Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed quite a few birthday's on here, so I figured I'd share a birthday song with you all that I did with for a good friend that was very instrumental in helping to promote my career.

I met this guy from the Netherlands named Fred Monster a few years back. The guy really pushed and promoted my stuff like a champ. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a show in England and we got to talking. He asked me if it would be too much trouble to record a little acoustic guitar and sing happy birthday to him....since his birthday was coming early in the week. Of course I couldn't say no, so as soon as I got home I began working on doing it for him. What I thought would just be a few chords and the traditional happy birthday we all know and love, became a 2 week project to where I re-wrote the entire tune. LOL!!!! Needless to say, the guy really went nuts over this and told me it was one of the best presents he ever received as a birthday gift.

I had just gotten my Roland V Drums and wasn't really sure of how to use midi and use instrument assignments at the time, and as a matter of fact, this was my very first PC recording experience. I used Cakewalk pro audio and was clueles as to how it worked, but I fumbled my way through it pretty well for the most part. Other than me singin to a dude, (lol no offense to Fred!) I absolutely love this tune and have sent it to quite a few people throughout the world inserting their name in the chorus so they too could enjoy it. Hopefully, you guys will too...not perfect, but a pretty cool lil jam if nothing else. :)

Attachments

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
nice. Had an 80's feel. Gr8 voice and playing. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The production values on that are pretty impressive for a home project. It would hard for me to get that same kind of sound quality out of my PC. :scratch:

Even though you did a creative arrangement of this, wouldn't this be considered a cover song?? Thought maybe it should be in the Covers & Tributes thread.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Excellent rendition on the standard happy birthday :thumb:
The sound quality is great, as is the instrumentation. I need to pick your brain to see if I can get even close to this quailty with Cubase and my PC.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
:bowdown: This is fucking brilliant. completely nuts but fantastic at the same time. :bowdown:

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
danny D- gr8 playing, and I think you share good insights, but, well you type too much. nah, it's just me and my ADD!!lol:lol:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

ksdb: I can get ya sqaured away with that pc thing. ;) On the cover thing, I really wasn't sure what to do with this. The chords used don't even resemble the original version..lol..so I figured it might count as a "halfie". :)

stingx: Pick away man, that's what I'm here for.

flair: sorry if my massive typing may annoy you. ;) I just try to explain things in depth so that people always know where I'm coming from. Also, I try to do it for those that may be curious about the events that surround the comment. I know you were only joking, but I've been told before that I have a little too much to say. I guess it goes with being a loner that lives in a world of music that seldom gets the chance to share the logistics of the musical realm. I'll try to be more careful and not type novels anymore. I get a bit too carried away, but just like to be in depth and informative. Sorry if it annoyed anyone...seriously. (said with a smile) :icon_thum

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
Dude I was just kiddin!! Actually you are one of the few that when you type alot, your points are always competent and not stupid ramblings. Peace Out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Danny D, I'm already impressed with your guitar playing and now hearing you sing and making this song your own is just absolutely awesome. I loved it man!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks sg, Scott, gtar, rid and Sunnie! I appreciate the compliments and you all taking the time to check this out. :)

Flair: I knew you were kidding, honest. :) That's why I mentioned "said with a smile". But I DO type a lot! LOL!! As long as it's a bit helpful, right? :) Take care..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts