Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm never one to pimp a band (lying my ass off!) so I wont start here

Actually I wanna talk about my favorite Van Halen tribute group Hot For Teacher, and it's guitarist and my good friend Terry Lauderdale. I recently recieved a copy of them live at Slims and I must say it's one of the best performances I've seen in awhile. Who would have thought that the first time I ever heard the song Dirty Movies live would have been thru a tribute band, and not the actual band Van Halen.

Of course you can't have a VH tribute band without having a kick ass axe slinger and that's where Terry comes in. But I'd be lying if I said that he's the lone star of the group. If these guys were a team then everyone of them would be an all star player, because that's how much skill each of them bring to the table. Led by, Randy Monroe on lead vocals, this band kicks more ass then great hockey enforcer, Bob Probert. Randy brings to the table the signature high screams of the great DLR, not to mention the swagger and attitude to go with it. A school teacher as well the man always takes time to promote public education, and he needs to be lauded for his efforts. Terry in my opinion is one of the best guitarists in the world. Now he may not like me sayin that, but it's just the way it is in my book. The guy plays with more passion and fire then any guitarist in any of these nu-metal bands today. His style would have to be a mix of, EVH, Randy Rhoades, Satriani, Vai, and Malmsteen. A good guitarist is nothing without a bad assed rhythm section and that's where, Jimmi Ward and Larry Howe come in. Jimmi and Larry's goal in life is one thing. To rock your fucking socks off! Watch out James Lomenzo and Ray Luzier, cause these guys can bring it with the best of em.

The performance at Slims was a delight to watch as I watched them go thru VH classics like: Runnin With The Devil, Jump, Eruption, You Really Got Me, Dirty Movies, Panama, and many more. To quote David Lee Roth, "The hits just keep on coming!" These guys churn out song after song of blistering hot Van Halen, and leave you dyin for more.

Another jaw dropping performance had Van Halen's legendary bassist, Michael Anthony join HFT on stage at the Hard Rock Cafe in San Fran. Mike got up there with the boys and rocked out too: Panama, Women In Love, Mean Street, I'm The One, Outta Love Again, Dance The Night Away, Unchained, and Aint Talkin Bout Love. The hightlight of the performance came right after Women In Love. Mikey came to the mic and said gleefully, "Man, I haven't performed that one in 20 fuckin years!" That led to a hand of appluase from the crowd, and then the head banging continued soon after. Watching Mikey on stage during VH's hiatus was truly a pleasure for me. He looks like he was having the time of his life on stage, and obviously misses playing alot of the old Dave stuff. It looked like Mikey was truly taken back by the moment he had up there, and the crowd soaked up every second of it.

If you wanna check these guys out, go over to www.hftrocks.com and check out the Multimedia section. BELIEVE ME, you wont be disappointed

· Crazy Admin
4,023 Posts
Sweet post !

i've never seen hot for teacher living where i do , but the audio boot i've heard simply blew me away ! i wish i could hear dirty movies cause it's one of my favourites !

terry as was said is a jaw dropping guitar player ... he never ceases to blow me away with his feel and passion that's for sure ! ..

the whole band blends so well and their version of unchained is fricken AWESOME ! ...

i love how they play the fan classics too like outta love again adn hear about it later .. fantastic stuff

you guys rock !

· Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll say it like this. Dave, call Terry. Nothing against Brian Young because I really dig him, but Terry fuckin shreds all over Brian which is sayin alot. And more importantly he's got the sound man. That Marshall superlead of his is amazing, but then again it's all in the fingers. How he pulled the slide part off in Dirty Movies the way he did I'll never know. It sounded just like the record man. HFT rocks!

· Registered
3,507 Posts
i just wanna add that in the short time i have gotten to know terry beyond his great guitar playing skills he is also one of the most down to earth guys you can meet.. no ego he just loves doing what he loves to do.. terry you totally rock man and i am glad i have gotten the chance to talk to you a few times on here.. and as for the band hot for teacher, i too have never gotten to see them live from where i am, but i have heard there stuff and it is kick ass

· Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, me and Ter have been buds for awhile now, and I second that bro. He's one of the coolest cats around, and has great taste in female latina actresses

· Registered
614 Posts
Thanks fellas and thank you Chris!

Wow, I'm humbled by your post. Thanks for listening and I'm glad you liked what you saw.

Terry

· Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're more then welcome Terry. Now get your asses out here to Philly and rock our socks off!!
You do that, and I just might think about buyin you a beer

· Registered
614 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
You're more then welcome Terry. Now get your asses out here to Philly and rock our socks off!!
You do that, and I just might think about buyin you a beer

[/ QUOTE ]

You betcha Sucka!

Look in to a venue that will $upport our trip over there and we'll be there faster than you can say "Gimme a Philly Cheesesteak on a Hot Hoagie Roll!"

Our web guy is from Philly so I'm sure between the two of youse guys we can pack 'em in!

Terry

· Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You bet yoooo asss! I know of a few spots off of the top of my head. I dont really spend much time in bars and clubs anymore, so I'll have to go lookin around and see if I see any good spots for you. I do know that Philly loves VH, and the market is just wide open for a kick ass tribute band.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Wow!!!! I just heard HFT live at the Edge CD and man, the band is TIGHT!!!!!! Terry is one bad ass guitarist. If you live in the bay area CHECK THEM OUT.
DOA, You really got me, Everybody wants some (kick ass intro Terry) Pretty women and Unchained, are amazing and "IMO" I think they played them better than Van Halen. Thats just IMO

· Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL Its funny that you said that Fury cause I was just tellin my buddies that. I heard Eddie say once that there are guitarists out there that can play Eruption better then he can. Well Ed, one of em is named Terry Lauderdale and he's one bad mofo

· Registered
4,025 Posts
I have downloaded some clips from the website...which kicks ass...but how do I get a boot of that Dirty Movies? I really want to hear it...is it done with a single guitar?

· Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
VHfanOU812 said:
I have downloaded some clips from the website...which kicks ass...but how do I get a boot of that Dirty Movies? I really want to hear it...is it done with a single guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea Terry does it with a single guitar. And I mean does it all. Does the fuckin around on the strings part that Ed does during the beginning, and he even plays the slide part. Didn't seem like he had a slide though so he was just playing the passages without one. Still sounded rad. The bass solo was on point, followed by my favorite part of the song..."Take It OFF!!!" The girls on the side of the stage didn't oblige though

You'd have to ask Terry to see if he can grab ya a copy of Dirty Movies. I'm still tryin to persude him to get Drop Dead Legs in the set

· Registered
5,367 Posts
I was just watching some of the Slims gig last night (thanks Terry
)and my only though was OMG this is so fckin awesome!!! HFT was playing all the hits and sounding so amazing doing them, I also listened to some of Terry's cd and it was just amazing, awesome playing, Terry you are bad ass dude, just amazing tone and feel! Terry you kick ass and HFT fckin rocks!!!

· Registered
614 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
VHfanOU812 said:
Dirty Movies? I really want to hear it...is it done with a single guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow , thank you guys!

Glad you like the stuff.

What I do on the intro is a combination of bends and pull offs.

Terry

· Registered
3,507 Posts
i have to agree, i am not a big VH fan although eddie is an awsome guitarist.. terry was simply amazing on these cd's and video.. his style and his tone is unreal..as i said up above terry has it all and above all he has respect and is down to earth.. thx terry and keep on rockin

· Registered
278 Posts
Hey Sucka-
My uncle was a tech for VH in the early/mid-80s (and Yngwie, and Randy to name a few) but he said that hands down the coolest guy ever was Michael Anthony-in fact he said that when Eddie and Dave were really at each others throats on the Diver Down tour, Mike used to ride on the roadies bus and actually preferred to party and drink JD and other assorted alcohols with them and he never had "star" attitude-he always told Gerry that he "was just one of the guys"....My uncle also said that it was kinda sad too that Mike had about five times the voice that DLR did.....(but for the record my uncle said that Vince Neil was by far the worst singer he ever saw in the studio....horrible volume). Also said that Randy Rhoads was the nicest and most humble guy ever, real quiet, sweet guy. Tragedy what happened...really think that he was gonna find a completely different niche than what we heard with all the other neo-classical guys....Diary was one of the best all-time guitar albums and the guy was just scratching the surface of what he could do.....

· Registered
278 Posts
Ok, Im new to the forum and a little computer impaired, where can I get the audio for the HFT or better yet, is there a CD I can buy and support the band some? This many people cant be wrong and "Dirty Movies" was one of VH's darkest and best songs.....what really stood out is that it was a VH original that was devoid of a "traditional-type" Eddie solo....(D-Down doesnt really count in my mind as a VH album...) and it wasnt really until FUCK that Eddie started doing more melody/simple solos (although "Dreams" comes close-very quick tap-ons and quick run before the chorus comes back in)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.