Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Whats that smell?
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to learn to play lead guitar. I consider myself a intermediate player but never learned how to play lead. What are a couple of good scales to start with. Hard rock and rock are my musical preferences. :mix:

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Hi,

A good number of rock and metal songs make use of scales such as
The pentatonic minor
The Dorian scale
The Harmonic Minor Scale

I wish I had more time on my hands to be more specific, but this would be a start.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
The best thing to do (in my opinion)

is start with the pentatonic or blues scale .. and master that first ..

i think the main problem is people don't master these things before moving on ...

when you want to move on you can add 1 or 2 notes to these scales and form the modes but that comes later on ...

learn the basic pentatonic/blues scales .. and try and learn some really simple blues licks off records of clapton/srv/ etc .. maynot be the style your looking for but it's a great place to start

hope that helps ...

·
Whats that smell?
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I didn't mean to pigeon hole a certain style. I would love to learn some blues scales. It gets to be somewaht confusing in what scale to choose to start with. Thanks for your input guys.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
rjmjajrj said:
Thanks guys. I didn't mean to pigeon hole a certain style. I would love to learn some blues scales. It gets to be somewaht confusing in what scale to choose to start with. Thanks for your input guys.

Stiglar is absolutely right.
There's tons to do just with the pentatonic scale.
For further enlightment, go to this site .

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with Stiglar pentatonic and blues are the most versatile for rock music. You can almost throw a pentatonic in any song and make it sound good.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I actually disagree with the common notion that people should learn pentatonics first. What happens is they miss out on the basic concept of playing in a major or minor key signature, they get so used to playing only 5 notes instead of 7. My personal suggestion would be to learn the major and minor scale first. Then from there, learn all of its modes. I dont like teachers who teach people pent first - many students never grow out of it. This breeds the whole slew of people that have been playing for 3 or 4 years and say "im stuck in pent box shapes". But it's not just about scales, its about how to use scales over a given chord progression. One should learn how to fit chords with chord-tones or chord-scales. Note: You can do alot more with normal scales and modes over a chord progression then you can with only 2 types of pents.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Excellent point. The pents will really get you started. Check out some AC/DC or Led Zep and you will be jamming on those leads in no time :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Lydian said:
I actually disagree with the common notion that people should learn pentatonics first. What happens is they miss out on the basic concept of playing in a major or minor key signature, they get so used to playing only 5 notes instead of 7. My personal suggestion would be to learn the major and minor scale first. Then from there, learn all of its modes. I dont like teachers who teach people pent first - many students never grow out of it. This breeds the whole slew of people that have been playing for 3 or 4 years and say "im stuck in pent box shapes". But it's not just about scales, its about how to use scales over a given chord progression. One should learn how to fit chords with chord-tones or chord-scales. Note: You can do alot more with normal scales and modes over a chord progression then you can with only 2 types of pents.
True too. But we're trying to not scare the newb off! :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have to agree with Lydian. He should have some foundation like the theory to understand the structure of music. After that it's magic. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
scalaphobia

After studing music theory for 2 years I would have to say that learning the major (Ionian) scale and the 3 minor scales (natural, melodic, harmonic) is job one, since 90% of pop music uses these scales. If you can learn these scales all of the modes, penta scales, whole tone scales, etc... become very easy to understand and use in an effective manner.
I would definatly study the major and minor scales 1st. But... always do what sounds interesting and fun rather than what people tell you to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im just a beginner

I think ya are suposed to learn C major first and r w w h w w w r .Root Whole Whole Half Whole Whole Whole Root.
From my understanding once you know that in A - A# - B -C - C# - D - D# - E - F - F# - G - G# .Then you know all the major scales in the first mode.Then it is easy to change it to a minor,pentatonic,or full chords using simple formulas.
This may be to novice for this thred.
,Part

1 - 14 of 14 Posts