Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice :dunno: . I have an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty which comes with 3 Epi Humbuckers. I want to exchange the neck for a Gibson 490R. I don't want to exchange the other two. Some people has told me that it is very important to install these always coupled with the same type. In my case, it means getting two 490's...

Any real reason why I couldn't just replace one? Would appreaciate any advice.

Thanks,

AP

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
There is no reason why you wouldnt be able to replace only one of them. Although the gibson humbuckers output would be higher. So the volume levels wouldnt be equal for all pickups. But that wouldnt really matter unless you're switching pickups in a song. Feel free to correct me if im wrong (which i probably am LOL)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Epi and Gibson pickups are really close in output. Not always tone .but at least in output. Theres no reason you shouldnt be able to change them out. You might realize some volume increase. but being in the neck it probably wont be that noticable.
Keith
VGB

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Just to add what has been said, the only time you REALLY need to be cautious is mixing pups is if they are active and passive pups (ie... EMGs are active while the EMG Hz are passive). It can certainly be done, but you will need a preamp. But that is neither here nor there :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all of you guys. Each reply has helped some. Thanks and happy holidays !!:thumb:

AP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts