Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just an idea...i thought maybe doing something like this on the side would be nice. but where do i start and whats the best way to go about doing it?
i was thinking start out ordering cheap kits and upgrade tuners and pickups mainly and sell for a higher price.:scratch:....or i could just do general repair on guitars other people have and customize/upgrade them.
another thing im wondering about...do you have to be licensed to do guitar work? ive never been to any luthier school or anything, but i can confidently say i know my stuff. ive built several of my own including the one i use now and fixed god only knows how many for friends.... although ive never done any paint work or finishing on any, so im lost there. :lol:
i think im more leaning toward ordering cheaper painted bodies and necks then put nice pups in them and other hardware(straighten them out :D )then sell them.

any opinions on this?

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
If it was as easy as you think, then many of us would actually charge for our knowledge... :dunno: That'll be $10.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have like 20-25 years of experience of repairing,rewiring guitars & also like 25 years of electronics. Are you planning on doing it part time on upgrading guitars? Are you well known in your community for your talents? I've known guys who started working at guitar stores as repair techs & after getting a great rep for their work branched out on their own. If you're doing repairs then you might need a sevice license,also where will your repair place be? If you open a shop you'll need insurance, will probably need to have your place inspected & will need to post your business license & other licenses at your place of business,if you upgrade guitars then sell em then you'll probably need a dealers license to sell in your city & have to pay B&Q taxes not to mention your own taxes-these are things worth considering. check with your local business licensing place for infomation about different licenses required. Best of Luck!

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Definatly would need to get certified by Gibson and Fender and you can pick up some warranty work :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts