Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Yeah, so what?
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday a good friend of mine came over and we had a blast with our guitars, he´s in to really old rennaicense-barroque-classical guitar, and after playing our electric guitars, we stuck out our classicals, messing with some irish reels and the kind, and he started to play this thing, it´s called "Pavana" and it was composed for a vihuela (some kind of ancestor to guitar, like the lute)by a spanish player-composer from 1534, called Luis de Milan, it sounded soo awesome I just had to record it. Just look how two voices go seperately on it, and how they beautifully merge, now thats no overdubs, just straight playing!
This stuff is just simply amazing, how difficult it is to reach such a level of polyphony on a stringed instrument, I wish I had the guts for playing this.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The recording sounds killer man!! The song is not a hard one for classical guitarists but it is indeed beautifull. How did you record this track?

·
Yeah, so what?
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Would yo believe I just stuck a cheap pc mic inside the guitar? after that I doubled the track on Audacity, and on one of them added just a slight eco, barely noticeable, since I couldn´t sort out the Gverb it has. As for the difficulty of it, yeah, that´s one of the first things he learned on just a six month fast course he made a long time ago, and it really doesn´t seem hard to do, but man it sounds soo awesome! Next time he´s back at home I´m gonna record some John Dowland stuff he plays, absolutely amazing.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
This was outstanding!! Beautifully done!

·
Registered
574 Posts
This was so beautifullly done! And I liked the "yo" at the end.. hahaha

·
Registered
529 Posts
¨
'
Wonderful piece!
Beautifully executed!

:icon_thum

BleedingPinky said:
Yesterday a good friend of mine came over and we had a blast with our guitars, he´s in to really old rennaicense-barroque-classical guitar, and after playing our electric guitars, we stuck out our classicals, messing with some irish reels and the kind, and he started to play this thing, it´s called "Pavana" and it was composed for a vihuela (some kind of ancestor to guitar, like the lute)by a spanish player-composer from 1534, called Luis de Milan, it sounded soo awesome I just had to record it. Just look how two voices go seperately on it, and how they beautifully merge, now thats no overdubs, just straight playing!
This stuff is just simply amazing, how difficult it is to reach such a level of polyphony on a stringed instrument, I wish I had the guts for playing this.

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
very nice indeed , real quality , played ace , reminds me of early Jan Ackermann , well done guys :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
This was a real treat, my friend. This makes me seriously consider taking classical lessons. I've been learning metal for 5 years straight with a great teacher, but at this point I feel like I'm chasing my own tail. Maybe this is a new direction to take. :thumb: Kudos to your friend and much respect.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
cool, some of the best songs are the old ones ;)
it never ceases to amaze me the old classical, even ragtime acoustic tracks still have the awsome power of sounding cool.
sounds like you had some fun ;)

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
SLoB said:
cool, some of the best songs are the old ones ;)
it never ceases to amaze me the old classical, even ragtime acoustic tracks still have the awsome power of sounding cool.
sounds like you had some fun ;)

Well said, Slob. Couldn't agree more.

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
That was awesome!

I love the old classical stuff too. Baroque is da shiznit!

I watched some young girl playing a classical guitar on TV, the thing had this huge neck and looked like it had about 30 strings! She was up and down that neck so fast it would give Yngwie a run for his money. My jaw hit the floor when I saw how fast she was, it was amazing and I wish I would have recorded it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts