Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope no-one minds my doing this. I thought it might be helpful to post the lyrics to my original compositions with a link to the actual song. Anyway this is the latest one I have written and it has been entered (by mickeyg107 - the git!) into the jan comp.

The song was pretty much a spur of the moment thing. I watched the Tsunami disaster on the news and it set off a beatles line "I read the news today oh boy" (A Day In The Life) in my head. Which annoyed me immensely because for the next few days I kept humming the song to myself everytime I saw the disaster on tv. It seemed almost distrespectful.

When I sat down to play I found a lovely guitar line and came up with a basic song structure (despite the beatles playing in my head) and decided to get it recorded. I worked really hard at the backing on this one and as a result the midi drums and bass are by far the best I have created to date. I love the bass solo at the end.

But this forum is about Lyrics and for once I fell short of my expectations. The song lyrics happened really quickly, but they were/are too direct for my liking. I felt they worked, given the context, but they didn't allow me to distance myself from the subject matter. Whilst I like to be objective I really don't like to let my emotions colour things that I have no direct involvement with and this is one of those matters.

The result is a song that could be, KC forgive me, A Rush lyric. Inasmuch that it is factual but based on human emotions. What I wanted was something less direct and defined. I am happy with the words in the way they sit in the tune but I don't like the way they make me feel attached to something I have no right to make commentary about. If that makes sense. :)

No points for spotting the Beatles line :)

Here is the tune http://www.guitars101.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11780

And here are the Lyrics

HERE TO SAVE
--------------

Can you give me a reason? Can you help me find
A simple explanation On life’s grand designs

I watched the news today – so sad
So many people died
I wanted to turn away – so bad
Instead I just sat and cried

There is no solution.
Yet we still move on
There can be no celebration.
With so many lost and gone

I watched the numbers rise again
All Life just washed away
They said disease is setting in
And left with hell to pay

Can you give me a reason? Can you help me find
A simple explanation On life’s grand designs

The devastation the loss of human life
The realisation that there’s nowhere we can hide
The world keeps spinning turning in its grave
So seize the moment and while the moment is there to save

·
Goddess of 101
606 Posts
very nice! Yes very direct, but very full of emotion right there Goport. I dug it! :)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you young lady, you are too kind.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you mike - much appreciated mate. :)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks wiz!! :thumb:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you Rythameen :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes

I've listened to your offerings and have come the conclusion that your very talented, indeed. Versatility is the name of the game. You seem to ooze it, imo.

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
Very deep and emotional indeed...this touched me very much so...Excellent Porty...;)

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Porty...you are a genius man!! Incredable talent you have. :bowdown:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here To Save

Gotta be honest with you because thats what I do.
You have some good thoughts to your lyrics but its too predictable on what you're going to say next. Not really cliques but predictable.I think most of us can be guilty of the same thing. I think that you should have put more thought in to it and be a bit more abstract

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey thanks everybody. Badams - you seem to be repeating what I said at the start of this thread. The whole song was written and recorded in a day and I thought the lyrics suffered as a result. So I agree with what you are saying. However - there is an honesty to them that I like and this is nothing like my normal work listen here

·
Registered
224 Posts
You're a good musician period. If you want to hear some harmonica on your Butcher song then let me know and I'll email to you what I've already done. Good song for playing along with. Now I've got to see what other kind of tasty morsels you've got laying around here. Hey nice arraingment man

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, no probs mate. ad thanks for the offer of playing harmonica. I sort of want to leave the songs I have recorded and work on new ones when I get the chance so I would love to have a bit colour from the harmonica - I just have to write something first. thanks again mate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts