Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I've had a guitar port for a couple of years or so, and I'm really happy with it. It's all I use when I record stuff. I've even used it to record harmonica, and I was very happy with the results.
Havent used my amp at all since I got the guitar port, except for playing live.
I think it's great! :thumb:
Haven't used rifftracker tho...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Soloist, I have both the Guitar Port AND Rifftracker. The only thing you CAN'T do with GP is play outside of your PC. It's great for recording, and doesn't take rocket science to figure it out.

Here's the positives and negatives of Rifftracker.

Positives
1) Built in drum machine that's easy to program...just dial in the tempo and go
2) Very easy to use...I was blown away with what I was able to get out of it on the first recording I ever did. I basically just laid a simple rhythm track, told the software I wanted a lead-in count for timing purposes and every time the rhythm was at the end, it would auto-loop so I could lay multiple solos then go back and choose which one(s) I liked best and deleted the others.
3) If you're using GP with it, you can change your tone settings of the GP right within the Rifftracker window instead of having to switch screens back and forth.
4) For $99, I thought it was very good for a beginning-level recorder as myself

Negatives
1) You cannot import mp3 or wav files to use as backings or for sound effects in your songs. The software only accepts importing of Rifftracker files.
2) Along with that, you CANNOT collaberate on songs with anyone else unless they, too use Rifftracker. (See #1)
3) If you activate Rifftracker with your Guitar Port hardware, you cannot use Rifftracker with a POD XT, POD XT Live, or POD XT Pro if you decide to upgrade to one of the more expensive units. The reason behind this has to do with a Line 6 License Key issue...they currently are not transferrable to any other unit than the one you've activated Rifftracker with. Line 6 has told me since December-ish that they are indeed working on a solution to allow transferring of License Keys to those of us who upgraded from the $99 GP to a $400 XT Live. But that has been 3 months, and they say they're STILL trying to work the bugs out of their transfer design. So, don't hold your breath. (The reason this is a big deal is that I paid an additional $100 to Line 6 for the upgraded model packs for my XT Live that allows more amps, effects, etc....so basically, I cannot use them to record, only to jam with)
4) It costs extra to get different drum sounds, beats, etc. So the factory drumsounds are pretty basic.

Summary
If you don't plan on using other people's backing tracks to solo over or don't plan on collaberating on songs with other musicians, this is a cost effective way of getting a professional sounding recording. But I personally would much rather spend $149 for Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 which allows importing of mp3 and wav backings than to pay an additional $99 for Rifftracker. The one true positive of Rifftracker is the built in drum machine...very easy to use, and easy to adjust intensity level of the drums, variations of the drum, cymbal hits, etc.

Hope this helps!

Wes

·
Registered
147 Posts
Soloist, here are a couple of tracks I recorded using Guitar Port and Rifftracker only. Maybe this will give you some kind of idea whether or not it's what you are looking for.

Wes

By the way, the "Bounce" track was my first attempt EVER at using recording software. Listen to all the layered guitars and you'll get what I said in my last post about how the software "loops" your rhythm and allows you to stack many guitars on top of each other for a huge wall of sound. Solo after each loop to your heart's content and just delete the ones you don't like later!

G

·
Hi

I am new to guitars and want to start takeing it serious was wondering is it worth getting a guitarport with the rifftracker or would it be a waste of money for someone like me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Lawless33,
Which version of GP were you using for slither.mp3? I'm running the latest version (2.51) and looking to create a rhythm sound similar to that track.

Any chance you could fill me in on the technical details?

Sincerely,
Frank

·
Registered
147 Posts
Frank, I used version 2.51 also...but I've done a horrible job at remembering which patch I used for all my songs....I've realized that now I have to rename my patches to the same as the corresponding song I recorded it with. And I've updated patches off various internet sites too...I'm sure I have that patch, but no idea which one it was....but it's in the tones folder I posted in the "Amp Modeling" thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Lawless33,
Yeah I know how that goes. I have more tracks in my DAW lableled "Experiment XXX" that I want to count! So now that I label them sort of like this:

Stratocaster Ampmodel otherino.gpt

folks say my patch names are too long! Doh!

But at least I know there's hope. Guitar Port hasn't been the easiest thing to coax a good recording tone out of, for me anyway.

I'll go back and find that thread where you posted your patches.

Any suggestions on which one to try first?

·
Registered
147 Posts
My faves in that folder are:
(with some funny names)

1) My favorite tone ever!
2) Dokken
3) Heavy Tone
4) Heavy Tone 2

Depends on the type of music that you want to create...but those have worked the best for me...let me know if you need anything else...I just uploaded that tone folder within the last week or 2, and it doesn't include the factory patches, as you already have them...just the ones I either created or modified.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i use my GP with Guitar Tracks Pro 2....GT Pro instantly recognizes GP making setup a breeze...being able to use mp3s, etc, is a major factor for me...you DO have to mess with file conversions but it's pretty painless...

the "JaxxBlues" in my attachments was done with this setup, albeit my 1st attempt so i didn't have things set up right....sounds ok...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am so in love with the GP that I hardly ever plug in to my practice amp at home anymore! Plus, I enjoy playing online on Paltalk, and the newer camfrog site, and GP works amazingly well on those sites (voice chat sites)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts