Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will start making these for the whole book. It is a really cool set of excercizes so I figure maybe others would be interested. This weeks pattern:

||: BbM7 / Dm7 / Fm7 / Bb13b9 / EbM7 / Cm7 / Ebm7 / Ab13 / Dm7 / Gm7(4) / C+11 / C13 || Coda

Repeat 1: Dm7b5 / G+7b9 / Cm9 / B9#9 :||
Repeat 2: Cm9 / F13/ Fm9 Em9 / Ebm9 Dm9 ||

After repeat 2:
C#m9 / F#7+b9 / BM9 // Bm7 / E7b9 / AM7 // Am7 / D9 / GM7 // Gm7 / C9 / Cm9 / B7#9 DC Al Coda

Coda:
Cm9 / F13 / GbM7 / B6b5 END

The suggested scale keys are:

Bb // Eb //// Db // Bb // F //

R1: Cm // Bb //:||
R2: Bb // Eb D / Db C /

AR2: B /// A /// G /// F // Bb //

Coda: Bb // Gb //

The point? You are supposed to improvise over the track for 10 minutes 3 times, with 2 minute breaks in between where you stretch and do posture exercises (I'll leave those to your imagination). However, you must play 1/8th notes exclusively. Play legato and focus on smooth transitions. No hammer ons, no pull offs, no bends, no phrasing at all. It causes you to have to come up with different ways to create meanings.

You don't have to follow the key suggestions...they are just suggestions given by Howard Roberts (not me). A lot of the chords are so heavily modified they fit in no keys...it is ear practice as much as hand practice.

I only record the first go through (heavily edited) so you must paste it on itself until it is 10 minutes long. I left the 1st click in the next measure so you could crossfade and align.

The track for day 1 is here: TO RETURN - HAS MISTAKES...FIXING...

I'll post day2-6 in this thread as well. Day 7 is rest.

I hope to get them all but it will of course take much time.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
nroberts said:
You don't have to follow the key suggestions...they are just suggestions given by Howard Roberts (not me). A lot of the chords are so heavily modified they fit in no keys...it is ear practice as much as hand practice.
Thanks, cool stuff. but all the chords do fit into keys, it's just that the tonal center keeps changing, because all it is basically, is a bunch of iim V7 I's, with some flat 5 and direct substitutions thrown in here and there to keep things interesting.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rythameen said:
Thanks, cool stuff. but all the chords do fit into keys, it's just that the tonal center keeps changing, because all it is basically, is a bunch of iim V7 I's, with some flat 5 and direct substitutions thrown in here and there to keep things interesting.
Well, there are also some aug 5ths in there. I am no theory expert (read my heading ;) ) but I didn't think any aug5 really fit in any key.

When it gets like this is I have really not much ideas. I have a hard time just playing it, especially the voicings he specifies. Those m7 chords are really hard for me (x75433) and of course any 13b9 is just monsterous. Someone interested in really working their hand and getting some odd voicings might be interested in trying some of these. I could spell them out if there is interest.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
nroberts said:
Well, there are also some aug 5ths in there. I am no theory expert (read my heading ;) ) but I didn't think any aug5 really fit in any key.QUOTE]

But aug5 do fit into the key, they are just color for the chord, icing on the cake so to speak. Many times they are used to fit a certain melody note into the progression. For example take a very basic C-F-G progression. You naturally are in the key of C. If you make the G chord an augmented chord, you are still in the key of C with a different colorization of the 5 chord. When soloing over it you just have to be aware of the color of the chord. For example when going from the G to the C (assuming the G lasts 2 beats and you are playiing 8th notes), you could play the notes G(the root), F(the 7th of G), E(the 6th of G), D#(the augmented 5 of G) and finally land on D(the 9th of C) for the C chord. You then have a nice chromatic line that sounds very jazzy, fits the chord perfectly, and makes you sound good.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there much interest in the rest of these? Making these tracks is pretty tough because they aren't exactly easy for me to play. If there is interest though I will continue...slowly but surely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts