Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only worry with guitar battles is that it would become like guitar wars , which from my listening to some submissions (before i nodded off) which were nuthin but shred, if ya dig shred thats cool , but i hate it and would love to hear music played with a passion and from the heart.

could we have emotive guitar battles too , where submissions are played from deep within and contests not judged purely on how fast somebody played. by all means, the shredders try and blow each others ass off, but please create seperate competitions wher heartfelt playing gets an airing too.

thanks for reading:thumb:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
I'd agree BUT it's open to anyone so really the guys who are posting now are the ones who are up for it. I think there are a few things that could be ironed out to make it more whatever...like only being able to view the results of the poll AFTER you've voted as some people are influenced by how the vote is going.

The main thing is that like-minded people end up battling each other stylistically but the chance to joust is open to anyone...do you think putting it into categories like GB would help?
:icon_thum

·
Registered
361 Posts
My opinion, metal against metal, rock against rock, blues against blues, jazz against jazz. I would like to use the same backing for both players. Just my 2 cents. Would be interesting to hear how each player interprets the same backing with their own flair.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah weldy , i hear you.

i remeber listening to guitarwars and it just got so dull , everything was 100 mph shred , very little if any deviation from that format. jazz and be-bop , blues and fusion etc included in the mix would make it soooooooooo much more interesting.

chris, a trial of sectioning it definitely gets my vote.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Weldaar said:
My opinion, metal against metal, rock against rock, blues against blues, jazz against jazz. I would like to use the same backing for both players. Just my 2 cents. Would be interesting to hear how each player interprets the same backing with their own flair.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The blues battles on guitarbattle.com were awesome. Lots of emotion there. And I know a lot of those players are here on this board now, plus a bunch of other great blues players! Maybe we should get some blues battles going... Who wants to get their head cut? :D

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
thats a cool surgestion mate .. but what purpose does your poll serve lol ? you battling mr invisible ? lol ... i voted for you just for no reason whatsoever LMFAO .... :lol: ideas would be welcomed ... and the pointless poll provided amusement lol .

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
He originally posted this in the Battle forum and a poll is started automatically with the post whether you like it or not in that forum. I moved it here so the poll is stuck with it (same thing happened to me in there) :)

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
ahh i see . had me confused for a moment there .. this guitar battle thing is a couple days old and its already got huge interest eric . something tells me you're gonna have alot of work on your hands with surgestions from people mate . lol . categories is the obvious and best idea though . stops the clash of genres which can cause splits and probably more than likely end up upsetting people ... i'd be interested to see how you would go about setting it up though . you gonna do lots of sub forums for each genre within the main "guitar battle" forum ?

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Right now it's only setup so you can use one forum, I would like to setup more though so I am digging into it. I will let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
biggus dikkus said:
My only worry with guitar battles is that it would become like guitar wars , which from my listening to some submissions (before i nodded off) which were nuthin but shred, if ya dig shred thats cool , but i hate it and would love to hear music played with a passion and from the heart.
:thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
I mean the whole rock vs rock thing is okay but if two people have differing styles and want to battle it out why shouldn't they be allowed to?? Just because someone shred's neo classical doesn't mean he/she will not beat the person who completly shreds up a blues backing. Why should we keep people from making their own originals and force them to use the same backing track...in essence doesn't that sometimes stint the creative aura of the music? Don't get me wrong I like to be fair and all but this from what I can see of Eric's post is for enjoyment and friendly competition so I say let whoever vs. whoever however they see fit.

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Weldaar said:
That was my idea Mike. I thought it would be interesting to see how different styles create different music using the same backing. Just a thought. I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Oh no no man don't think I am trying to rip your idea or anything.....I Think we should have those type battles as well........I just meant we should also not exclude other thing such as the other battles........If we just leave it open it makes things more user friendly :icon_thum

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
ha ha why do you think i haven't battled yet LOL.........i don't wanna get my guitar playin ass handed back to me by like metaljonus or yak LOL

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
It's just abit of fun , not a big competition ,

i don't really think we need seperate categories , just leave it open and people who want to do a laid back emotive battle can and those that want to shred can .. it's only a few days old here , it's a bit early to be categorising what a typical battle is on here .. i think we're varied enough in styles and abilities that we can make this into something fun and interesting :thumb:

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Stiglar said:

i don't really think we need seperate categories , just leave it open and people who want to do a laid back emotive battle can and those that want to shred can .. it's only a few days old here , it's a bit early to be categorising what a typical battle is on here .. i think we're varied enough in styles and abilities that we can make this into something fun and interesting :thumb:
Good points, Stiglar.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stiglar said:

spot on stig !

with shredders it aint about fun and making beautiful music , its 100% who can play the fastest scales and arpeggios, i think making music takes 2nd place to these attributs, purely the reason why i find shred so utterly tedious and welcomes the blues guys taking an active part in friendly music competitions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts