Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!

Hobby Or Career

• I play for My Entire Income

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Make My Entire Income In Other Music Areas

• I Make Half or Less of my Income In Other Music Areas

• I MakeMorethanHalfOfMyIncome In Other Music Areas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HobbyOrCareerWithMusic?Poll!

Please take the time to answer this poll!!!!
It will take you 20 seconds!!!!
Its sad that over 100 have viewed and 10 did the poll!!!
I have alot of cool ideas for this site but its hard to
get into it when people don't participate!!!
Take the 20 seconds guys, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread about how music relates to your income.
Please fill out the poll but also give a little breakdown for others to read.

Questions:
Do you work in Music For Hobby Or Career?

If for Career,
1 How much of your Living do you make with Music Percentage wise?
2 How much of your income is just from playing guitar?
3 How much of your income is from other music related tasks if not soley
from guitar? like: (working in a music store, or doing live audio)
4 What are these other things that you do in music?

If for hobby,
5 What are your goals with Guitar
6 What are your goals with other areas of music (like song writing, recording,
entering competitions etc.)
7 Do you ever see yourself expanding into making a living with guitar or music?

Thats it!!!

I hope you all find this poll interesting and I apologize for the crammed together sentences in the poll but I thought that I only had so much space to fit my questions and their is no way to edit this. They probably do not allow edits in polls because someone could go back and change a question from something like "do you make your entire living from music" to something like "I admit that I stink at the guitar". hahahaha

Anyways I will find it interesting to see how many of us are in this for a living and how many for fun.
I bet that no matter how we all answer, in the end the love for guitar and or music is the biggest force!!!!

Golden Ears

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am going to answer my own questions:
1. 100% of my income with the exception of August05-Jan07 where I made some additional monies in marketing.

2. 50% of my income is from playing guitar
3. 50% of my income is from other things in music.
4. The other 50% in order comes from: Producing, Writing, Engineering, Mixing, Mastering, Guitar Session Work, Consulting for audio for both studio and live, buying and selling audio gear, Repairing audio gear and guitars, repairing or building computers for recording, builds and installs for studio and live, Live Sound, Writing for film and Teaching Guitar

5. I also do this for the love of it, so here are some of my fun goals with guitar:
To record versions of famous guitar solo stuff just for the hell of it, trying to in some cases copy the stuff to a T and in other cases to come up with my own hopefully innovative ways of playing these already famous pieces.
And if I am trying to do a piece as identical as I can, I will also be trying to copy the production.
Mastering the Classical guitar
Learning more about Jazz and becoming as comfortable with it as I am with Rock or Blues.
Doing more amp and guitar mods, I too am a "Tone Chaser"

Golden Ears

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This will be an interesting thread, but none of the above for me. Money, hobby!?!? You must be joking! I play guitar because I'm a nostalgic fool! Do people actually pay money for all this tired noodling and twang these days? My goals are to not let the guitar ruin my life more than it already has.:lol:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Guitar is absolutely just a hobby for me. I'm not looking to make a living or change my career to music at this point in my life. My focus is on learning blues guitar. My goal is simply to be able to play some blues with other old guys someday when I get more free time. If I "get in with the right bunch of fellas" maybe we'll play some local bars or something for fun. But for right now, I practice as much as I can and that's it.

Great thread GoldenEars. I envy and enjoy hearing about your place in music.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
strat78 said:
This will be an interesting thread, but none of the above for me. Money, hobby!?!? You must be joking! I play guitar because I'm a nostalgic fool! Do people actually pay money for all this tired noodling and twang these days? My goals are to not let the guitar ruin my life more than it already has.:lol:
I'm sorry to hear that you are so down on playing for a living, to me if you can do what you love and get paid well for it, life is as good as it gets.

In the case of myself, I love music more than girls and I loveeeeeeeeee girls lol. And playing = more girls and more girls = more playing because girls bring in the guys who spend the cash. haha
Well that applies to the live end of things.

There is tons of money to be made with music if you work at it and you have the nack.
But you have to be willing for part of the time to work on or play music that you don't like unless you are either very very successful or very very lucky hehe.
I have been somewhat successful and I guess very lucky, its hard to say when looking from the inside out, its easier for others who know me to judge how much is luck and how much is sucess but I did make more money than any of my friends last year from music alone.
I say music alone because I also worked part time in marketing for a little over a year up until Jan07 but when I said that I made more than any of my friends, I was referring to just the income that came from music.
I am in my thirties and I have never had a real job ever, just did the music thing and for a very brief time did the work from home thing (last year part time to make extra cash to buy my Manely Massive Passive and a whole slew of other cool stuff).
If I would have been more patient about wanting a brand new Chrysler 300m and all this audio stuff I would not have had to take a job.
But I took it and got my extra stuff and quit!!!!!!!!

I don't know, I must be born with a horse shoe up my butt or people must get into my thing or something because I do not have a website with anything besides my phone number on it lol and I have never advertized for anything as of yet.
In about a year when my latest record is finished, my managment will be advertizing ......well I hope they will lol.
And the way records go it could be longer, its painful waiting but everything in good time they say.

You seem like a good player so its sad to hear you say "tired noodling", it may be to you but its not to me man, there is always knew stuff popping into my head daily and it just keeps flowing like fine wine.

You can play man, so why not get reinvigerated and get out there and make it happen, make some cash and have some fun!!!

Personally I am addicted and if I ever can't play anymore because of old age or something or if I get to old to hear (like when I am 80) and it effects my producing or engineering etc. I will become a road manager or a roadie or something haha

I love it and I just have to be around it

Golden Ears

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stratomatic said:
Guitar is absolutely just a hobby for me. I'm not looking to make a living or change my career to music at this point in my life. My focus is on learning blues guitar. My goal is simply to be able to play some blues with other old guys someday when I get more free time. If I "get in with the right bunch of fellas" maybe we'll play some local bars or something for fun. But for right now, I practice as much as I can and that's it.

Great thread GoldenEars. I envy and enjoy hearing about your place in music.
Thanks Stratomatic, and I too, when I am old (and I know your age you are not old silly) haha ...will be in some little non smokey (that sucks no smoke) club playing the blues. (Blues Clubs without smoke its just not right :wutblau: :wutblau: )

Golden Ears

·
Registered
187 Posts
Excellent threed buddy:thumb:

I dont make any money as of yet im hoping to some how somday ive taught guitar lessons before for a wile but its hard to find dedicated students so I get tired of doing that because I feall somtimes like im wasting my time when I could spend it more productive in other areas of music.

My fist goal in music is to become a self reliiant composer my dream would be to wright songs are scores that would literaly blow the mind of the listener and leave theem beging for more.Hahah:)

So I would have to say music is my life and its more than just a hobby for me even though im not making money at the molment all I need is just that one CD if I can wright 10 15 quality songs and hit a studio I know I could make some money.

As well as the fun factor playing my favorite artist tunes and studing their work to better my own.:thumb:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy Thunder said:
Excellent threed buddy:thumb:

I dont make any money as of yet im hoping to some how somday ive taught guitar lessons before for a wile but its hard to find dedicated students so I get tired of doing that because I feall somtimes like im wasting my time when I could spend it more productive in other areas of music.

My fist goal in music is to become a self reliiant composer my dream would be to wright songs are scores that would literaly blow the mind of the listener and leave theem beging for more.Hahah:)

So I would have to say music is my life and its more than just a hobby for me even though im not making money at the molment all I need is just that one CD if I can wright 10 15 quality songs and hit a studio I know I could make some money.

As well as the fun factor playing my favorite artist tunes and studing their work to better my own.:thumb:
Great attitude dude!!!!
Im with ya man and you can do it, just stick with it and don't stop and a living in music will be yours for the taking.

But its not going to be all glamm, it will have to consist of everything from sticking with teaching until you find students who stick, (its all about the volume, if you have 30 students this week, in 3 months u might have 3 real students) to working in a music store, to landing that gig doing music for a documentary and you may have to do some for free to get a rep first.

Just keep everything that you do for cash associated with music and over time you will expand into the things you really want to do from studio and writing to live preforming.

This all takes time, alot of time and alot of sacrifise but it can be done without question.
You will have to watch your friends make better money than you and have a more stable life and a better car but if this is what you want and you put the 5 to 15 years in that it takes (assuming that you have talent and that you already are a good player who has some experience) you will get there.

It has to be your dream and you have to not fear doing any type of work that is associated with music usually for low wages and avoid settling for some job that has notta to do with music, just to tide you over. It never works that way, a tide you over job will tide you over till your 60 lol.

Then there is always the other possibility and that is the lottery ticket senario where you get discovered very quickly with very little effort.
That can happen but the odds are that of a lottery ticket, so plan on the long haul and be willing to do what ever it takes and you will get to where you want to be
This is a very tiny piece of the playing population because most people have other priorities and understandably so. We are among the few my friend, but I know that I'm happy and if this is what you really want you can be as well.

Good luck dude! Golden Ears

·
Registered
139 Posts
for me, its a hobby...so lets answer some questions, shall we?

5 What are your goals with Guitar

my goals? i dont really think i have any paticular goals. perhaps a dream, to become either well known, or join a band that is well known, and have insanly fast guitar solos that may, or may not be too technical. but yeah, covering mozart would be really sweet.

6 What are your goals with other areas of music?

i am aready a writer. been writing for more than a decade, and it keeps evolving. i used to write poems, and now i'm writing epic plays with some myth involved with it. and shoving that with gutiar would be sweet

7 Do you ever see yourself expanding into making a living with guitar or music?

humm...yeah, i can see that happening. i mean, being a luthier and making custom guitars wont be that bad an idea. considering that if you do get a custom gutiar from Jackson, ESP or others, you are looking to pay em soemthing around 2000-4000 or more. for a guitar, a piece of wood and metal. but since its too expensive, and its not like everyday you see someone saying 'i want a custom gutiar', id reduce my price to around 700+. depending on the construction, but my cap would be around 1500. think about it, a custom guitar that is specifically made for you, and thus not mass-produced, for 700-1500 bucks, thats a sweet deal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soliloquy said:
for me, its a hobby...so lets answer some questions, shall we?

Hey dude, if you end up making guitars for a living and it can be done, you are working as a professional in the music industry which can lead to many other things.

My luthier works out of a little shop in a near by country area and he is swamped with work.
He builds guitars, violins, chellos and every thing from didil I Joe If I don't know.
He use to do set ups, fret jobs, Floyd installs etc but he is so highly in demand for his custom builds that not only does he not do the repairs and the guitar mods anymore (Except for a handful of guys like me, long term customers who are serious) he is 4 or 5 years behind in a good way.

If you want a guitar from him you have to pay him up front in full and then wait literally years for your instrument.
I am currently waiting for an Gibson ES75 style guitar that he is building for me and it will be 2 more years before I get it.
It is worth the wait he is that good!!!!

So if you become that good you will be overwhelmed with work and be able to pick and choose what it is that want to do. There is a large demand for good luthiers.
Think about your guitars and how few people if any you would trust them with, I have seen many a player cry the blues when their instruments are perminently ruined by some green want to be luthier.

So go for it and branch out from there!!!:) :)

Golden Ears

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd have to say hobby...for now. I love guitar, and I love music. I think that playing music is one of the greatest things I've done for myself. I hope someday to make music a small part of my income just playing gigs regularly. But hobby for now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
GoldenEars said:
Hey dude, if you end up making guitars for a living and it can be done, you are working as a professional in the music industry which can lead to many other things.

My luthier works out of a little shop in a near by country area and he is swamped with work.
He builds guitars, violins, chellos and every thing from didil I Joe If I don't know.
He use to do set ups, fret jobs, Floyd installs etc but he is so highly in demand for his custom builds that not only does he not do the repairs and the guitar mods anymore (Except for a handful of guys like me, long term customers who are serious) he is 4 or 5 years behind in a good way.

If you want a guitar from him you have to pay him up front in full and then wait literally years for your instrument.
I am currently waiting for an Gibson ES75 style guitar that he is building for me and it will be 2 more years before I get it.
It is worth the wait he is that good!!!!

So if you become that good you will be overwhelmed with work and be able to pick and choose what it is that want to do. There is a large demand for good luthiers.
Think about your guitars and how few people if any you would trust them with, I have seen many a player cry the blues when their instruments are perminently ruined by some green want to be luthier.

So go for it and branch out from there!!!:) :)

Golden Ears
haha, that sound so cool, and fun. but yeah, i was thinking of different kinds of guitars that appeal to different genres, and i noticed that metal guitars tend to have more sharp edges, rock guitars seem to have more rounded edges, and blues and folk can have different stuff. in my sketch books, i mainly draw alternative versions of Randy Rhoads, super strats and V's. so that got me thinking, why not a colaboration between a luthier who specializes in rock guitars, and me, who would perhaps specialize in metal guitar.

and i talked to a few luthiers around my area about a guitar made out of metal. they shot the idea down coz metal is a conductor, but i'm pretty sure there can be a way around it. put all the electronics on some sort of plastic, or wood or rubber of some sort...or just metaliz the guitar like Vai, and Satriani.

ideas fill my head, just need to get into a luthier class, and start experimenting with myself first...

but thanks dude! :biggthump

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Hope that More Participate

Man this is such a short poll and I think it would be very interesting to find out more about our members, it kinda helps to know why we are all into, in order to come up with interesting threads to help everyone etc.

So take the 20 seconds to atleast do the Poll you don't have to answer the questions for us to get our results.

Thanks guys, Golden Ears

·
Registered
163 Posts
I play for hobby right now but i am currently looking for a band. I plan on making it part of my income while im in highschool and maybe if i get good enough become a professional muscian. But i am really interested in being a luthier, at least part time or for hobby. Do they make pretty good money?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Miracle_man said:
I play for hobby right now but i am currently looking for a band. I plan on making it part of my income while im in highschool and maybe if i get good enough become a professional muscian. But i am really interested in being a luthier, at least part time or for hobby. Do they make pretty good money?
They do pretty well if they have a business sense and do extremely well if they are in demand.
Your average hobby guitarist is not going to spend a fortune on their guitar maintenance because they can't justify it, plus they like working on their own guitars in many cases but if you can grab a chunk of the pro market you can make some serious cash.
I have spent probably 7k on just one of my strats alone over the years and that was for set ups, fret jobs, pickup swaps, a wonder bar installed (type of wammi tremolo), repair and converted to accept a floyd rose, floyd taken out put back to stock, another floyd put back in, frets changed to different styles as my playing changed, body put back together after I smashed it onstage, new pick guards made, scalloped in the end etc etc etc.

And I own six American strats which have all been serviced by myself and my luthier.

It totally depends on what a guitarist is doing, when I was touring all the time and playing major shows, I did not have time to dink around myself and was making decent cash so I just dropped my guitars off and said could you please to X Y or Z.

Currently he is building a guitar for me, I am getting a lefty Gibson ES75 style guitar made as well as a classical.
These types of jobs are anywhere from 5-15k.

When I start tracking my next record all of my strats will have been to visit my luthier and brought back to my specs and also some of them will be moded etc.

But to get high paying clients bringing you their guitars for repairs or scratch builds requires a great rep.
I would not leave my guitars in the hands of a beginner and in my area which is quite large there are only two respected luthiers one of which I would not let change my strings lol.

So you will have to start out changing strings and doing set ups etc. and it would help if you trained under a vetrin or went to a highly respected school.

The most respected school is in England I think and if you did that and built up a rep, over time you could get the high end work but you will have to do those pesky $35 Set ups for quite some time.

Another great in, is to build great guitars that people can try out, that is a good way to gain peoples trust and trust is a must!!!!

Golden Ears

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
GoldenEars said:
So take the 20 seconds to atleast do the Poll you don't have to answer the questions for us to get our results.
You think this pol is lacking in participants, just look at the sorry state of G101's Mp3 of the month pol turnout! Now that is sad.:crap:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
strat78 said:
You think this pol is lacking in participants, just look at the sorry state of G101's Mp3 of the month pol turnout! Now that is sad.:crap:
OMG!!! Only six people voted for the MP3 of the month and hundreds listened, I don't understand people sometimes, this is like our virtual hangout why not get involved.
Well thats life, full of strange mysteries or perhaps sheer laziness

Golden Ears

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm posting to bump this back up because way more people are doing the poll then posting on this thread and unfortunately just doing the poll does not keep it high on the page.
I think this poll is pretty cool so I would like to keep it going for a week or so and try to get atleast 50 of our thousands of members to do the poll.

Thanks guys! Golden Ears

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Hobby town

Only a hobby and will probably always be one. I would not even be ready for any kind of band till I hit 40 probably and then it would just be for the love of playing and a little side cash.

I have been trying to learn how to write instrumental songs and doing that but that is also just for my pleasure (and hopefully others)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts