Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(The board here seems to discuss heavily the Pods and V Amps, so maybe this is a loaded question but, ) How do the Digitechs (at the same price range) compare to the Pods and V Amps?

·
Thunder from the East
2,039 Posts
digitech rule for me.. i own an outdated rp12 digitech but the sound kickass

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
My son has a V-Amp, so I went down to Sam Ash and tried the Digitechs and teh PodXT. The Pod was the winner hands down IMHO. However I do love my Digitech Overdrive pedal.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The Digitech units seem to have originated from the design of the Johnson's J-Station, after Digitech bought Johnson. I had a J-Station and it was pretty good for both guitar and bass, it sounded more "organic" than other units to me, but I disliked the EQ controls and ended up with a V-Amp, with I initially didn't rate too much, but after spending time with it, you learn to make it sound *great*.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have got an little multiFX from Digitech: RP50.

Some guitarist call it a 'fisher price' effect, but I think that is not really correct.
Okay, it is all platic, but the sounds are fine to me for playing at home.
And it is cheap too: only 100 bucks.
And it has got dozen of different effects.

But I'll try a POD these days, cause I keep hearing good stories about them.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
I owned a RP1 many years ago. I used for gigs and it was ok at the time. I had nothing in beween, just made the jump to line 6 products from that.

G

·
I picked up a GNX4 about two weeks ago and it is hands down the best multi-effects unit that I have ever owned, not to mention how great it is as a recording unit.

In fairness, tho, I have never owned any of the Pods or V Amps, so I cannot really compare 'em . . . .

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
yakamashii said:
digitech rule for me.. i own an outdated rp12 digitech but the sound kickass
We have some calls for the pod's at the the shop but the price just scares alot away. I've sold some on the Vamps by word of mouth and experience from other players. But im getting tons of calls for the older processers such as the RP12 , Chamelion, ADA 1's and the 2101 A series. I've messed with the Pod some and it was good but didnt fit my needs. I have customers that swear by the pods and the vamps both. but most agree for the money the vamp is sufficient and a good piece of gear.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used to own a zoom 505 II and it was a decent multi affects peddal, but it was stollen. I was researching out recently when I got my vamp about zoom digitech line 6 boss and D.O.D. After all the research I came to the conclusion that for the price the Vamp was a good deal. For Digitech though I have to give props to the RP-7 valve state. That Is a pedal that I would love to own and from the prices I see them sell for on ebay I am not the only one. They were a great multi effects unit. The one area that the vamp caught me on though was the Amp and Cabinant Modeling. The Vamp was the winner for me and I love it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i use the digitech gnx3...i bought it as the "be-all-and-end-all" piece of gear...the selling point for me was the onboard recorder and all the various hookups it has...
i have it hooked up directly to my pc through an m-audio 2496...and record through magix music studio 7...i have never experienced any latency or pops or clicks or any other anomaly that i've heard about...
i did my homework...read the user reviews etc at http://www.harmony-central.com/ and did the math...gnx3 + recorder does not = pod or v-amp...
i feel this unit fills my needs...i'll have to check out the gnx4 sometime...to see what the differences and/or new features are...i don't need the usb hookup...and i don't "get" midi...the microphone preamp sounds interesting though...cheers... :icon_peac

·
Registered
4 Posts
Freeze said:
The gnx3 has a built-in recorder? I thought that was a new feature of the gnx4.
Will have to look at it!
The GNX3 does have a built in recorder but uses SmartMedia cards (owned it for a couple of days but returned it for the GNX4). The GNX4 is easily hooked-up to your computer and uses CompactFlash. I basically put all my pedals into storage after purchasing the GNX4. With all the backing tracks available on this site, the GNX4 has turned into a band in a box. Everything I ever wanted comes in this box (yeah right, give it time and they'll have something bigger and better). You don't even need an amp if you want to just practice (a real nice pair of headphones plugged into the GNX4 do the trick).
Support is great (had a problem recording to my computer but it was all software setup related).

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hey there...i don't use the smart cards at all...i just take the left and right line outs directly to the sound card...i get unlimited record time... :thumb:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
A good friend of mine has one of those purple 2112 ? thinks thats right , units and he says its very problematic , something to to with data getting corrupt especially in the cold , he never uses it at all , and another friend has a Silver rack mount one and he has the same issues , mind you i tried a digitech legend once and it sounded brill , apart from changing patches when it would clunk , or give a small delay ! Any rackmount units need well protecting and keeping out of the cold

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've owned Line6 Flextone III+ combo; Korg AX1500G; Digitech GNX4; and now a VOX ToneLab SE.

The Digitech GNX4 was a pretty amazing tool. However I always struggled with getting the tones to cut through as well as I'd like when playing live.

The Flextone 3 and Korg 1500 just didn't cut it at all...but they were useful at the time.

Now the ToneLab SE has a tube in the power stage (Valve Reactor circuitry) and in all honesty has the dynamics and warmth of a real tube amp. It sounds authentic and reacts fantastically. I'll be giggin this weekend with it and comparing it to several tube and/or SS amps. I believe it will hold up very well.

These multi effect boards usually sound best when going through a VERY clean power amp/cabinet such as the Atomic series, Tech21 Power Engines, or a Keyboard/PA amp. I use the Alesis SUMO 100 and it sounds very good.

Remember to use a decent EQ after the pedalboard, before going into the amp. This will help a lot!

~A~

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a mesa boogie 50/50 power amp and I was using the rocktron prophesy I found that when I cranked the prophesy it tended to be muddy!
So I decided to ask somebody in the music business so I asked Danny Danzi what he thought, well he swore by the Digitech 2101!
So I bought one on ebay I bought the limited edition 2101 with the dual S discs and it had been upgraded with software 3.
It was a beast to learn how to use but the sound to my taste is awesome !

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the new RP500 and absolutely love it. The amazing effects, patches, the sound, and everything else is all I could ask for

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a GNX4 It's okay - tones not so good - recorder is excellent on it.
I'm more of a line fan - I have UX8 and gearbox and guitarport had a toneport UX2
I have POD XTL - as well - though I did just get a harmonyMan from digitech and it's excellent!

Considering selling my GNX4 any one interested?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts