Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brilliant...yes...gr8 player, writer. Yup . Jimi had it goin on. However, every time i talk to someone about him, it's "i could only imagine if he were still alive...." BS!!!!!!! Look, the dude may have been the best had he lived, or maybe not. His excessive lifestyle put his career to a short end. His fault. He was stupid in that sense, mindless and stupid. Would had he had the technique of steve vai-probably not. Would he get the brown sound that EVH got-nope. He surely would have evolved, but give me a break, give credit to the guitarists that have been working their arses off for the last 20 years, not some dude who only really released what, 4 maybe 5 albumns. Jimi Hendrix was gr8, but was also the most OVER_RATED guitarist of our time. In other words Jimi is not God, and I daresay not the best guitarist in the world. :spank:

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I respect hendrix and what he did but never been a huge fan (don't kill me mickey) lol

i think he did alot for guitar whilst he was alive and you know what def leppard says !

better to burn out than fade away !

·
Registered
225 Posts
flair said:
Brilliant...yes...gr8 player, writer. Yup . Jimi had it goin on. However, every time i talk to someone about him, it's "i could only imagine if he were still alive...." BS!!!!!!! Look, the dude may have been the best had he lived, or maybe not. His excessive lifestyle put his career to a short end. His fault. He was stupid in that sense, mindless and stupid. Would had he had the technique of steve vai-probably not. Would he get the brown sound that EVH got-nope. He surely would have evolved, but give me a break, give credit to the guitarists that have been working their arses off for the last 20 years, not some dude who only really released what, 4 maybe 5 albumns. Jimi Hendrix was gr8, but was also the most OVER_RATED guitarist of our time. In other words Jimi is not God, and I daresay not the best guitarist in the world. :spank:
I have to agree with you there flair....but I'd also like to add a few things if I may. When people worship the old school dudes, this is mostly due to the impact they had on them at the time. Most of us on here were raised on a more polished, processed guitar tone/playing ability. If Hendrix was all we had and was the first dude we ever heard rip on a guitar, we might feel differently about him, know what I mean?

It's like EVH today. We love the dude because we were raised on him and he was an innovator. Just like Hendrix. If we had a huge guitar contest on this site, I'd bet you that the majority of good players would blow EVH into the dust....even when he was on top of his game. We've all evolved, improved, took things several steps further, ya know?

But the impact and creativity is where we'd ALL get smoked. Hendrix had his moments, but the main thing he did was open everyone's eyes and ears up to rock guitar. That merit all in it's own is something you're lucky enough to get to see once in a lifetime. Our time is/was the EVH era. Eddie did the same thing. He rocked his way into our lives, tapped his way into our practice schedules and redifined the instrument as we know it in a language anyone could understand.

All of the above doesn't make ANY of the past or present guitar gods....the best. They served their purpose, helped to mold a world of players, should be appreciated for their merits and recognized as such. But the fact remains, the majority of us could technically smoke them like a joint....let's be serious. All ego's aside. The flip side to that is can we out-write them or out-create them? I would say most definitely not. We have the capability, but so much has been done, it's going to take someone with a demented mind to push things to the next level.

Guys like Petrucci, Romeo, Gilbert, Malmsteen....all fantastic, but very similar in ways. Once you get that technical, you lose the normal, everyday listener. Guys like them will only achieve super acclaim through delivering the other goods.....songwriting. Malmsteen tasted a little, Petrucci did also, Gilbert especially with Mr. Big. But that said, none of them have any material that would be considered a classic and heard 30 years from now. So one has to really look deeper into things and ask if they really are gods at all in the realistic scheme of things....follow me? ;)

When anyone is a trend setter, they will always get a bit more acclaim than we feel they should. I never liked Page's lead guitar playing....but no one can deny he played every lick known to man (though sloppy) and created and produced songs that will be here when I'm gone. Hendrix did it, EVH did it, and Cobain did it too...as much as I hate that dude, he created something new that the majority loved. So it's all about being a trendsetter, when you were born and how much of an impact the musician in question had on you. If you seriously think about it, over-rated is only in the eyes of the follower. :) Good thread man.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Hendrix falls into the same catagory as Randy Rhodes and other extremely talented artists who died very young in their careers. They died before they were able to disappoint. Both mentioned guitarists, had they lived, could have gone on to make poor musical chooses or bombs and possibly wouldn't be regarded as highly as they are. That's the beauty of kicking the bucket while you are still on a high note. It's kind of pointless to speculate "what could have been". Too many factors that you would have to consider.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I like to think of Hendrix as a singer/songwriter/guitarist. To me thats what made him special. He may not have had a great voice but he had an effective one, some of his songs (castles made of sand, Axis, Wind Cries Mary, Burning of the Midnight Oil are well crafted songs with a decent lyric). As a guitarist he was pretty special. He set the benchmark in the mid/late 60's. Yeah sure he has been superceded as a guitarist since but for a while when he raised the bar, everyone was chasing to keep up.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You have to consider the time Jimi was doing this. Yes, there a a million guitarists that play better today...but in the late sixties? Who else was there to consider...Clapton maybe? For his time, Jimi was it!

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, i have to say i agree w/ all the responses!! Jimi was probably the most inovative for his time. I just sometimes get irritated when i see guitarists get more famous cause they die. I mean what started these thoughts i had was a thread (i think in the guitar rack) titled "most underated guitarists". And the mags and media virtually ignore. While paying homage to ones that released 2 or 3 albumns..then died. I hate Cobain, but see how he changed alot of music. I agree w/ danny..many gtr players on this site smoke alot of the overated dudes. It's like..."a big thing specially w/ Hendrix-"coming soon A new previously unreleased tape of Jimi", While these bootlegs get all the promo from these mags of CDs that shouldn't see the light of day (Jimi I suspect didn't want them released) and i have a few that compared to the regular recordings sound like shite. While many other gr8 guitarists work their arse off releasing gr8 music and not get noticed, or maybe get a paragraph in a mag. That's why i love this site, hearing all this talent from ppl the world has not heard-but should. Sorry bout the ramballing. lol:jam:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have to agree. Eddie was my Hero.... Randy my "God", but the ones I hear everyday on 101.com inspire me more than anyone.
I can't just pm Eddie and say "Hey, whats that thing you did at 1:23?" and Randy is beyond everyones reach. I can't leave a post and ask for the "big boys" to share a track or an idea with me. I can do that with everyone here.
I'd much rather spend my time with people that are within reach and on the same level of reality than spend my time idolizing someone that doesn't even know I exist as a musician much less a human being.
VGB

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Something else to consider is that there is a demand for music from Hendrix, in fact possibly a much greater demand than for someone like Vai. An album isn't going to be released just to waste money. It is anticipated, and proven true, that musicians such as Hendrix or Page do generate a fairly large demand, and just because you are not one of those in the following, you can't buy enough albums to get some of the others you prefer up to the same status. :dunno: Just a thought...

·
Registered
165 Posts
stingx said:
Hendrix falls into the same catagory as Randy Rhodes and other extremely talented artists who died very young in their careers. They died before they were able to disappoint. Both mentioned guitarists, had they lived, could have gone on to make poor musical chooses or bombs and possibly wouldn't be regarded as highly as they are. That's the beauty of kicking the bucket while you are still on a high note. It's kind of pointless to speculate "what could have been". Too many factors that you would have to consider.
Exactly!! Hendrix was great and a God of guitar but not the only one. He opened up avenues for the next generation. Had he not died Im sure he would have gone into adult contempary music like Clapton. Had EVH died he would be just like Hendrix. Unfortunately he has grown old and doesnt have the same impact he once did.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
We all have our progression of favorite musicians that we grew up with and learned from. For me it was Hendrix, Page, Van Halen and finally Holdsworth. These guitars had a mysterious and unique life force that is intriguing and "out of the jungle" so to speak. -all this having nothing to do with technical achievement, which usually is grandiose, masturbatory, gaudy, sentimental, shallow and down right unoriginal. I've been listening to Hendrix's "Third Stone From The Sun" for thirty years and it still gives me chills. What I like are those moments of purity and stirring power that these guys seemingly pulled out of thin air.

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, Third stone does that 2 me also. My point though is the 4cds i love are 1-are you experienced 20 axis 3)electric ladyland and 4) band of gypsys. The others I don't know....i have some but just aren't nearly the quality. They could have a song w/ hendrix farting and it would get high praises. :mix:

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
technically hes disgracefully overrated as a guitarist .. but for his impact on the music scene AND the world in general . along with his great sense of melody and songwriting skills are what earned him his place and his recognition . there are literally millions of technically better players .. but the entire hendrix vibe is something nobody else has . and thats what people in general connect with .. especially non guitarists ... as guitarists ourselves hes not hugely impressive .. to the general non playing public .. he was and is the definitive guitar legend .. :) .

·
Banned
156 Posts
You're right. Because all that matter is the INDIVIDUAL and the MOMENT. Not how many fingers one taps with or how fast they can sweep pick.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Vaughan was really inspired by Hendrix's blues (or in my head hendrix himself), And you know what? as a person who would jump off a cliff to catch Jimi's socks in mid air then plummit to my own death, I would say SRV took it to the next level in Jimi's playing. And after SRV, poeple took what they heard from both and make it Even BETTER! (ok not alot of poeple, infact, er, not alot at all, but there ARE poeple who have :D, also would do the sock thing for SRV too!) I think that the ONLY and ONLY thing you CANT improve from a legend, is the emotion they put in to it. I will NEVER, even if I become reeaalllllyyy good (god I hope so) at playing guitar in general, I will NEVER have the same feeling as Clapton, SRV, Hendrix, Albert King, Muddy and so on (too many, meh!), had/have when they played/play. But the amount of emotion? maybe...

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
These oldtimers are legends because they made music that went up to the stratosphere...majestic stuff...nothing to do with technique or fast runs.
It is about being connected to that vibe that goes beyond.
Hah I sound like a goddamm philosopher teacher now:scratch:
Anyways they where originals and did their own thing mostly.
Hendrix/Gilmoure/Beck/EVH/ and so on...still gives me chills..
It is almost as good as Mozart:icon_thum

·
Registered
631 Posts
Time for an old fart opinion. I was around when Hendrix, Clapton, Page, and Beck werre the top guitarists in the world of rock. You just didn't see anyone making love to their guitar like Jimi, most now stand upright (from reading sheet music) and perform. I happened to like the entertainer in musician's, like EVH, Randy, amongest others. It sounds like your trying to compare apples to oranges, classical to rock. Every see Satch or Vai play behind their back or roll over the stage and not miss a lick? The whole feedback idea was Jimi's, he was just the Vai of yesterday that's all. No one could releate to where he was coming from (or planet). The same goes for anything from the past being compared to improvements of the future (cars, phones, transportation) no comparision. Just my opinion

P.S. I do believe I agree with the talent here, many that have an opportunity could do well.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
Rilecomm said:
Every see Satch or Vai play behind their back or roll over the stage and not miss a lick? .
satch no .. Vai yes . and jimi did miss a lick lol .. he missed a hell of alot . im not bashing . cause i think hes a fucking guitar legend .. but he fucking slopped up more times than i care to imagine :lol: . still great though for his ideals i think more than anything . you have to remember at the time most people were in the whole free world vibe thing and love n peace . they were also all stoned off their tits and wouldn't notice if jimi or anyone made a boo boo in their playing :lol: .. but yeah to answer the quote i took from you .. Vai has done and can do it .. thats why hes the Modern day hendrix ... but people these days have had commercial shite thrown at them so much that alot of them .. the general public .. wont accept vai as much as people accepted Hendrix ... sad but true ...

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
He was a GREAT inovater and I dare to say if he had lived on, he would have been doing unbelievable JAZZ. He didn't really get to do what he wanted.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.