Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the last two songs I've started threads on have been Roth era Van Halen songs, so I figure we'd talk about a Sam tune this time around. That Sam era VH tune being Get Up. You wanna talk about balls to the wall, four on the floor, rockin out with your cock out, amps turned to 11, good ol fashioned hard rock. Get Up is all of that and MORE! It really suffers from a bad mix I think, but once 5150 is remastered I think we'll all enjoy this one even more.

First, how the fuck does Al play that fast and not pass out? It sounds like he's running thru the whole damn thing. Not to mention those fills he adds with those electronic toms. And he does alot of neat snare fills that I'm sure Bryan Gibson would love to talk about if he peeks his head in here. Alex to me is the core of what makes this song so friggin smokin. I love watchin him pull this one off on LWAN, and then play a solo spot after a tune like this...man that's just amazing.

My favorite part of the whole song is the breakdown right before the guitar solo. It's just Ed playin a hot ass guitar lick with Al quietly in the background. I used to rewind the shit out of my cassette listening to this part. It's this little subtle part of a song that makes Ed one of the greatest song writers ever to me. I mean, who thinks of a part like that to throw in the middle of a tune? I'll tell you who. Eddie Van Halen, that's who. Just a very cool part that lets you take a breather from gettin your head beat in, and then Ed just kills it on the solo.

What do you guys think about this tune?

I've attached a demo version of this song for all you dudes that want it

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Bueller?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
This song to me, was proof enough to the doubters that, even with Roth gone, the guys didn't lose their cojones. 4 on the floor, balls out destruction. Great great song.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Tight is an understatement.
This song I have heard played by some Van Halen cover bands here in OZ. While other tunes get a passable playing they, in all but the odd occasion, butcher this. Why? Simple. It takes superior musicianship to play this song. Al gets major credit for the work as should Ed. Mike though is underated in his playing. While bass may look easy, their are some subtle moves he plays, in particular where Sucka pointed out earlier just before the solo. If you love this song, have a listen as well to the Demo Daze version where you hear this in all its unbridled, untamed glory. 4 to the floor and away you go!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what, I think I'll post that demo version in here when I get home as well as a live version. I think I'm gonna do a thread like this monthly featuring a song that I love and post a live clip of it with it. I post the demo tonight.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I love this tune. It's probably as dirty a tone as Ed gets. Mikey's harmonies are great on this too !!!

Just a driving riff, and yeah, it does seem like he's driving a snow plough through the song, knocking anything in his way flying !!!

I love it live when he just holds that note for ages then comes pounding in, and you wonder ig the guitar neck is gonna take such abuse !!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
What a great song Get Up is. I still love listening to that song. I still think that is way underrated.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Oh man this is a killer song!
I remember when this album was getting ready to be released and vh was on mtv doing promos and they was talking about this song how fast the beat was.I think that this is one track that is often overlooked in their list of hall of fame songs.Sucka that is a great idea to do this once a month.

·
Registered
485 Posts
live version on LWAN is simply amazing...seeing all of them pull it off so well, the vocals are awesome! gatta love the stienberger

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't feel tardy...

You asked a few months ago for a comment on Al's playing on this and so I'll throw my hat in the ring. This is one song that I don't even try to touch. I'm not too proud to admit that. His double bass and fills are insane. There are a few spots that he just does a little roll on the snare or two...I guess it's the bridge(?) before the solo. The electric kit he used on the 5150 tour gave him a huge sound that is only achievable on the electric kit. I wish I had that sound on my kit...I have some close ones, which of course, I had to try the "propeller" sound on--if you're familiar with Al's solo spots during the late 80's, you know what I mean. I was suprised at how close I came without being overly fast. Anyway, I love this tune and thanks for including me in the discussion (even if it was 3 months ago!!) :blush:

·
Registered
245 Posts
This song definetely set the standard for what followed, though we expected more in the recent release. This song can be considered a CLASSIC.:icon_thum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts