Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate doing it, but I gotta unload some stuff on EBay to pay the bills:ball: I've never sold any gear online so I'm looking for advice. First of all, should I take the tubes out of my Traynor before shipping? I remember somebody mentioning something about that earlier. Also, what should I ship it in? I also have a Squire Tele that I'm going to put up. Any tips on how to pack these things? Thanx.

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Don't know much about the amp, but I've shipped alot of guitars with success. First thing to do is go to your local music store and see if they'll give you a guitar box that was used to ship a guitar to them in. If you can get a Taylor box, do it - they're built like a brick shithouse.:D Gibson boxes are the next best.

Next, take some crumpled up newspaper and put it in the bottom of the box. Drop the case into the box, then stuff crumpled up mewspaper all the way around and all the way to the top. If you're not shipping in a case, wrap the Tele in bubble wrap a few times, then pack as above. But if no case is used, make sure that sucker won't move while in the box - it will take tons of newspaper to do it.

Price shouldn't be that bad. I've shipped a guitar insured for $3000 via UPS from here in Massachusetts to Califonia for about $35. Throw about $500 for insurance, and you should be able to ship it for about $25.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
PG, on the amp, I have shipped out Vintage Marshalls and what i did was go to Guitar Center and get one of their Marshall boxes and pack it with foam rubber bottom, top and sides. Then I put old towels around everyting and taped the outside of the box up.
I did take out the tubes. They will most likely not survive the shipping. But to make things easy. Take a sharpie and number the tubes L to R where they should go since the bias is set for an optimum push/pull with the tubes in it's exact placement. He will thank you for that as if you just put them loose ina box, the amp will esencially need to be re-biased when he gets it. Sorry to hear you need to sell some of your stuff. I had to do it as well. That old 73 Marshall head I sold cheap too!! I desperately needed the cash. Insure the thing also, so if anything happend in transit, you don't loose out. Offer to split the difference with him. I usually overinsure so I can be compensated for my time in going to find another to replace it. Peace PG!!

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I recently sold a full 1971 Marshall stack on ebay and had to ship from Las Vegas to Rhode Island. I was extremely nervous about shipping because I had heard MANY horror stories about UPS destroying vintage amps and guitars and not paying the insurance because they said it wasn't packed properly!!!So, I took it all to a UPS store and paid them to pack it. I figured they couldn't deny an insurance claim if they did the packing. It cost me $100 extra per cab for them to make a custom made shipping box and to pack it.Don't remember the exact cost for the head but obviously it was cheaper than a cab. I explained to the UPS store manager that it was mandatory that this stuff was packed to survive anything!!! I wasn't going to risk being out $5,000 because they denied an insurance claim!!!! All 3 pieces arrived in Rhode Island safely and the buyer said that it was packed to be bullet proof!!! I was sooooo relieved.!!!!

Oh yeah....I did not remove the tubes, although I have heard that you should.Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Yep...I've shipped a few amps and never removed the tubes and everything was fine...it depends on the amp....some are made to withstand even a UPS ride and survive.

The last head I bought came in a custom made styrafoam block that the UPS store made....I would not worry about it too much.

ALWAYS BUY INSURANCE and if you ship it yourself, ship from the real UPS place and have them inspect it before sealing the box.

I have shipped many guitars with no problems.....just use the hard case or double box them and you should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts