Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a little theory: :p

I know there are in reality two types of diminished chords (in B):
-The Half diminished which is the minor7b5: B D F A.
- And, there is also the full diminished chord: B D F Ab.

Fully diminished chords are intersting in that the four notes which form them, are all the same interval apart, a minor third. So for example E fully diminished will be E, then up a minor third to G, then up a minor third to Bb and then up a minor third to Db. Because of this symmetry no one note takes priority, so an E diminished chord can also be named G diminished, Bb diminshed or Db diminished, it's all a matter of context as to which is the most appropriate. Here are a few examples voicings of this chord. So to learn the full set of voicings for all 12 diminished chords you actually only need to learn 3 sets, each sets applies to four diminished chords.

|-3--------------6--|
|-2--5--2--8--5--5--|
|-3--3--3--6--6--6--|
|-2--5--2--8--5--5--|
|----4--x--7--x-----|
|-------3-----6-----| etc etc

I can understand that the half dim chord above (upper) is used in C Major, since there are no flats and sharps in it.
But when is the full dimished chord used? I am confused, cause no scale seems to fit all the 4 notes. But they sound great ;) ,

So I want to know when all you guys use this weird chords?

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
The dimished chord is most always used as a passing chord between to stronger chord types. For instance if you going from say Gmaj7 to Amin7 (I--ii) then you could throw in a G#dim as a passing chord, which could be spelled Ab B D F,or G#, B D F or as you pointed out, it can also be spelled by any of its inversions.As for a scale, I believe you can try teh whole/half scale, which is derived from say you start on C go up a whole step, a half step, whole step, half step, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts