Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used a floating floyd before. Only the non-floating ones.

So my question is this:

I've heard that if you break a string on a floating floyd, the whole thing goes out of tune.

Second, I've heard that when you bend strings the other ones go sharp?

So, if the thing does go out of tune when you break a string, how do you fix it?

And also, if it's true about the strings sharping, what can you do about that?

Thanks in advance!

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
EJ would prolly be able to give you alot more info about this ,

but both things are true ... the string bending other notes going sharp thing isn't really a huge problem and i've heard (from EJ) that if you set it up well you can minimise the effect ...

The string breaking thing i can't see anyway around .. i've broken strings before in a gig and there is no way i could even play another note it would totally go out of tune to the point of being unplayable ... the thing i do now is just make sure i replace my strings before they look like they're going to break ...

They are awesome bridges though they are the only 2 real downfalls of them in my opinion the tuning is fantastic , and i can always rely on it

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stiglar said:
EJ would prolly be able to give you alot more info about this ,

but both things are true ... the string bending other notes going sharp thing isn't really a huge problem and i've heard (from EJ) that if you set it up well you can minimise the effect ...

The string breaking thing i can't see anyway around .. i've broken strings before in a gig and there is no way i could even play another note it would totally go out of tune to the point of being unplayable ... the thing i do now is just make sure i replace my strings before they look like they're going to break ...

They are awesome bridges though they are the only 2 real downfalls of them in my opinion the tuning is fantastic , and i can always rely on it
Well what happens after you break a string and the whole thing goes out of tune? You replace the string, and then you have to retune the whole guitar?

edit:

Also, is there any way to make a floating floyd rose into a non floating one?

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
As for the string breaking on a floater and the whole thing goes out of tune, you need to read your strings for when they need to be changed to avoid breaking, and if you are consistenly breaking stirngs due to your playing, change gauges. I know, easier said than done. Of course once in a while it happens and a string breaks for whatever reason, but if you are breaking fairly frequently, then you need to understand why. I'll probably jynx myself for saying this, but I have only broken one string in 10 years, and that was becuase the bass player in a band I was in was superstitious about me changing when I felt the strings were ready... Live and learn :spank:

As for bending, you really need to get the right tension between the strings and the springs to avoid it going out of tune when bending strings. I personally do a ton of bends, and there really is no secret to staying in tune other than you really need the proper balance between strings and springs.

New strings need to stretch, and that is where a lot of players come up short with floaters. It takes time and patience to stretch the strings properly so your playing won't adversly affect their behavior.

Finally, if you really don't anticipate using the Floyd to significantly raise the pitch of your notes, don't bother. It is surely worth it for those who use it, but if don't use it as intended (to go up), the whole thing gets to be a little pain in the arse.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
cyberpixel said:
Well what happens after you break a string and the whole thing goes out of tune? You replace the string, and then you have to retune the whole guitar?

edit:

Also, is there any way to make a floating floyd rose into a non floating one?
You can put a new string on and retune the rest if in a bind, but the tension of the other strings is already much different than the new one so you will have headaches anyway... Which is the lesser of two evils? :evil:

You can block a floating trem to keep it from going back, or even buy a tremsetter from www.stewmac.com. That way it only goes down with minimal modding to your guitar that isn't permanent.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
El_jalepeno said:
You can put a new string on and retune the rest if in a bind, but the tension of the other strings is already much different than the new one so you will have headaches anyway... Which is the lesser of two evils? :evil:

You can block a floating trem to keep it from going back, or even buy a tremsetter from www.stewmac.com. That way it only goes down with minimal modding to your guitar that isn't permanent.
Hmm... well, I've also heard that you're supposed to change strings on a floating trem one at a time?

See, I have guitars with floyds on them, but they are all non-floating.

I don't break strings very often at all, and I was just askign so that I know everything about them.

The thing with the strings sharpign when you bend... I know the whole thign about stretching the strings. It goes the same for my non floating floyds.

Also, if you block the floyd, how does that keep it from not going out of tune? I know EVH used a quarter to do this, but what exactly does that do?

Also, if you were to take all of the strings off of the guitar, what would happen to the floating trem?

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
cyberpixel said:
Hmm... well, I've also heard that you're supposed to change strings on a floating trem one at a time?

See, I have guitars with floyds on them, but they are all non-floating.

I don't break strings very often at all, and I was just askign so that I know everything about them.

The thing with the strings sharpign when you bend... I know the whole thign about stretching the strings. It goes the same for my non floating floyds.

Also, if you block the floyd, how does that keep it from not going out of tune? I know EVH used a quarter to do this, but what exactly does that do?

Also, if you were to take all of the strings off of the guitar, what would happen to the floating trem?
Yes, change the strings one at a time to try to keep things in perspective on your guitar work. Sure the strings need to be stretched, but as you put each string on, the previous ones are already starting to stretch.

As for the blocking, remember that strings are pulling on the bridge across the top, and the springs on the back are an opposing force pulling the bridge the other way. When you block the bridge, the strings are no longer pulling the bridge in a way to give an opposing force to the springs, only the springs are an actual factor becuase as the tension on the bridge from the strings is decreased with a string breaking, the force of the springs pulling the bridge is the same becuase now the bridge is resting against the block. Take off all the strings and the bridge still stays against the block, so apply this to breaking a string and you will surmise that the reduction in top tension (strings) does not affect the bottom tension (springs) :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts