Registering an account with a host is pretty simple also. Just go to their site an click register. They usually ask for a username, email and password. They will then send you a confirmation email. Once you respond to it you are ready to upload to it.
Now that the basics are in place the next steps to uploading is quite simple.
1. Look to see the size of the file you are going to be creating. (Hoover the mouse over the folder and it will tell you the mb).
2. Right click on the folder and choose "Add to archive". The winrar screen should now be up.
3. You should now see the name of the file you are creating highlighted under "Archive Name". Typically I do not like to leave the full name of the file. To me it is too easily searchable, so I abbreviate my uploads. I try to keep this simple also. So if I was to upoad Rush 2007-09-02 - Columbus, OH '07 (The Govner) I would label it something like R-COH9207. 1st letter of band name, abbrevition of city and state then the date.
4. Under "Split to volumes, bytes" is where you enter the size of the file you are going to create. If the file you were wanting to upload is 825 mb I would enter 900m to the field. I always tell winrar the size of the file is bigger than it actually is. Be sure to add M after the number size.
5. Click the browse button and tell winrar where you want the rar file to be saved on you hard drive. Then click OK. How long the process takes depends on your computer speeds and the size of the file. A 100mb mp3 might take 1-2 minutes, a 800mb show might take around 15-20 minutes and a dvd could take 30 minutes to a hour to complete.
Once the file is archived you are ready to upload to the file host of your choice. Each one is a little different but typically they have a drag and drop screen or a file upload button. I use Mega as a free user. at the top of the screen you will see new folder, file upload and folder upload. You will want "File upload" to upload a rar/zip file. Once you click the file upload button it will open the screen where you will tell Mega where the rar file is at on your computer. Once you have clicked on the file, click open at the bottom and it will begin the upload. Again it will depend on your computer, upload speeds and file size on how long the process takes. When the file has finished uploading right click on the file in mega and choose "Get Link". You want the link with key option. Then just copy the link to notepad for future use.
Now to post the show on Guitars101.
1. Go to the proper section of the site for posting (lossless, lossy, video).
2. Click on the "New Thread" button on the left just above the forum threads.
3. Make a title for the post. This will be what members see from the main screen. Include band name, date, and location. The Tags section under "title" is to allow other members to search the post within the site. It is optional but I at least always include the bands name. "Message" is where you are going to copy the information from the file note and also post the link. Once all of it has been entered you can preview the post to see how it will look and if there are any typos or you can submit the file directly.
If you are new to the site the post may need to be approved before it will be visible in the forum. Be patient, they will get to it. If they do not, leave a reply in the chatbox about needing your post approved.
*****If any of this does not make sense, leave a reply and I will try to make it clearer. I can even try to make screen shots of the process if needed. ***********
I appreciate your willingness to try something new and to contributing to the bootleg community.
****This is the same info as above, just with a pictorial****
To archive (create the RAR file):
1. Right click on the file and choose " Add to archive"
2. The file name should be in the field already. I like to abbreviate mine so it is not as easily searchable on Megas site.
3. Enter the size of the rar to create. I always tell it larger than the actual size. Add "M" after the file size (This is VERY important. If you only add the number size it may create 1000+ 1 kb rar files). This is the step where you need to know what the maximum file size you can upload to your file host is. Mega allows some where arond 4 gb so just about anything you will upload can fit into 1 rar. If you are using Mediafire, they may only allow 200 mb files. If this is the case you would tell winrar that 200m is all the bigger you want the rars to be and winrar will make as many rar files it takes at 200 mb to complete the file. So a 700 mb file would make 4 rars. 3 at 200 mb = 600 mb and 1 at 100mb to = 700mb. I have not used a zip file in a long time, but they used to not allow you to tell it what size you want the zip files. It was either all the file or none. This is why bootleggers prefer winrar. I am cheap so I use a free trial version. The trial version expired about 5 years ago so none of the programs extra features work like batch extracting, or using passwords but I am still able to use if for the necessities.
4. Browse button - Tell the program where you want the rar file saved. Remember wher you put it because your uploading host is going to ask you.
5. Click the OK button at the bottom.
Uploading to Mega:
1. Click the "File Upload" button
2. Tell Mega where the RAR file is located on your computer and click open. This is the location you chose in step 4 when archiving the file.
Mega should now be uploading the file. The picture below is of the basic mega screen. It is on the cloud screen which shows my uploads. It is shown as #1. This is the screen where I can rename the files, get links, etc.. #2 is the transfer button. It will show you the progress of your uploads and the files that have completed. You can jump from screen to screen while uploads are in progress. The Mega screen must remain open while the file uploads.
To get the link for the show you uploaded:
1. Click on the cloud button if you are not already on the screen showing you your completed uploads. (#1 in the above picture).
2. Right click on the fle and choose "Get Link"
3. Choose "Link With Key". If you get a link with any of the other options no one will be able to download it.
Copy and paste the link to notepad for future use. You will need to add it to your post.
*** Some things I have noticed about Mega ***
They only allow 50 gb of upload space to free users. Creating multiple accounts is easy. I like to use mail.com to set up fake email accounts. It is quick and easy. (disclaimer: I'm not saying you should, I'm just saying you could)
If you do not log into your account from time to time Mega will mark it as inactive and delete it. Even if your files are being actively downloaded. Mega does not resend passwords. If you forget yours you will need to make a new account and you will not be able to obtain any links from the old account. So if you make multiple accounts you will need to log into each of those accounts monthly to avoid deletion.
Mega does comply with take down notices. Do NOT upload official material and post links to the web. People do make an occasional mistake and upload a bootleg with an official song. If it gets a take down notice the file will get flagged in your account and will not be downloadable. You have the opportunity to dispute it if you want to. Usually you can delete the file and nothing becomes of it. If someone reports your account and not just a link then your entire account can be frozen or deleted. This is one of the reason I abbreviate my upload names. It is harder search on Mega to have someone copy my links and add it to their blogspot. When they go all over the net pissing people off their account gets reported and frozen along with your link. Obviously this is not fool proof. If they go to the site I posted the link they can copy it from there, but at least it requires some effort on their part instead of an easy search of Mega's database.
Ok... so some of the info in the 2nd post is new info, but they are mostly the same. Sorry about the spelling errors, I probably should of proof read it.
I also helped a member with torrents using a pictorial for Traders Little Helper and Utorrent. Then uploading to Dimeadozen. It is creating the file and uploading it only. You would need to have Utorrent already installed and working. I can post that if there is any interest.
Thank you for your interest in Guitars101.com. A forum community dedicated to guitar owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about collections, displays, models, styles, amps, modifications, kits, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!