Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John FRENCH drums, voice
Fred FRITH bass, guitar, voice
Henry KAISER guitar, voice
Richard THOMPSON guitar, voice

SOUNDBOARD RECORDING

Recorded live at the Ashkenaz, Berkeley, CA. USA
03 August 1987

This gig took place just after the recording sessions of their first album "Live, Love, Larf & Loaf". The music is fresh, and they obviously have a good time.

disc 1
1. Tuning / introduction 1:37
2. Wings à la mode (Adams/French) 4:09
3. Killerman gold posse (Thompson) 3:04
4. Drowned dog black night (Thompson) 7:52
5. Disposable thoughts (French) 5:09
6. A blind step away (Thompson) 7:32
7. The second time (French/Frith) 4:01
8. Where’s the money (Frith) 4:57
9. Madness of love (Thompson) 6:47
10. The same thing (Dixon) 6:23
11. FF solo guitar (Frith) 8:17
12. Tir-nan-darag (Kaiser/Frith) 7:22
13. Back street slide (Thompson) 4:38

disc 2
1. Night comes in (Thompson) 7:46
2. Quick sign (Frith) 2:11
3. Suzanne (French) 2:58
4. Drumboogie / Not fade away (French)/(Hardin/Petty) 9:37
5. Hard headed woman (Demetrius) 2:42
6. Same old me (Frith) 3:39
7. When the spell is broken (Thompson) 7:33
8. The devil in the drain (Kaiser/Pinkwater) 9:40
9. The calvary cross (Thompson) 10:11
10. Surfin’ USA (Berry) 3:52

FLAC (level 8)
high resolution artwork included

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=GW6X9IDN
http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=UAGAFAER

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
i grabbed this from another website a couple of days ago.
tho even the cover given there didn't name the venue.

great show by an unreal group of musicians.

l love that a few more folks might be wakened to this...thank you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i grabbed this from another website a couple of days ago.

I know which website you're talking about (a great one)

BUT this version of the show is not the same : here the crowd is more present (it is barely audible on the other version), hiss is less present, and there are 4 more songs...

The cover art is different too

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
thanks for the heads up.
two versions of this?

honestly i'm primarily a richard thompson fan...avant-garde like the way some of this gets to be sorta plink-plonking around (tho they all sound like they're having a BALL) sometimes doesn't sit well with me.

i haven't listened to the copy i have all the way through yet, to get to the RT songs at the end.

i may be back for this...and thanks for your reply to me!

interesting thread critique-ing this over at 'that other place'....

·
Registered
198 Posts
thanks for the heads up.
two versions of this?
Since it is a soundboard, it must be the same source. But the version I have uploaded may have been remastered/enhanced... or whatever you want, because it definitely sounds different (better in my opinion).

I'm a fan of both Frith and Thompson, so when this band was formed I was delighted. But I must admit their style are very different and some songs were disappointing. I also find the Thompson tracks are the best. He wrote some of his greatest songs for FFKT in my opinion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Since it is a soundboard, it must be the same source. But the version I have uploaded
I meant: "this version I have downloaded"

by re-reading my post, I find it uncomprehensible and confusing if I don't say that I too had found the other version (it's on the Titus website isn't it ?) but tried this one after reading the Notme post about his upload being another version.

Well... I don't know if I'm clearer now. Doesn't matter...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have to admit I never expected to see this concert here - I always expected to have to keep my eyes open at record Fairs in the hope I'd get a copy. So big big thanks for sharing this one, I'm looking forward to giving it listen.

Like above I'm more a RT fan and this combination didn't hit all my buttons, but there's some good material on the official releases and it's always best to hear them play it live and putting there enthusiasm into it.

Many thanks once again, but please don't tease in future dangling the carrot of another site and then not giving the full address - I'm now oging to be spending hours trying to track it down!! All the best and Hemix you're right - it doesn't matter!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks Hemix - I've been wading through Titus Andronicus sites for too long trying to get there!!! You're right it's a good looking site, many thanks for the link

doog

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
repost in FLAC :
part 0
part 1
part 2
part 3

It is the first time I use the split option of Winzip. It has produced 4 files, but apparently, only "part 0" (the smallest of all files) can be double-clicked to open the archives. Of course, ALL files have to be downloaded first.

I hope you won't have problems with it. Otherwise, tell me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Files are still there, but now a password is requested... (??)
Sorry for answering so late. I didn't see your message.
As far as I know, no password is requested. You need to download all files, then open the "part 0" (maybe if you double-click on any of the other file, you get a password request).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts