Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven't done anything for a long while now but this one was a labour of love. 2004 was a bad year as a 'species'. Videoed beheadings, War, Famine, the tsunami that's killed a huge number of people...if there is a Big Guy upstairs, he had his head turned away when all this happened. At the same time it was also the year that my girl Ellie was born, so as a father you have to have hope.

This was recorded last night after way to many Brandy and Bailey's, in the dark at about 1.00am. The backing has been lurking around for ages waiting to be used. It's (as usual) not perfect but it is honest. Here's to a better 2005. This one is called 'Hope'.

:smirk:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I think this is probably the best thing I have heard from you mate. It is messy in places (by your standards, not mine haha :bowdown: ) but it has a really flowing feel to it. In fact you said it better - it sounds honest!!

The melody is great and your alcoholic excesses seem to have let you take a lot of chances that you don't normally seem to take - there are so many things in this piece that I have never heard you play - the legato tapping thing is something I haven't heard from you before and the volume swells are really enjoyable.

I like the theme, but the best thing is the mood of the track make it sound grevious but still hanging on to hope.

Excellent job mate. A keeper for sure :)

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Porty...to be honest, I took less chances than usual but couldn't get it more fluid (due to the hooch!) so the tapping was what I usually do at some point-maybe you ain't noticed it before. Thanks for listening.

:icon_thum

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Great to hear your playing again!! Sounds top notch!! Excellent mate!!

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Gr8 song, Chris!!!:bowdown: At our age it's pretty easy to see that the state of the world has been spiralling downhill for a number of years now!!!:ball: And, the "hope" that things will get better is all we have to cling to.Every passing year makes it harder to keep that hope alive. Your piece has really captured that feeling of hope!!!!:icon_thum Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 3f and SG...yeah, too true SG. I can't really record anything original unless I feel I have something to say. Thats why I've been so quiet lately. Thanks for listening and leaving a comment guys. :icon_peac

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
WahWah I enjoyed listing to this. I really like the "whale-like" tones. I know you call this Hope but the whole mood, to me, is very sombre. Very expressive and dynamic playing from start to finish...especially towards the end. Ah but what the hell do I know, I am biased as you are one of my favorite guitarists on the forum.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, thanks Sting...suppose 'sombre' is a great way to describe something that tries to convey some sort of emotion besides 'listen to this lick'!!! :D I don't think I'll ever be a shredder cos I'm too old to spend the hours to get as good as some of the guys here like Yaka and to be honest, I don't think I could do it with all that practise anyway! I'm Old Skool and Uncool!

Thanks for the comments...they are much appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Loved the tone I don't know that I got a HOPE feel from the song more of a LONGING feeling if you know what I mean. Still obviously along the same lines but you know what I mean. The runs were great WahWah....GREAT......

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mike...I think they're all similar emotions. It's just nice to get comments that say that there's something in there. Thanks for listening and the comments.

While I'm at it, just had the news that Mondola and his wife are expecting their first child and he's told me I can let the cat out of the bag so I'm dedicating this to them both... Good luck to you both! Made my day mate, made my day!

:dance:

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Wow mate ! There's definitely an amazing feel from this one ! A sad feeling, but like you say, a hope that a phoenix will rise up from the ashes.

2004 has been a bastard of a year both personally, as well as for the whole world, so I was not sad to see the back of it, and it was with a sense of hope (that word again) that I looked forward to the year 2005 as I watched the fireworks on the television.

But, on top of all of this, we are expecting our first child, with all the complications that go along with that. I have an appointment at the end of the month to determine the likelihood of the litte sprog having my hearing problems. But, whatever the outcome on that front, we're both really, really looking forward to the birth, as we feel that within the family, it is a bit of good news that we all needed.

I told the wife that you'd dedicated this song to her, and she cries at the best of times. She's in floods of tears, but has yet to listen to it.

Anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent there. This is you at your typical best man. It certainly is honest. The way you can express that emotion through the instrumanet is amazing man ! I really enjoyed this track immensley, and thanx again for the dedication.

Fuck, now ya got me crying too...

*sniff*

·
I'm a Very Good Girl !
1,350 Posts
Wonderful thought evoking piece Chris.

Last year did hold a lot of crap, as you said globally, and for some of us personally too. I hit the big one a few weeks back and since have been very thoughtful. Fingers crossed this year is better.

Lets just 'Hope' we all have a good one, and things work out for us.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Mondy and Missy...lets have a group hug! :ball: :ball: :ball:
Seriously tho', maybe this latest disaster will bring the world together a bit more. I never thought I'd see a time when terrorists would seige a school and kill children but this is edge of the world stuff. My wife bought me a book for Xmas...the Prophecies of Nostradamus 1990-2001...it's scary stuff and scarily accurate! Some of the time stuff doesn't come close but some of it is to the hour of a certain day...and this guy made these in the 1500's!

Anyway...BABY TIME MONDY so hope is what we'll have.

:thumb:

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
:drunk::bowdown:Wow man awesome take.
Yeah that track is marvelous, I belive that it is Van Sykes from HC that did that one??
Gods I think I need to get that one!
Thanks man.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rid said:
:drunk::bowdown:Wow man awesome take.
Yeah that track is marvelous, I belive that it is Van Sykes from HC that did that one??
Gods I think I need to get that one!
Thanks man.
If you want the backing track, I'll post it up Rid? I think it's called 'Killer Smooth'. Just say and I'll put it up in backing tracks...thanks for the comments. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts