Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
For me Joe, Formbys tung oil is the best. it wipes on, drys well, and lasts forever. It also allows you to wipe the gunk off without wiping the finish off.
If you get any gunk on the neck a cotton ball and a little rubbing alcohol will take the gunk of and leave the finish like its brand new.

Formby's also allows you to recoat at anytime without any prepwork besides cleaning and using a tack cloth to remove any residues.

If your going to logo the headstock and want it permanent, mask off the fretboard and neck and shoot the logo'd headstock with a quality poly finish to seal the logo.
VB

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok...i have the Formby's Tung Oil low gloss but the instructions are a little confusing about using Formby's steel wool finishing pad after drying? Can you please explain the application method you use...thanks

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hey Joe. i use a soft lint free cloth for the initial application. I let it dry almost completely and re- apply. you can use the steel wool grade 0000 inbetween to make it super slick. just use a cheese cloth to get off any dust from the 0000 wool.
VB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts