Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if Steve won the grammy for the best rock instrumental track of the year? for the song Whispering a Prayer?. & does anyone know when the grammys will be shown in the U.K ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Best Rock Instrumental Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, without vocals. Includes Rock, Hard Rock and Metal. Singles or Tracks only.)

Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
Brian Wilson
Track from: Brian Wilson Presents Smile
[Nonesuch Records]

Sadly no. :(

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats bs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, Whispering a Prayer is so emotional.

Vai should get more credit than he does.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i never trusted all that grammy/mtv awards/teen choice whatever bullshit to make the right choice when it comes to good music.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
peoples musical tastes grow at different rates .. some hardly grow at all while some grow rapidily at an early age . all this modern music .. its all repetitive and samey for a reason . little kids get bombarded with it and they subconciously end up buying it all . its not music anymore . its an evil mind game played by cooporate tossers who want to make as much money as possible while not caring about how much they ruin the music world .

BUT .. theres good music out there .. GREAT music . alot of very very cool musicians still exist .. just a matter of finding them .. people will learn in time . perhaps for now its best to let the ignorant remain so . and the ones who will "ascend" as it where .. will do so when they are ready .

i agree steve deserves a grammy . he does more for the music business than any dumb ashlee simpson ever will do . but he does get alot of respect in general . not from the punks buying the music .. but alot of bands actually rate him very highly . which is really cool i thought .

its weird ... people who listen to rock have a superiority complex over those who listen to pop and rap . people who listen to instrumental rock have a superiority complex over those who listen to rock . people who listen to shredd have a superiority complex over all straight rockers of bluesers . people who listen to jazz and learn all the music theory ... are the most pompous people you will ever meet ... until they grow up a bit and get over themselves :lol: ... wherever you look theres someone there who thinks hes above you , ... but lets face it ... EVERYONE is above POP hahahahahahaha

*the rambling fades and dannyboy walks away into the mist*

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
dannyboy said:
peoples musical tastes grow at different rates .. some hardly grow at all while some grow rapidily at an early age . all this modern music .. its all repetitive and samey for a reason . little kids get bombarded with it and they subconciously end up buying it all . its not music anymore . its an evil mind game played by cooporate tossers who want to make as much money as possible while not caring about how much they ruin the music world .
LOL pop music has always been an evil mind game by the record companys to make money , they're a business just like any other they wanna make money ! . why do you think they created the monkeys back in the 60's

i don't really like this notion that mtv is so crap now blah blah , every decade has it's shithouse pop music and genres , it's not a new thing .

dannyboy said:
i agree steve deserves a grammy . he does more for the music business than any dumb ashlee simpson ever will do . but he does get alot of respect in general . not from the punks buying the music .. but alot of bands actually rate him very highly . which is really cool i thought .
I agree with that !

dannyboy said:
BUT .. theres good music out there .. GREAT music . alot of very very cool musicians still exist .. just a matter of finding them .. people will learn in time . perhaps for now its best to let the ignorant remain so . and the ones who will "ascend" as it where .. will do so when they are ready .
I think ti's just plain childish to say people who listen to pop are ignorant , I listen to alot of pop on the radio and tv and i like some of it , sure i don't like alot of rap but do i think people who listen to rap are idiots ? um no ! .. Who am I or you to say that they're not mature because they listen to pop ?

dannyboy said:
its weird ... people who listen to rock have a superiority complex over those who listen to pop and rap . people who listen to instrumental rock have a superiority complex over those who listen to rock . people who listen to shredd have a superiority complex over all straight rockers of bluesers . people who listen to jazz and learn all the music theory ... are the most pompous people you will ever meet ... until they grow up a bit and get over themselves :lol: ... wherever you look theres someone there who thinks hes above you , ... but lets face it ... EVERYONE is above POP hahahahahahaha
I think the "mature" musicians don't bother putting people into categorys and just play . stuff like this is just arrogant .

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
hey . whatever man . you have your opinions and i'll have mine . and for gods sake fuck off with the "arrogant" shit . you really don't know me at all if you think im arrogant .

as far as rap goes . i think it used to have a purpose . guys like 2-pac did alot of meaningful rap ... rap that had a message . a way for those dudes to say what they had to say . you listen to most of it now and its all the same thing . about pimpin and banging ho's and driving big flash cars and bling bling .

its just how i feel about it man . no need to go out of your way to try and make me look like the bad guy .. which is what you do alot for some reason .

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
dannyboy said:
hey . whatever man . you have your opinions and i'll have mine . and for gods sake fuck off with the "arrogant" shit . you really don't know me at all if you think im arrogant .

as far as rap goes . i think it used to have a purpose . guys like 2-pac did alot of meaningful rap ... rap that had a message . a way for those dudes to say what they had to say . you listen to most of it now and its all the same thing . about pimpin and banging ho's and driving big flash cars and bling bling .

its just how i feel about it man . no need to go out of your way to try and make me look like the bad guy .. which is what you do alot for some reason .
and how many jazz musicians do you know that think they are above everyone ? you don't know me at all either but apparently that makes me pompous and upmyself because i decided to learn music theory and play a style of music that i love ? isn't that the definition of arrogant ?

you can express whatever opinion you want , it's one thing to say you don't like a certain type of music but generalise everyone who listens to it as ignorant ? I just thought i'd challenge that opinion .

I don't go out of my way to make you look like the bad guy , i was offended so i challenged your opinion with mine . i do it all the time !

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
you take me too seriously . while i do maintain the air of sincerity i do add a pinch of humour and light heartedness with my comments , nobody but my fellow UK bretherin seem to get it . im not saying the rest of you are dumb cause you dont get it .. but fact is .. you dont get it .. im hardly gonna sit n type out all the bands and what not that would take forever :lol: .

just stop taking me 100% seriously dude . i will voice my opinions but if something comes across as arrogant then in all seriousness its likely to be a bit of a joke . i have found most theory nuts ive met to have a big head and an ego problem . maybe ive just been unlucky in the ones i have met . i respect them highly for their knowledge and patience . and im aware not ALL are like that . but even you have to admit alot of them can be .

i am sorry for offending you . but again it boils down to you taking me so seriously . we seem to argue alot and i sincerly hope it isnt because you have some sort of problem with me ... im gonna go and try n find somewhere else where you "state your opinions" to see if you are like this with other people too . :lol: i love you either way bro , i don't want trouble . just fancied having a jokey ramble about bullshitty music industry .. i think we at least agree on a few key things here though :lol:

·
Registered
206 Posts
This probably isn't my business, but... Come on, guys, lighten up a little. Let's get back to the topic of Whispering a Prayer, which IMO should most definately have gotten it...... Vai is a genius.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
sorry for spoiling your thread bro . and sorry for offending you stig mate . i get carried away sometimes and expect people to read my mind lol . im sorry

what were the other tunes up for the grammy too ? they must have been mighty good cause whispering a prayer is pretty incredible

·
Registered
206 Posts
lol dannyboy it's all water under the bridge.

On the topic of the grammys, the only other song I remember well was an instrumental by Los Loney Boys. It was on Steve Vai's official webpage just a while before the grammys, when it was announced that Whispering a Prayer was nominated.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
i see . i'll try n track down the nominated tunes and try n listen to them . they must be damn good if they beat whispering a prayer .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here it is from vai.com...

• “Instrumental Illness”
The Allman Brothers Band - from the album One Way Out. [ Sanctuary ]

• “Onda”
Los Lonely Boys - from the album Los Lonely Boys. [ Epic Records ]

• “O Baterista”
Rush - from the album Rush In Rio. [ Anthem/Atlantic Records ]

• “Whispering A Prayer”
Steve Vai - from the album G3 Live: Rockin' In The Free World. [ Epic Records ]