Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off I want to thank Khaos for this awsome backing track....Dude it Rocks!!!!! Please forgive me if butcher it with this recording, but I am a big Pink Floyd fan and this was one that just gave me goose bump....Don't laugh...I am sure you all have been there too....those goose bumps some how put you in the song not just playing to it.

Ksdb...Check out the bends on this one....I think they are getting better...the tuner does work.

Thanks for taking the time to listening and please throw me some feed back on were I need to improve.:jot: :icon_thum

http://www.guitars101.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=10405.mp3

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Very tasty bro...and the bends were very good!!!:jam: My only suggestion would be to branch out a little more on the fretboard. Sounded to me like everything was played between the 7th and 12th frets. Just try moving around for more of a variety in the sound of your solos. Gr8 job tho!!! It rocked!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch for the kind words guys. It sure is great to have a forum like this and all the great people that come with it. I know myself been new to the whole guitar world find this place a valuable part of the learning process. There are so many great guitar players here and I sure am greatful that you all take the time to help out those of us that are newer to playing the guitar. I hope some day I will be able to return the favor....:icon_thum

sgstd.... I here what your saying dude....right now my playing really doesn't have any direction, I just kinda jump around and play what I think sounds good which comming for a rookie probibly lacks the variety. I sometimes tend to leave out areas of the fret board that I am worse at which shows. I get kinda bumbed at times because I here how accurat everyone eles plays and it just seems that I won't ever get to that stage which lowers the self confidence and then my playing falls off. Thanks for pointing it out...any suggestions?:scratch:

·
Registered
470 Posts
For a new player you sound pretty confident already.... and playing well too!

As for playing in other areas of the fretboard, just remember the notes you are currently used to playing [or hearing] exist all over the neck. It sounds like a comfort zone issue to me. Get used to playing the same notes in different positions then start linking familiar box (pentatonic) shapes. Playing octave shapes is a good idea when branching out. Remember, when playng Bm Pentatonic in the 7th position 7-10 you can play the same thing an octave up i.e 19-22. If you want, I can send you a powertab of Pentatonic shapes all over the neck.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
elecjoy said:
Playing octave shapes is a good idea when branching out. Remember, when playng Bm Pentatonic in the 7th position 7-10 you can play the same thing an octave up i.e 19-22. If you want, I can send you a powertab of Pentatonic shapes all over the neck.
I think this would be a good thing to share with many of your fellow guitarists here. We have all learned to play in different ways and have our own comfort zones; it's great that you have some shortcuts to help us think outside of that box too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ksdb... The tuner works great....best thind I have found where you can hear, feel, and see it all at the same time.

elecjoy...

This is going to sound funny, but I know my pentatonic shapes up and down the neck fairly well. There are some boxes and shapes that I feel more comfortable in than other. I guess the 1st threw 5th frets sometimes give me problems because I have to strech my fingers more and when I get to the 17th fret and higher its gets a little ruff because the neck attaches to the body there and it gets real thick and it's kind of hard to position my hand like I do on the neck.

I think the one thing that haunts me the most is the accuracy of my playing as I mentioned above. I feel that I should be more accurate in my playing at this point which would be about 7 months since I started learning scales. I hear you guys play on here and it is so smoth and accurate plus you keep you playing in sync with the BPMs of the song...another area I am working on. I guess if you don't think you are improving you get kind of bumb out and that screws with you self confidence which shows in my playing. I put in the practice time every day for at least an hour and most days 2 or more.

I have all the pentatonic shapes of the neck, but I could use the major and minor scale shapes and thier modes and any thing else that might help me that you could suggest.

Thanks a bunch for the taking the time to listen and giving your advice...it is appreciated......:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.