What else is there? :wutblau:
I am just trying to be more rounded.

Thanks for any help at all! :thumb:

·
Registered
665 Posts
to quote malmsteen
let me make something clear I am amazing at guitar haha just messing man
umm you might want to mess around with major scales practicing them as much as you can
play them up as high as you can
and down as low as you can
do it in every key
start in different positions on the neck (not for triple octaves) but just doodle around with them a ton and it should hel you find the notes you want without being stuck in patterns

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok stupid newbie question
what is the diff between a major scale and the stuff i already know?? (the stuff i know being the link i put in the last msg.) :scratch:

thanks for the answer!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I hope this helps u
the left side is the lowest string going to right which is going higher up in strings.

The Key is the root of it all, as an example if ur soloing in G, u will have that in either 3 or 15. then u have the other Scales beside it, Position 5 and Position 2. One of them is an explanation the other is 5 positions

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
The thing that helped me alot was...

i learnt the blues positions prolly the same ones you did .. but try connecting them together .. moving from one position to the next .. i've attached a quick example

that was just off the top of my head i haven't got my guitar with me .. but my point is just connect up the patterns you know .. it will help you move alot more round the neck rather than be in one position and helps build your technique too... experiment and see what you can come up with

the notes i've put in a red square , you should play those with your first finger .. thats when the transition between positions happens .. if you need any help just let me know hope this helps :)

Stig

·
Registered
665 Posts
fenderstrat said:
ok stupid newbie question
what is the diff between a major scale and the stuff i already know?? (the stuff i know being the link i put in the last msg.) :scratch:

thanks for the answer!
bassicly the major scale is all the notes that are in the key arranged into the root.2nd.3rd.4th.5th.6th.7th and octave
your probably playing pentatonics which is a portion of the major scale
the major is scale is that do rey me crap they taught you in elementary school lol :werd:
I dont want to copy any one elses work but if you google major scale a few sites will come up to show you how to play it
if not i can do a crappy tab right here as an example of the g major scale

e3 e5 a2 a3 a5 d2 d4 d5
if you move everything up 2 frets that would be a A major scale or whoever many you want the root note being what key it is in

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks a lot guys!

grant, what you posted the second picture, I know 1,2,3 & 5 but not 4 so will start to practice it now.

stiglar, that is a great little exercise and i will start to practice it daily.

thanks again guys!!!

aaron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
grant said:
I hope this helps u
the left side is the lowest string going to right which is going higher up in strings.

The Key is the root of it all, as an example if ur soloing in G, u will have that in either 3 or 15. then u have the other Scales beside it, Position 5 and Position 2. One of them is an explanation the other is 5 positions

Hey another question
on the second attachment, the 5th position can be played "in-front" of the 4th position or also "in-front" of the 1st correct?

thanks again this is a really big help!

·
Registered
235 Posts
fenderstrat said:
Hey another question
on the second attachment, the 5th position can be played "in-front" of the 4th position or also "in-front" of the 1st correct?

thanks again this is a really big help!
The 5th position has a scale that has one straight line to the right. the First position has a Straight Line to the left. so thus if u were soloing in e
E)10-12-15
B)10-12-15
G)9-12-14
D)9-12-14
A)10-12-14
E)10-12-15

The Twelveth Fret is E.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I personally wouldnt get too tangled up with tabs and patterns if I were you though
You should practice playing all over the neck

·
Registered
235 Posts
bbkane said:
I personally wouldnt get too tangled up with tabs and patterns if I were you though
You should practice playing all over the neck
These Patterns help you being familliar with the Neck. But yet, I never learnt them until 8 months of me playing. I found i did well with Pattern one. But then my teacher, wanted me to learn em, so i did, and now the whole neck i can use when I solo with these patterns, they are great :D.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Here is a real Newbie question.

I have been learning about 2 1/2 months and have been doing some easy tab work with song that are alot of power chords just to try and get used to moving around the fretboard in a nice simple easy way as I am completely left hand un-dextrous (being righthanded).

I want to start to broaden my technique to include some scales.
Would it be best to start with the Major scale & learn that??

Cheers for any help

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went to the scale chart, and from there to the "how to solo" link. What pops up on the next page? A picture of None other than Stevie Ray Vahn.
Now I know what how to solo is. Stevie had the long fingers too. I used to play a Stones song that was all the fifth position pentatonic two note w/ hammer ons, and boy even with a 3/4 scale neck it gave me finger stretch marks. I started using drop D so I could play the bar with one finger and slack on the hammer on. Iafter I memmorized the sets, I started playing all the tunes in drop D just to breeak up the monotony of repetative shows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.