Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm peeking into the world of digital recording and have downloaded trial versions of Guitar Tracks and Kristal, as well as Band in a box. I was wondering how you guys build your drum and bass sections? I don't have a midi keyboard so I'm looking at programs like band in a box to create sections to record and then use sound fonts to make it sound more real (sounds like a lot of work). I see that guitar tracks has drum and bass looping, how does that work? Can anyone give me any examples of what the looping sounds like? What are you guys using other than real instruments?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
baddmann28 said:
I'm peeking into the world of digital recording and have downloaded trial versions of Guitar Tracks and Kristal, as well as Band in a box. I was wondering how you guys build your drum and bass sections? I don't have a midi keyboard so I'm looking at programs like band in a box to create sections to record and then use sound fonts to make it sound more real (sounds like a lot of work). I see that guitar tracks has drum and bass looping, how does that work? Can anyone give me any examples of what the looping sounds like? What are you guys using other than real instruments?
I use a program called hydrogen to build my drums. It is a pretty cool drum machine, but it could use improvements. For bass...well I uh....play a bass. I picked up an "Epiphone Gibson" for $150 and bought a Behinger amp for about the same price.

·
Yeah, so what?
1,562 Posts
Hi. It´s not that I know much about PC recording, but to answer about the loop question I can tell you I also started out with guitar tracks using them, but I just wanted something simpler to manage, and found out Audacity as a great free program, which I use not only for recording with or without BT´s, but also as a "drum machine" for practicing-messing around. You just import a loop and press "shift" while ticking on the play button, and the loop plays back for ever. There´s a bunch of free loop samples on the net, it´s just a matter of finding the ones you like.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've dabbled in just about every technique you can do. No. 1 is to know a real drummer who can lay down tracks for you. Otherwise it's a matter finding a method that you're comfortable with. Some software apps like Fruity Loops are very flexible and can give great results, but requires a certain amount of work to program beats. In that situation, it really helps if you know how to play drums

An external drum machine such as Alesis, Boss or Zoom comes with pre-programmed beats, but can also allow you to create you own. Step sequencing and/or real time recording on a drum machine can be difficult, awkward and time-consuming. I have a Zoom RT-234. It has good samples including bass guitar and bass synthesizer stuff. Sounds good if you can program it right.

Band In A Box and Jammer Pro are a couple of programs that are easier to use for the nondrummer. I think you just pick a style and put in the chords for your song. It still takes a while to put a track together, but the results are usually pretty decent. Afterwards you can use soundfonts or samples, although you may need a secondary application for that.

Pre-recorded drum loops are good, but generally you are locked in to the tempo parameters and the recording quality of the initial wave file. These loops are much, much easier to drag, drop and play, but again, it's a little limited.

If you're not doing original music, but just want jam to a favorite tune, find a midi file of the song, use some soundfonts to improve the sound quality and then record your guitars live. That works really well and easy. I've used midi files to trigger my Zoom drum machine too and that sounds great.

Besides Fruity Loops, look for Hot Stepper and Leaf Drums as a couple of simple drum sequencing programs. Newer programs like Groove Agent and Jam Stix are also good for nondrummers, but cost a little more money and use a lot RAM on your pc.

There's other software out there; some easier than others, so if you find something cool down the road, post it here for the rest of us.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
I have FL Studio and will admit that I am a complete idiot with it. Even with POD GOD's tutorial I can't figure out how to make a basic drum beat, I have looked on the net too. I need a real idiots guide to that starts at opening the program up and a very basic click by click that doesn't assume you know all the shit in between lol. When I am writing tunes I always end up using my keyboard and manually tapping in the drum parts, by the time I have to learn all that other shit I could have a ton of new tunes by just playing them manually.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
ericgtr said:
I have FL Studio and will admit that I am a complete idiot with it. Even with POD GOD's tutorial I can't figure out how to make a basic drum beat, I have looked on the net too. I need a real idiots guide to that starts at opening the program up and a very basic click by click that doesn't assume you know all the shit in between lol. When I am writing tunes I always end up using my keyboard and manually tapping in the drum parts, by the time I have to learn all that other shit I could have a ton of new tunes by just playing them manually.
Get a hold of me in chat latter. I'll letcha download some soundfonts to import into FL Studio that will blow your mind.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
nroberts said:
I use a program called hydrogen to build my drums. It is a pretty cool drum machine, but it could use improvements. For bass...well I uh....play a bass. I picked up an "Epiphone Gibson" for $150 and bought a Behinger amp for about the same price.
Is Hydrogen a windows prog? I found it on the net, but all I could find was source code for linux.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you have Fruity Loops but not a soundfont player or don't understand how to play sound fonts, try downloading some high quality drum samples. There are some great ones here:

Tom Hicks Drum Samples

For Eric and anyone else:

If you're just trying to come up with a basic beat in FL, here's a quick way to get started:

When you open it, make sure you have the realistic drum samples. You can go to File > Template and choose "Realistic Drums."

Then you'll have the basic programming grid that should look like this.

First give your project or song a name and Save it. FL names it as an .flp file which can be opened later.

Next, in the area that's circled, adjust the tempo to the speed you're comfortable with; 120 is a steady one to start with. You can adjust it later.

Notice next to the tempo is a Pattern number. Songs are composed of several patterns. After you make the first pattern, you can select No. 2 and that should give you another blank grid for your next pattern. You may end up creating and using several patterns for a song.

Now let's make a basic beat. Select each of the squares highlighted below. Then hit the play button and you should hear a fairly common beat. Notice in the circled area there are two light indicators. One's for pattern, one is for song. Make sure pattern is selected.

Save the file. Go to pattern 2 and start clicking some of the same squares or different ones. You may need to experiment to create a beat that you like.

After you have built some patterns, click on the Playlist button (arrow points to it below) and you should see a second grid with patterns. This is intuitive. Click patterns in the order you want them played. When you hit the Play button, make sure you select song instead of pattern. If you like it, you can save and then export the song as a Wave file (under the File command). It should be easy to understand from there. See if this gets you started.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
ksdb said:
After you have built some patterns, click on the Playlist button (arrow points to it below) and you should see a second grid with patterns. This is intuitive. Click patterns in the order you want them played. When you hit the Play button, make sure you select song instead of pattern. If you like it, you can save and then export the song as a Wave file (under the File command). It should be easy to understand from there. See if this gets you started
Heh, this is almost exactly how hydrogen works in linux.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
ericgtr said:
That tutorial just showed how to import a midi and beef up it's sound to make a backing. Programming original drums in FL is another whole tutorial, lol.
When I do originals, I also use Fruity Loops. For drum sounds I use DFH samples. I also add a BooBass track so I can do the complete rhythm section in FL. The program is really quite easy to use once you get used to it. I'm still learning the programming part though, rolls n stuff like that can be a bitch. I still have a lot to learn. Heres a sample of a track I did recently using this method...

Hopefully ksdb and sting's advice got you off and rollin', but if you want I can do up a quick tutorial, just say the word:bannana_g

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em comin! This really is one of if not the best guitar related website on the net! I downloaded the FL demo, and it's really pretty easy to use, much easier than the Alesis drum machine I had, although it wasn't real tough either. Forgive me for being stupid Pod, but whats a boo bass? without buying a bass, how would I lay down some bass using FL and a freeware multi - track program? Forgive me but I'm really behind the times here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My drummer and I just put out a cd of complete drum tracks recorded in his studio. There are 15 tracks on the cd (wav files) in the verse/chorus/verse format ranging from two and a half minutes to four and a half minutes for people like me that don't want to waste their creative time putting together loops or building samples (plus I'm horrible at it!). Once you've written a song with a track, Scot will even customize the drumtrack to match your song for only 25.00.

The cd is only 15 bucks with free U.S. shipping (3.00 shipping overseas). If you are interested go to http://www.johnnylokke.com/completedrums for some song samples, and there is even an mp3 of a quick track I did with one of the drumtracks, and then a version of the same song that has had the drumtrack slightly customized. This cd is hard rock, and we are currently working on a metal drumtrack cd that will be released probably around the first part of May.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I thought this might be of interest to some of you that want real drums on your songs without shelling out hundreds of dollars for a studio guy, or messing with loops and samples.

Peace,
Johnny

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
johnnylokke said:
My drummer and I just put out a cd of complete drum tracks recorded in his studio. There are 15 tracks on the cd (wav files) in the verse/chorus/verse format ranging from two and a half minutes to four and a half minutes for people like me that don't want to waste their creative time putting together loops or building samples (plus I'm horrible at it!). Once you've written a song with a track, Scot will even customize the drumtrack to match your song for only 25.00.

The cd is only 15 bucks with free U.S. shipping (3.00 shipping overseas). If you are interested go to http://www.johnnylokke.com/completedrums for some song samples, and there is even an mp3 of a quick track I did with one of the drumtracks, and then a version of the same song that has had the drumtrack slightly customized. This cd is hard rock, and we are currently working on a metal drumtrack cd that will be released probably around the first part of May.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I thought this might be of interest to some of you that want real drums on your songs without shelling out hundreds of dollars for a studio guy, or messing with loops and samples.

Peace,
Johnny
Hey Johnny, Skinbasher OWES me bigtime for a new hip :shock: so hows about one of those cd's or he can do me a rendition for a song I'm desperate for some Portnoy style drumming on?! Drummers keep saying they're interested and then dissapear into the void! :notme:

wahwah.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts