Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to learn a couple of Jazz solos. Can anybody recommend me a couple songs with really good solos? I don't normally listen to jazz, so excuse me if I sound like a retard.:icon_thum

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not into guitar based jazz, but SRV or Manhattan by Eric Johnson have a sort of jazz feel to them. As for full out jazz, Chameleon is always a favorite for guitar solos.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
I cant give any recommendations about specific leads. There is so much interaction that occurs between chords and leads in Jazz in general that i would focus on chords and then play the variations that occur between them. Check this site for a basic vocalbulary on some jazz chords: www.power-chords.com/Jazz/ People I love to listen to include Pat Metheny, Jean-Luc Ponty (even though he playes electric violin), and Alan Holdsworth, and John Scofield. Anything from them is very difficult playing, but you can catch the ideas on how they play over chords. Some of the best jazz I have heard are all chords leads. Does this help? OK, one example: "Last Train Home", by Pat Metheny. In fact, anything from the album "Still Life Talking" will blow your mind. It's challenging and not meant to discourage you, but to me, that style of playing is so beautiful, I would not want you to miss that treat. Good luck with it.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
Right on 3fingers !

also you don't have to listen to a guitar player at all !.. listen to some miles davis trumpet solos ... some of them are really simple but still sound great and can teach you alot about note placement etc ... also coltrane and the other greats even though aren't guitar players .. can teach you alot about jazz !

·
Banned
156 Posts
Stiglar said:
Right on 3fingers !

also you don't have to listen to a guitar player at all !.. listen to some miles davis trumpet solos ... some of them are really simple but still sound great and can teach you alot about note placement etc ... also coltrane and the other greats even though aren't guitar players .. can teach you alot about jazz !
You're right stiglar. You'll find if you ask most Jazz guitarists what they draw ideas from the answer is horn players and pianists. It inspires their phrasing alot. For trumpeters and sax players, check out the likes of Charlie Parker, Paul Desmond (from Dave Brubecks Band), Dizzy Gilespe, Louis Armstrong (the father of jazz), Wayne Shorter, etc. Also check out pianists like Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Thelonius Monk, Chick Corea, Duke Ellington, etc. As for guitarists, check out the likes of Pat Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, Charlie Christian (the father of jazz guitar), Wes Montgomery (the father of parralel octaves), etc.

Imitate :)

Also there's something that hasn't been mentioned about jazz solos yet: Not 1 is the same. Every time the person solos in the same tune, it's a different solo. Thats the beauty of it. Its improvisation. You won't tap into the true beauty of a Jazz Solo of you dont improvise. Although, i'm sure you can get something out of transribing and learning someone else's solo, you have to realize that it is just one out of a many solos over the exact same tune. Once one is able to improvise as smoothly as possible over changes, is when you truly can play a "jazz solo". :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts