Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I edited the post only to have a chance to say HI to everyone here cause, if you haven't noticed, I'm a noob to the forum.

I've got an issue here that I'd love to solve ASAP. I'm considering an upgrade to my guitar's hardware. You can see the specs here--->>> Ibanez SA160QMAM

I mostly play alternative music but sometimes have to do recordings for funk, hip hop and experimental music so I need a versatile setup. I was thinking on purchasing a DiMarzio PAF Pro for the bridge and am stuck on what I should combine it with for the other two single coil positions. I was told the HS-2 or HS-3 would be a good choice coupled with either a Red Velvet or Blue Velvet from DiMarzio.

Also, does anyone know if this guitar needs F-Spaced pickups or normal ones?

Any suggestions? I'm just a few clicks away from making the purchase. HELP PLEASE!

·
Banned
488 Posts
I would Suggest a Dimarzio Evolution in the Bridge or Dimarzio X2N in the Bridge and a Dimarzio ToneZone in the Neck.......now if u want alot of power go with an EMG-81....they are active and need a 9v Battery but trust me....active is worth it......EMG-81 is Powerfull.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Just a question..... I've heard that if you already have a high gain amp that you dont need a high gain pickup, and that if you use one it turns your sound to mud. So if you have a high gain amp it's better to use a lower powered pickup like a PAF. Is there any truth in this?

·
Banned
488 Posts
well, changing the pickups in a guitar wont make a huge differnce. if u have a GOOD amp..then u dont need to change pickups i got stock in one of my guitars and it sounds just as good as my Ibanez or my Bc Rich or my MM1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I play through a Marshall AVT275 and I can get a good sound out of it. It just sometimes seems the sounds gets a bit muddy for some of the pickup selections. Also the single coils hum a lot and would really like to either get rid of the hum or tone it down. Another plus would be increased sustain.

One more thing. I went to SD's site and heard some audio samples for most of the pickups that I've read about that fit my style of playing. I definatelly like the SD JB for a bridge pickup.

What other pickup would be a good choice for the other S/S Neck and Middle positions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.