Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

GuitarsAndTacos vs verga (10 votes to win)

• GuitarsAndTacos

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • verga

Votes: 10 71.4%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
whoa, that was awesome!!! Did you find tab for that tapping part, or how did you figure it out? Sounded great! I only wish the recording quality was a bit better - quite a bit of static. But, that's a very small detail, the technique was great, very smooth. Great harmonies, loved it!

Did you do the backing track too? Can I get a copy of it please?

-dc

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much drcode, and yeah the mix on this one was a little rushed... I'm thinking of re-recording it later for non-battle purposes

When I get space in my attachment thingy, I'll upload the backing track (it has bass, drums, and keys). And for the tab, I looked it up at a site called MySongBook.com, it's basically a site where you can download GuitarPro tab files... Guitarpro is a program that lets you compose and learn songs, it plays it for you in MIDI. Very good program to learn new things, and you can export the tab to a MIDI and that into an MP3 (which is how I got the BT for this song).

Man, I'm eager to hear Verga's take :bannana_g

·
Registered
121 Posts
:notme: good job , man! very nice technique,yeah, but take care,cos the solo effect is with too much treble & middle... mkay , nice job! waitin' for Verga's...

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Very awesome , dude! Great playing and technique! :dance:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Great playing. Could you upload the backing track for me please :)

Here is my challenge song: Boston Rain Melody
Good luck!:icon_peac

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Verga, how do you get that wet sound like Vai. He uses that sound heavily in Blood & Tears, but haven't been able to grasp it. It sounds like the wah pedal is partially active. Is there another effect used as well?

Awesome work BTW, as always. :D :woot:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
keihan said:
Verga, how do you get that wet sound like Vai. He uses that sound heavily in Blood & Tears, but haven't been able to grasp it. It sounds like the wah pedal is partially active. Is there another effect used as well?

Awesome work BTW, as always. :D :woot:
Am i the only one who likes to play and experiment with his volume/tone knob on his guitar (really important thing)? ;) The tone is MY tone, not a Vai-ish tone. Maybe it could sounds like him because the song recalls Steve´s tone but its not the same. I use a Mesa Boogie triaxis ver.2 for distortion (most the time) and he uses a Boss DS-1 i think. Try with some "creamy" dist to sound like Vai, with a lot of treble (carefull to not sound like the fly efect...noizy!) and mids for sustain. A good compressor and learn the legato technique as him. I mean, like him because his style is very particular. I dont think no one on earth could sound like him. Maybe closer but not like him. Its like he were talking on legatos.... sorry for the long talk, and thanks for your comments:thumbup:

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
DOH! :doh:

I just realized after listening to this again, that I am thinking of another one of your Vai renditions from another battle. Don't mind me, too much coffee got me buzzin' :scif890:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Great job verga, loved the tones :) Very nice phrasing and playing. You are a very smooth player!

What were you using for your clean sound, was that the TriAxis too? That is the one thing I've always hated about my TriAxis is the clean sounds are so shitty. I don't have a compressor though, which I'm sure is a huge part of it. Anyway, tell me about your clean sound, I dug it!

Going to be tough to judge!

-dc

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
DrCode said:
What were you using for your clean sound, was that the TriAxis too?
-dc
Hehehehee, you wouldnt beliebe man.... the clean part was recorded with a digitech GNX unity that i just got as a 2nd place prize on a shity jazz contest. Its NOT a clean sound at all. Its an acoustic simulator with a bit of gain on an Ibanez RG550 single coil pickup ;) Haerd to beliebe uh? Digitech is nasty on some things but is superb in other efects :icon_peac Im not a triaxis lover that much Doc. I bought it because i was obsessed with Dream Theater and particullary with Petrucci dist sound. I think the same about the clean patch there too. Thanks for your comments man, you know you are the man.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
GuitarsAndTacos said:
hey verga that was really good... i like the playing and tone in your take on Boston Rain Melody... Great technique!!!! :bowdown:
The same for you man. That was killer! This looks like is going to be a hard battle:rock: Rock on!

·
Registered
121 Posts
huh

it's very hard to make a choice! great job guys!!! thank U for those songs,i like both of them :) went with verga at this time,the reason is(probably) : it's full with feeling! :icon_thum

·
Registered
189 Posts
DUDE!!!

You guys kick some serious ass! They are both awesome i'm gonna go and crawl into my room and start practising a hell of alot more.

Has anyone heard freak kitchen?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts