Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interviewing for a new, much higher paying job tomarro. Not to put the buggy before the horse, but if I get it I want to get something nice. I really like my Tribute Legacy so thought I might get another G&L. But there are so many damn cool combinations! How the hell does a person decide?!

Trying to decide between ASAT Bluesboy, ASAT Bluesboy semihollow, ASAT Delux, and the Legacy Special. I have decided I will probably get ebony fretboard with the vintage frets (smaller). Also want locking tuners and a graphite nut. I figure on a delux paintjob also but can't decide between redburst and blueburst :p

I have never really played anything with an ebony board though...how do you guys like them? How about the pickups on the Special? They are the single coil sized humbucker design.

some links:

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=LegacySpecial
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=ASATClassicBluesboy
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=ASATDeluxe

The last one has the redburst, blueburst is here:
http://www.glguitars.com/finishes/finish.asp?id=26

Damn, greenburst looks cool too:
http://www.glguitars.com/finishes/finish.asp?id=25

I guess I got plenty of time to decide if I even get the job, but damn...it's gonna be hard. Life can be so tough sometimes :scif890:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rythameen said:
If it was me, I'd go for the Bluesboy......just cause I don't have a Tele, and want one.
Well, all the ASATs are telecasters. The bluesboy has the seth lover humbucker at the neck. The standard classics have the original style modified a touch. The delux has semor duncan humbuckers. And there are other options!

In fact the delux lets you turn the humbuckers into single coils with a switch.

There is also solid vs. semihollow with or without an f hole. :wtf: to get?

The classic was actually crunchier than any of them it seemed to me. I was rather surprised by this because I expected the humbuckers to be. It could be the difference in body though, both humbucker bodies I tried were semi-hollow but the standard classic was solid.

That is part of the problem in getting something custom made for you...unless the store selling it to you has a shit load of options in stock it is hard to test the different things to see for sure what you want. I do have the option of not buying it if it isn't right, but then what? Try again? He might start getting upset after the first 5 tries? :rant:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I can't honestly say I've heard any of these guitars, but I like the look of the delux a lot! I think it would looked wicked awesome in the blueburst. And the single/humbucker switch option is great. I think that the semi-hollow bluesboy with f hole in redburst would look awesome as well, and sounds good I'm sure (I have a soft spot in my heart for the semi-hollow sound)

·
Registered
264 Posts
tele's and ebony

I had a 50th sunburst tele , gold hardware, maple neck. The only guitar I ever owned that had brittle finish and the neck was chipping all over by the fingerboard edges. Guess Fender felt some plausible denyability on that one, refusing to warranty the neck. I about went postal. Just spent 12,500 on their instruments. As luck would have it, I did nothing worthy of incarseration, and ultimately sold it cheap to a sprouting young Guitarist in Hawaii.
When I heard he was looking at copies, and mexi's, I put down my American made frozen enchilada T.V. dinner, and asked him if he'd like a sweet tele that needed a neck refinishing cheap. It arrived at his house Christmas eve, '04. He kept thanking me, 'till it was getting old, but all that did was make me think of Fender's decision. The other 50th I got, was red with a rosewood fretboard, and a nicer case. I was so pissed, I gave that one to my brother-in-law. Now, I play slide on an SG set so low, that I fret out the high E all the time. guess what. the neck has no chipping.
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to rant, but, I have a '64 6122 with an ebony fingerboard, and I replaced the frets with fat ones, and sanded the rough factory lines from the surface. I changed the super'tron and rewired a Seymore Duncan for single/hummbucking, and got rid of the cheasy tuners. Now, even with the Bigsby it stays tuned, and I almost like ebony the best now. Hard to decide if you don't get to check out the differences for more than a few hours.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would go with the bluesboy

I have a G & L legacy with the jumbo frets and Fullerton maple V neck. I bought it new in 1995. Since you already have the legacy, I would buy the bluesboy with the humbucker in the neck position. That way you can get almost any sound you need on a gig. My live set up is the legacy and a 69 tele with a red lace sensor in the bridge position running thru a Cyber twin. With these two guitars, we do godsmack, SRV, toby keith and everything in between. They never fail to give me everything I need. When I stop bringing the old Tele to gigs ( I'm saving it for my 7 year old son), I will buy a bluesboy to replace it.
:bannana_g

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hiyaka said:
I have a G & L legacy with the jumbo frets and Fullerton maple V neck.
What do you think of the V neck? Is it more or less like the neck on a Martin? How do the two compare?

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
you need a new guitar ? sounds like someone has a serious case of G.A.S :smirk:

:lol:

Just kidding around mate , seriously though .. i never really liked those telecasters with the 1 or 2 humbuckers in them .. . they just never felt or sounded right for me , i don't know you may be different , i'd go for that first strat with the naturalish kinda finish or that green burst one that looks like one hell of a guitar! looks quite versatile and would pack a punch!

goodluck :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
nroberts said:
What do you think of the V neck? Is
it more or less like the neck on a Martin? How do the two compare?
I love the V neck, it really fits into your hand and is very comfortable to play in every position. The jumbo frets on it also makes it very sweet to play. I've never played a martin so I really can't compare it. There is a definite difference between the V neck and the standard neck my tele has. When I switch to the tele it takes me a minute to get used to the slim neck and stardard size frets. I find I have more speed and accuracy on the V neck then on the standard one.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stiglar said:
you need a new guitar ? sounds like someone has a serious case of G.A.S :smirk:
It's terminal man.

Just kidding around mate , seriously though .. i never really liked those telecasters with the 1 or 2 humbuckers in them .. . they just never felt or sounded right for me , i don't know you may be different , i'd go for that first strat with the naturalish kinda finish or that green burst one that looks like one hell of a guitar! looks quite versatile and would pack a punch!

goodluck :thumb:
Yeah, when I played around with the different versions I decided on the classing asat. It has the magnetic field density single coils on both neck and bridge. The others just didn't have the same crunch.

I already have a G&L Tribute Legacy so spending 1500 on another legacy would seem weird to me. But spending that much on an asat seems more justifiable :p

Actually it kind of looks like I won't be able to anyway. I don't think I got the job.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hiyaka said:
I love the V neck, it really fits into your hand and is very comfortable to play in every position. The jumbo frets on it also makes it very sweet to play. I've never played a martin so I really can't compare it. There is a definite difference between the V neck and the standard neck my tele has. When I switch to the tele it takes me a minute to get used to the slim neck and stardard size frets. I find I have more speed and accuracy on the V neck then on the standard one.
There is another area where I am kind of questioning. I was looking more at the vintage frets. I definately want the ebony fingerboard and was looking at the V neck, which I would probably get, but with the thinner frets. You think the standard jumbo are better though?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts