Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually play the other guitar, but this is my baby. I think she needs a fret job and definately has a lot of dead spots, but I love her anyway. Every once in a while I got to pull her out and smack her around a bit. BT's are obviously not my own stuff...

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
that second one was pretyt sweet ! one of my favourite sounds on the guitar is light almsot not even touching the string kinda picking .. srv does it heaps in riviera paradise and you did it a bit towards the start of this .. .

progression sounds like stormy monday to my ears .. very cool . the only thing i suggest is in the rising part when it goes .. Ami7 ... Bmi7 ... B Bb Ami7 , try some mixolydian lines or (happy blues licks ... listen to muddy waters doing it .. because he comes up some of the most powerful lines over that little progression it just makes the whole tune ..

very cool though .. i like the sound of the gibson

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stiglar said:
that second one was pretyt sweet ! one of my favourite sounds on the guitar is light almsot not even touching the string kinda picking .. srv does it heaps in riviera paradise and you did it a bit towards the start of this .. .
I really like that kind of playing too. I really like it totally clean, but I can't seem to get it to mix well when I do that. _I_ hear it just fine, and the levels seem good, but it just doesn't seem to come out in the recording. When I really pick it brings it up too high and so I have to turn down...but when I feather it doesn't show up because it is too quiet. I haven't figured out how to capture that stuff well...could be my equipment (I'm just using a $10 cardioid made by behringer).

progression sounds like stormy monday to my ears .. very cool . the only thing i suggest is in the rising part when it goes .. Ami7 ... Bmi7 ... B Bb Ami7 , try some mixolydian lines or (happy blues licks ... listen to muddy waters doing it .. because he comes up some of the most powerful lines over that little progression it just makes the whole tune ..
The BT is called Twelve Bar Very Slow Swing in G. I found it on the net....somewhere. I'm sure it is still around.

Thanks for the input/advice. I will definately give it some thought and testing. Listening to the playback that seems like I got stuck in that very spot a lot.

very cool though .. i like the sound of the gibson
It's an 82 SG (according to serial #) that is different than any other SG I have seen/heard/played. Of course I haven't had the oportunity to play with one of the older models. I also can't identify the model this is. Usually the SG has the plug on the face of the guitar...this one is on the edge. The pickup switch is in an odd place also. There is only a very specific set of SG's with the pickguard I have (I think the 62 and the reissue had it if I remember correctly) and none of them have the switch or the plugin in those locations. Has the devilhead logo and big square inlays. But I have tried to identify it through pictures online and I can't...it doesn't look like any of them...something is always different.

Anyway, lowest action on any guitar I have ever seen. That is why I am scared to have her worked on...don't want to ruin that. Bought her for $350 when I was 15.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
very enjoyable. I love the first track very green onions and some of your playing is reminiscent of Steve Cropper. second track is well laid back and very cool. :thumb:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Nice groove you have here , what is the Gibbo ? , sounds like shes enjoying it to me , nice playing .:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
nice playing! sounds cool..
try adding a little bit of reverb or delay to improve ur tone :)
great job

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Capturing satisfying guitar tones on a recording is a real trick. I like what you have here, but I can empathize with your dissatisfaction at not laying down the tone you wanted. Some of the great guitarists spent lots of time in the studio just searching for that right tone, and that's with having access to all the best tools. Hopefully you can learn some tricks that work with the gear you have. Your blues playing skills are solid. Loved both tracks you posted.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ksdb said:
Capturing satisfying guitar tones on a recording is a real trick. I like what you have here, but I can empathize with your dissatisfaction at not laying down the tone you wanted. Some of the great guitarists spent lots of time in the studio just searching for that right tone, and that's with having access to all the best tools. Hopefully you can learn some tricks that work with the gear you have. Your blues playing skills are solid. Loved both tracks you posted.
What do you think about putting a pop screen in front of my mic? I am wondering if maybe, because the mic is so close to the speaker (far away didn't sound good) if part of my getting too much pick noise is actually mic popping. I can't be sure, but I really honestly don't hear that stuff till I play it back on the recording. Not sure if that is because I am not hearing what I am playing well enough (to involved in the music) or the recording process is adding anomolies. On average it sounds nicer while I play it than when I hear it again.

I am going to work on setting up a better room for recording and maybe a blanket cage for the amp to see what I can come up with. I have been living in a camper trailer all winter because, first certain things didn't happen that I expected when I moved into it (my house was supposed to go away and get replaced with something nicer but the deal fell through), and second because a lot of the power has been going out in my main house and it is full of leaks. I am working on it now though. If I can get all the circuits to come live again without worry of burning the place down I'll be happy.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
andrewtheshreddr said:
nice playing! sounds cool..
try adding a little bit of reverb or delay to improve ur tone :)
great job
If I could just capture the tone of my amp adiquately I don't think I would need that stuff. I am looking at a line6 or a vox though.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bluesplayer said:
Nice groove you have here , what is the Gibbo ? , sounds like shes enjoying it to me , nice playing .:thumbup:
Some sort of SG from '82. One of these days I'll photograph my gear and put it up...then maybe someone will be able to tell me what it is...cause I don't know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts