Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..have been messing around with my floyd rose II system for a while, not being able to get the high E string to stay in tune. Yesterday i finally found out where the problem is. Got an advice earlier to check out the nut, since (i thought) i had checked everything else, but the nut was fine. It holds the strings well. What happens is that the string unwinds itself from the "ball" (if this is the right term) at the bridge end.. This happens gradually.
I know this sounds strange, but it has happened with three strings, so its not a bad string causing this.
The string goes slightely out of tune, i tune it up with the finetuner, it goes a tiny bit lame again, i tune it up, and after some bending and pulling of the arm it goes pow!, and the string slips off of the "ball", and the ball flies across the room !!

Never heard of this before, and am wondering if anybody have, and what the solution might be... ? Weird shit....
(sorry for the length of this....)

·
Registered
733 Posts
not bad advice. :D if hes having trouble with its operation why not try something else? there are other alternatives to keeping a trem bridge guitar in tune.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know, right now i feel like pounding the guitar down the throat of the fucker who tricked me into buying it..
But seriously, am i a total idiot, or can it be the string slipps of of the "ball" ? :jam:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Strings can unwind from the ball end. Especially on some the cheaper made strings. Heres a suggestion.... when you replace the strings . tin the wrapping in front of the ball end with solder. it will stop it from happening.
This isnt something that is guitar or the floyds fault. its simply a string issue.
Try a different brand of string. EB's or d'addarios. also contact the string manufacurer and let them know the problem. I've done so with success and usually end up with a few sets of strings to replace them.

VB

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VB, coming thru again... As i said, this has happened with three strings allready, and they were all ernie ball slinky's. The soldering-trick sounds brilliant. Was thinking about using a plier and winding the string extra tight round the ball, but i guess soldering it should do the job, and if it doesnt, it goes straight into the oven...
(cold in norway now.. :icon_peac )

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
For the string to unwind there some kind of excess pull or twisting motion. But I have had bad batches of strings personally and through the shop
Id email EB's customer support and let them know the probs. Im guessing you will have some strings coming in the mail soon
The solder trick is from an old bass player that used to have balls flying everywhere.
VB

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Save the solder and buy Ernie Ball RPS strings. RPS stands for Reinforced Plain Strings where the plain strings have an additional wrap specifically for the added protection. VB telling you to solder is how we had to do it back when I was a kid. YOU kids got it too easy nowadays. G'dam Whipersnappers! :irk: :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try the soldering, sounds like a trick...

Another thing VB;
Took a peak at your homepage just now, and i realized where all the vintage kramers have gone... You have'em all (you bastard), so i thought i'd ask for your opinion on the Striker 300st, crap or not, and if you have any info on it that i might find interesting... Do you have any overseas models in your collection?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try soldering first, just to confirm that this is where the trouble lays..
If it works, the EB rps is what i need.
Thanks guys, once again...
In a few minutes the nightshift is over and i'm headin home.
Warm up the iron.....!!! :icon_thum

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I do have a few overseas models in the collection but most of mine are early models 83-85 ST's I have one thats a very late 89 600 series in an odd Inca Silver paint.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
vintage_brat said:
I do have a few overseas models in the collection but most of mine are early models 83-85 ST's I have one thats a very late 89 600 series in an odd Inca Silver paint.
Keith, Didn't you have a post of all your axes? Can you post a link?

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Floyd II....get rid of it and get one with locking saddles instead.
They are terrible trems.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
well i wouldnt get one of those floyds that take ball ends....duh...it defeats the reason why Floyd Made History ....to cut that wrap of wire off and clamp down....but since you have it....stretch your string out...many players are afraid but new strings need to be pulled at least 2 to 3 inches off the neck about a foot from either end...tune up and repeat till it stays in tune

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.