Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
jazzy rock boy
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, it's me again. this year of high school will present a new challenge to me - president of my guitar club. we meet once every week, and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on teaching to a large audience with mixed skill levels. i'm not worried about stage fright or anything, because i have given lessons in front of people before, but they all were at the same level of playing. thanx in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One thing I like to do when giving lessons to a group (of mixed skill levels) is to concentrate on the actual physical aspect of playing, instead of the theory aspect...

I'll show them some good drills that develop alternate picking skills, for instance. As the students progress with the drill, each student can increase speed, etc.

That way, even the advanced player has something to work on; you can never pick too fast!

You'd be amazed at how doing some simple drills for 10 minutes a day can increase your speed and accuracy!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Is this a club based on a certain style of music? If so, then you can even show things specific to that style that everyone can benifit from.

·
jazzy rock boy
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, we do the exercise portion in the guitar club, but this causes people to leave because they get bored with it every week. it's generally a rock guitar thing, but we have other genres.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
i'd say teach some exercises to warm up and maybe chuck on a backing on cd and get some people to come up and take turns jamming on it ? Could be quite fun .

just some thoughts :)

·
jazzy rock boy
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that sounds like a good idea... hey stiglar, do you have any good backing tracks that we could jam over? maybe we could do like a circle thing, where everybody plays in a clockwise order... we were also thinking about doing guitar maintenance things, too. here's my e-mail for the backing tracks, its [email protected] or [email protected] ... thanx in advance.

·
jazzy rock boy
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i mean jams, though, not just songs... they still have those? i'll check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts