Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hell-O. The first example "kotcc" is galloping chords. I hear this and I don't have a clue how to gallop chords fast. I uploaded a clip so you guys could listen. Is there a certain motion to galloping chords that fast? I usually get caught up on strings trying to gallop that fast, even if I practice it slow. I think I'm doing something wrong :crap:

The second one is just crazy galloping from Iced Earth. Sorry if it's a little buried in the mix, but you should be able to make it out. I was wondering if there was a certain motion to picking that fast? I can't seem to find lessons on how to pick extremely fast rhythm.

Does anyone know any websites or anything related to fast rhythm playing? Any advice from anyone here? I always see lessons and books on how to play lead fast, but not rhythm.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
I don't think there's any real "trick" to it.......practice,practice,practice

·
Melody maker
101 Posts
You need to find the "groove", and when you do, stamina is key to it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Try looking into some bands that do gallops at a slower speed.

Take some of the Iron Maiden songs for example. They are famed for thier galloping ryhtym.

If you can master these then you will be that much closer to your goal.

Keep at it

·
Registered
876 Posts
You need to practice your alternate picking on one string....Low E, preferably with palm muting control. Start off slow and with a beat or a click. I went through learning stuff like this, taking it slow and you'll be playing this kinda stuff in no time.:tu:

·
Registered
163 Posts
When i think of galloping I think of The Trooper and Run to the Hills.

Just work on getting the groove right then work on your speed.

·
Melody maker
101 Posts
Miracle_man said:
When i think of galloping I think of The Trooper and Run to the Hills.

Just work on getting the groove right then work on your speed.
The Trooper is such a classic!

The Evil That Men Do has probably Maiden's slowest gallop; easiest to learn to get into the whole galloping thing I think.

I reckon Killers is their most "fierce" gallop, though. Certainly their fastest.

So I guess in a strange Maiden hierarchy of "to-learn" gallopy songs, it's TETMD, RTTH, Trooper, Killers :eek:hnoes:

:biggthump

·
I'm getting signals!
1,103 Posts
I think it might help if you dont call them galloping CHORDS. They arent really chords at all. These guys have so much distortion they are only playing one or two strings at a time. This makes it much more manageable.

Up picking is as important as down picking....and practice to a metronome at slower speeds. Then speed things up slowly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I have been having the same problem learning the gallop technique, Been a fan of Iced Earth for a number of years now and i cant keep the timing for too long before my arm aches. I have a cheap Epiphone Les Paul Left hand, use 11's strings tuned down to E flat, I can play songs like Reign in blood which has great gallop but when it comes to songs like The Funeral by IE then i lose it. I have tried several different ways, palm muting both left and right hands... On the Alive in Athens DVD Jon Schaffer uses his thumb to dampen the low E string, maybe thats the way to do it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
what size picks do you guys use? do you always alternate pick no matter what you play? i'm pretty sure i'd have a problem keeping up with some iced earth songs too, but its all a matter of picking hand strength accuracy and endurance...i've been sluffin off lately so i'm not one to talk, but, like a few have said, if you practice ONE note gallops for forever and ever, you will eventually build yourself up to play them...there's no secret, no trick, you just gots to do it

·
Registered
43 Posts
irongolem85 said:
.... but like a few have said, if you practice ONE note gallops for forever and ever, you will eventually build yourself up to play them...there's no secret, no trick, you just gots to do it
Thats exactly it. Theres no tricks...just start slow and practice alot!! In won't take you as long as you think at least it didn't for me. I was truely surprised at how fast I progressed when I focused on nothing but that!
First, always, always use a Beat or metronome. Second, dont have too much of the pick sticking out, and third angle the pick at about 35-45 degrees, and Fourth, barely scrape the string, don't try to "pluck" it. I've only been playing for about 19 months now, and I started out a few weeks ago at 60bpm/16th notes. and practiced only tremelo picking every day for a minmum of 2 hours up to 5-6 hours a day. After 5-6 weeks of this I was at a comfortable 145 bpm, clean. I did a clip of me playing at 160 bpm but you can tell it's a little too fast for me yet. You hear me miss and skip beats still. Listen To It Here
It just takes alot of repetitive hours but you have to move up in slow increments. Keep at it bro it will definitely become easier :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Tzer.

I downloaded that mp3 track of you playing gallop... ive learnt it all lol.
Im sure theres a song to be had with that rhythm. Like i said in my pot, im a huge Iced Earth fan, been playing guitar about 15 years or so and i still have problems with the gallop. My rhythm is ok but as for keeping it... makes my arm ache. Jon Schaffer is a very tight player indeed and im sure thousands of us would kill for his right arm... well not me as im a lefty.

Well i just wanted to say thanks for the info you have put on here, its going to help alot i imagine.

Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Iced_Earth, glad it helped you out :) Over time, your stamina & strength will build up in your (left)arm. Just like lifting weights, not gonna happen over night.....The guys from Trivium pick 16th notes at 210bpm. According to them, they still religiously practice alternate picking every single day to keep up the strength in their arms :)

...if you come up with a decent track/song from that rhythm, post it so we can hear it :)
Good luck:D

·
Airborne Warrior
699 Posts
When I gallop I just do a fast down up down rythmn with my picking cant really explain it anyother way, just do it slowly and build up your speed not wanting to sound like a prick but I didnt find it too hard to master

·
Shredding it up!!!
1,185 Posts
To some people it just comes natural to play like that, I found that learning UFO stuff helped with the galloping techinique too, "Lights Out", "Doctor, Doctor", they were a grat help for me 'cause they're quite slow simple gallops but it still helps :Sylvia:

·
Melody maker
101 Posts
tony4552 said:
When I gallop I just do a fast down up down rythmn with my picking cant really explain it anyother way, just do it slowly and build up your speed not wanting to sound like a prick but I didnt find it too hard to master
It's good to get the whole constant up/down/up/down picking routine, then it helps further if you emphasise the third note of the triplet of the gallop, to really get that "groove", and it adds a little more texture too. Or even the first and third notes. Just dig in a little more with the pick :mwink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts