Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just figured this out a while ago, but scales and crap are accually realy usefull. If I would want to figure out what scale a song is using or do some improv on a solo, how would i know what key or what scale it is using? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
By ear. You play a note on the low E string when you hit the right one it will just sound like it fits. Then play a minor or major scale from that note one will sound in harmony with the song the other wont. This should cover 90% of all the songs you try to play. Obviously it is easier to write it down then it is to do it. It takes practice and you will most likely have to play a couple of scales before you find the one that fits. As some keys can share 5 notes out of seven. You will find a pretty good number of songs that change keys in the song the most common change is to the key a third lower like from Cm to Am. It takes practice ear training to do it fast. :bannana_g

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
908 is right, practice, practice, practice, and develop your ear. Eventually you get a catalog of sounds in your head, and you can just listen to something and get the main gist of it. After that it is just a lot of hard work to fill in the gaps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts