Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Guitar -> Computer, practicing purposes, tech help needed. (thinking V-amp pro)

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  guitarkirkster 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm in need of a little help or I'm afraid I'm gonna blow up stuff

Situation:
For practicing after 10pm etc, I would like to hook up my guitar to my pc and use software like Amplitube or Guitar Rig, using headphones, to do exercises, jam along with MP3's etc. So I used to plug in my guitar straight into the Line In of my sound blaster audigy 2, using a big jack -> small jack convertor (1/4"-1/8" if I'm correct), and it seemed to work, but the sound wasn't quite right (hissy, sharp, snap-crackle-pop). As for latency, no prob with ASIO and the Audigy 2, can even go to 2ms. Raising the latency didn't help the sound-quality.

So I start reading, and seems I would need a DI box to correct stuff like impedance, (as)symmetrical and balanced things, line levels etc. I quite new in that field so I'm looking for advice:

1. I don't want to spent a lot of money and would prefer to stick with my Audigy 2. Do I need a DI box, and which one will to the job ? I'm not gonna need it do to serious recording. Practicing in silence is the first target. I've been looking at some behringer stuff etc, but I noticed the outputs are all XLR, my Line In is a small stereo jack (1/8" if I'm right).

2. I have an ADA MP-1 preamp, could I use that to go from guitar signal to line level that will suit my sound card's Line In ?

3. Will I need a hardware cab simulator to go with a DI box ? Amplitube and Guitar Rig seem to have cab emulations or is that something totally different ?

4. Since impedance comes in the equation, I was wondering if I need to be concerned about my pickups: Dimarzio Breeds, Tonezone, and EMG81 active. (I remember the guy at a guitar store who installed the EMG81 that he had to remove the tone pot due to impedance differences between the EMG81 and the stock Ibanez V7-S1-V8 pickups).

There happen to be some V-Amp Pro for sale around here for 80€. a DI box strats around 30 new. Since the V-Amp pro has Balanced outputs, cab sim, and even a SPDIF digital output (my Audigy 2 has a 2-pin header SPDIF input somewhere on the card if I'm correct), I was wondering if it isn't a better choice than just a DI box (if I need that in the first place to solve my problem).

Thanks in advance.
a tech-puzzled guitarist

See less See more
#2 ·
There are a couple of options for you.

1. Get the V-Amp w/the cab simulations
2. Buy a Behringer Ultra GI-100 DI w/4X12 emulation to use with your ADA MP-1

I personally would go with option 2. I used to use this setup:

Guitar>Rack EQ>DOD G7 Rack Preamp>Behringer Ultra GI DI>PC Soundcard

The Behringer Ultra GI-100 had a built in 4X12 cabinet emulation and it sounds real decent. I used to crank the settings on my DOD preamp and turn down the output volume on my computer and got a real strong recording output but could play and record at 2:00 in the morning.

You could do the same thing with your ADA preamp.

#3 ·
Thx guitarkirkster.

so I wondered, couldn't the V-amp do for me what this Ultra GI-100 DI can do for me if I go for option 2. setup-wise ? the V-amp has balanced XLR outs, and cab sims. Since Ultra GI-100 is Behringer it will be more or less the same DI and cabsim technology no ? besides that I get even more ouput possibilities and the modeling along.

The Ultra GI-100 is new around 45€-50€, hard to find used. I currently have my eyes on a V-Amp as good as new for 95€.

#4 ·
The beauty of the V-Amp Pro is that you wouldn't need the Ultra GI to connect to your computer. The V-Amp Pro has the cab sims and you can connect directly to the computer. The advantage to using your ADA MP-1 is that it gets a true tube flavor and if that is what you use live, you will have the same for recording. I used to have an MP-1 and wish I never would have sold it. Either way is a win-win situation. One option just requires an extra piece.

The manual for the V-Amp Pro tells you how to connect it to your computer for direct recording using the cabinet sims.

#5 ·
I had the V-amp pro...ran it into a Firewire 410 with XLR's...then to PC. The ultra G was nice. You could also just run the line out's right into a soundcard and skip the interface. Either way it works great!

I wish I never would have sold it...it was cool. But I do the same thing with a Vetta.

#6 ·
If you're looking at using the PC for practice/recording or whatever, you might want to look into a Line6 TonePort. I have the Ux2, and I couldn't be happier (maybe with a Ux8, but I really don't have the cash). There is NO latency, none whatsoever, because the tonedirect monitoring is hardware based. It comes direct out of the unit. USB interface, 2 input (line in or xlr), and has models for bass and vocals as well as guitar. There's also 48v phantom power for using condenser or similar mic's. Don't get me wrong, I love my V-amp too, but the TonePort has a ton of features that the V-amp doesn't.

#7 ·
I also use the toneport but have the GX model but the gearbox software is the best part. So many amps and features to play with. I found out that using a distortion pedal between my strat and toneport works for recording if I choose "no amp" and just pick a cabinet. This also allows me to use the virtual effects pedals in gearbox. Kind of cool if a player has a distinct tone they use and want to record it without all the extra gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.