmir would be the show I would play from that point on for a couple years to get me psyched up to get my camcorder into arenas and give me the comfidence to film shows from that point on. "I am the traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been" ...It was a sort of ritual lyric that was like a superstition as it grew from show to show, city to city as I was filming in all these new places I never thought I could get a camcorder into and film at. I was going to so many shows. Filming bands I never thought I would in places I never thought I would. It was sort of magical this first year. And the overriding theme was the summer of Zeppelin.The icing on the cake.

In 1980, at my high school, Saugerties High School (aka Jimmy Fallon's high school also, albiet he was only a 4 year old little tyke when I was a Junior) they got the movie The Song Remains The Same and were going to show it movie theatre style in the school aufitorium. It was like $3 admission. This was almost 4 years after it was shown in theatres, which I didn't go to since I was too young and really never played Zep records at that age (I was heavily into KISS in 1976 & 77). So all my friends and I got tickets for the movie showing. This was going to be a party. It seemed like all the cool kids in the high school were there that night and everyone had a dime or 1/2 oz bag. We all got high in the school parking lot and bus circle beforehand but when we were all in the auditoium, and the song Rock n Roll started to play in the movie, it was a full on party. Imagine that happening nowadays in school. RIGHT! My girlfriend's 16 year old daughter's idea of a party is pizza and soda with sweets with her friends. Even her 18 year old friends (boys) are too good for themselves. Not what we were doing in high school. We would be looking for a home to use when one of our parents were out or away, drinking their liquor bottles, getting high, picking rooms in the house to get laid in with the girls in the neighborhood, not pizza and sweets!!! These kids are angels now. The crazy thing was, this was just like going to the Poughkeepsie Civic Center for a concert. There were many teachers there to organize it and chaperone everyone. The same teachers that taught us English, Social Studies, Math and Science. Yet, smoke clouds were rising from the crowd IN THE LIGHT of the projecting movie light that the place was full of pot smoke. And not one teacher did a thing to stop anyone. To this day, I still don't believe it happened in a school sanctioned event. So here I am in 1980 watching Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love and Stairway to Heaven filmed in a 1973 Madison Square Garden concert projecting on the silver screen in larger than life size thinking how huge this band is and how removed from my life they are. Then, in what is really a short period of time, 8 years, I would be filming Led Zeppelin myself in Madison Square Garden with a camcorder (something that didn't exist in 1980), is far beyond my comprehension. But it happened. And I am forever thankful, because it was really the only opportunity I would have to do that ever in my life. Filming my own versions of Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love and the no.1 rock song ever Stairway to Heaven. Led Zeppelin in Madison Square Garden. It was a long way back to that Saugerties High auditorium, but it really wasn't. Listening to Zep II What is And What Should Never Be on my friends quadrophonic stereo system and moving the joystick around to move the sound speaker to speaker in the room when stoned, or cleaning bags on the Zep IV foldout album watching the seeds roll off the shepherd holding the light on the mountain, and experiencing my first bong while listening to Houses of the Holy's 'The Ocean' staring at the children on the rocks. It was full circle for me. A Saugerties High School culmination and graduation to better things. After missing out on being able to see Led Zeppelin in 1980 in the states, I could now say to filming Led Zeppelin, "been there, done that". To Be Where I Have Been. And with it being The World's Most Famous Arena, Madison Square Garden, it was so fitting that it would tie into that night in Saugerties High that gave me a lot of inspiration. Thanks to all of the Saugerties High teachers that let that night in 1980 be a great experience and a night to inspire. They let us make our own decisions and we went on to bigger and better things. Otherwise, 8 years later might not have happened had the teachers squashed the Zep movie event at the start. I owe part of my inspiration to you all, basketball coach and film studies teacher Dick (Dickey) Collivita who was knocked out cold in class by a fellow classmate for being....well.... a "Dick", english teacher Mr. Habbernig who opened up class to talk about the meaning of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in The Wall lyric "we don't need no education", social studies teacher Mr. Loop (Fruit Loop) that always cried in class because 'the kids nowadays just don't want to learn, tear, tear), the drunk social studies teacher / bar owner that became Vice Principal a few years later (imagine that) and would always show up drunken and red-eyed after lunch Mr. Brazier (if you wrote alot in a report for him you would always get an A+ regardless, so we would imbed statements like 'you suck' or 'you're a dick', or 'f#%k you' into the paper and get an A+ on it anyway!), and my 11th grade trigonometry teacher that said I would under achieve on the final exam with a 77, but got a 88 on it, and turned into an engineer making more $$$,$$$ than he probably ever did. Saugerties High Led Zeppelin in 1980 to Madison Square Garden Led Zeppelin in 1988. I did graduate in a big way. This show was my real graduation. After this show, I felt like the traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been. It was on to much bigger challenges. It was all just beginning. That Saugerties High education taught me well. I always said, if I was as smart and interested in physics as I am in sports and music, I'd be a friggin' genius. But I don't give a shit about physics. Thanks Saugerties High teachers for graduating me on to much better things!

Enjoy Foreigner at The World's Most Famous Arena, Madison Square Garden! CBG5150 Posted to TTD 2015-08-28.

https://mega.nz/#F!VColCQIR!9jNxcUKQsyHU4OuxqNvBAQ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts