Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will start the ball rolling. I was just reminded of this song as I was chatting to someone about my guitar playing exploits, so thought it would make a good topic.

I'm not a gigger by trade, and the times I have played live have been in people's houses after we've come back from the pub, a few times as a special occasion at people's parties when someone pulls out the acoustic, or once when I played in a pub as the entertainment, accepting my payment in free beer (they quickly put a 4 pint limit on me once they realised what a piss-head I am :lol: )

Anyway, onto the story at hand...

When I joined my company, they immediately sent me out to Japan to learn about the system installed over there in order to set the same system up back over in our base office. Well, we went out a few times, and it's not uncommon to stay out all night over there.

This was one of those nights. Funnily enough, I never got absolutely bolloxed out there, maybe because we were drinking in moderation, I dunno, but as this is a concept that is alien to me, I can't explain it. Anyway, I went out a few times from 6 p.m. until 4 a.m. the next day and was still at work the same day at 7 a.m. without a hangover and bright eyed \and bushy tailed.

Anyway, again, back to the story. Sorry, I keep going off on a tangent, don't I ?

Well, during one night, we went into a "Football (Soccer)" themed bar. There was some match on, probably Liverpool, so everyone was watching it in there. There was an acoustic propped up on the bar that anyone was welcome to play that could play. Well, they all knew that I could play and so I was coaxed into playing.

I picked up the 5-string (one of the strings was broke) and started playing, "Every Rose Has It's Thorn". Now maybe it's naive of me, but I have never thought of this as an anthem of any sort. Yeah, it's a stereotypical cowboy song, but was it the main factor for what happened next ? Read on and you tell me.

Anyway, this little Japanese bloke joined our group and started hammering out the rhythm on my leg, which was propped up on a stool to support the guitar as there was no strap for it...
  • Mistake one : I think, "Aww, he's harmless enough !"
  • Mistake two : I think, "He's loving the music, and that's what it's all about, so leave him be."
Well, I finish the song, and get some applause and I hand the guitar over to my friend who was going to sing out a ballad himself.

As soon as I have handed it over, the little Japanese guy gets on tiptoes and tries to kiss me, and I mean proper kiss me. He didn't understand any of my objections to this until I gave him the two fingers sign and told him that he could "Fuck right off !"

Well, he quickly scarpered out of the bar.

The bar was not a gay bar, and I have never associated the song as a gay anthem. So needless to say, it was a hell of a surprise. I have never been able to live it down, as the girls over there are gorgious, but the only success for myself was pulling a ittle Japanese bloke by seranading him with a Poison song !!!

:doh:

So, anyone else have any strange stories ? Post them here, try to make them more embarassing than mine if you can !!!

:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Lmao!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,011 Posts
Your first tip off that it was a gay bar should have been that all the bar stools were upside down!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Woah, now thats funny yet scary.

Only thing that comes to mind was me playin at a friends Birthday party in Highschool. Wasnt a gig, just sittin down playin the guitar. This girl ive never seen in my life starts talking to me after I was done and then asks me if I would go out with her. She was good lookin so I was like Hell Ya:woot:. Later on one of my friends at the party says why were you holding my girlfriends hand. I said Uhhhhh. He says he has been going out with her for a 3 weeks. I said well damn I didnt know, she just asked me out about and hour ago. He flips out, Im laughing inside my head because of the situation. We were good friends from school so I let her go and they kept going out:wtf:. Strange couple if you ask me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,011 Posts
Skydirt said:
Woah, now thats funny yet scary.

Only thing that comes to mind was me playin at a friends Birthday party in Highschool. Wasnt a gig, just sittin down playin the guitar. This girl ive never seen in my life starts talking to me after I was done and then asks me if I would go out with her. She was good lookin so I was like Hell Ya:woot:. Later on one of my friends at the party says why were you holding my girlfriends hand. I said Uhhhhh. He says he has been going out with her for a 3 weeks. I said well damn I didnt know, she just asked me out about and hour ago. He flips out, Im laughing inside my head because of the situation. We were good friends from school so I let her go and they kept going out:wtf:. Strange couple if you ask me.
Man, most of the chicks I laid in high school had boyfriends but came to me because I was in a band. It was hard to go to parties with chicks literally taking me out back for some quick smooching or reach around without my girlfriend or their boyfriends finding out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,633 Posts
El_jalepeno said:
Man, most of the chicks I laid in high school had boyfriends but came to me because I was in a band. It was hard to go to parties with chicks literally taking me out back for some quick smooching or reach around without my girlfriend or their boyfriends finding out!
Back in '89 the singer in my metal band introduced me to his girlfriend and before the night was over I was making out with her. She left him, he and I got into a fight over it and I dated her for a few months. I feel like a heel now for doing that but she was HOT! :icon_eek: Well, 16 years later I'm again friends with my old singer and he's forgiven me. He has a Hot wife now and I'm unhappily single. He lets me sit by his wife in the audience during his gigs with his current band...but I'd never try that again....... he sure is trusting.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Hey mondola, you want to go campin'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts

·
Da Blooze Guy
Joined
·
5,854 Posts
Okay, I got one, actually I've got a ton of them. But the band I was in was playing in a little dive in Portland, OR, On one of our breaks, I met this girl...she was hot, and since our drummer ususally got all the hot chicks, I thought this is my big chance. We talked during the break, and I thought I'd better smooth the path even more, so I bought a couple of pitchers, and left them with her. By the next break, the pitchers were consumed, plus I could tell she had had a few extra. I asked her if she wanted to go party at my place after the gig............she looked me right in the eye, barfed into an empty pitcher, and said "You betcha". I smiled at her, called the drummer over, and said, Hey someone wants to meet you. I think he has finally forgiven me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Another one, from my time spent out in Japan.

The Japanese girls in the office had organised a night out for us. So we were to meet them at an Irish Pub called Scruffy Murphy's at 8 p.m. So, we did so, and the beers flowed.

A band came on and started playing, and they were really good. Well, I was pissed, and got really into it, but I'm pretty sure they were really good, anyway.

At their half-time interval, I was at the bar when the singer was also at the bar too. He was a friendly chap, and we got talking. I told him that I played guitar and such and he offered some encouragement.

As I went to sit down, one of our group asked me what I had said to the singer. I just told him that we were just chatting about music. He said, "You didn't tell him that you played an instrument or sang, did you ?" When I responded that I had told him I played guitar and could sing, he just shook his head and laughed.

Anyway, the band start their second set and play "Mustang Sally". Well, they get to a little breakdown and the singer starts talking to the audience. He then asks for a dude called Dave to come up and play guitar. Everyone, including myself, is looking around for this brave and adventurous guitar player. Then the singer spotted me in the audience. "Come on Dave, come on up man !!!"

Now I knew what my mate had found so funny. I was pissed enough not to suffer from stage fright so I walked up and was handed the guitar. I think it was a Gibson Studio, but cannot remember (should have just legged it out of the pub :lol: ). He said, "The solo's in Am, just go for it !"

Well, as is still the case to this date, I only know one scale. So I found my A position on the neck and started playing away in A Major !!!

:lol:

I think I managed about 30s of soloing before the guitar was taken off me and I was put onto backing vocals, where I gave a much stronger performance for the remainder of the song !!!

:doh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
a few years ago we were playing a gig in a small bar in wisconsin. we started our second set and did a few songs when all at once two cops walked up to the stage and handcuffed our bass player and took him out to the squadcar bass and all right in the middle of a song! we're standing there going wtf? what do we do now? it turned out that durring the break a guy was hasseling the bass players girlfriend and when he interviened the guy threw a punch. well dave has a black belt and blocked the punch and laid the guy out with one punch of his own. the guy called the cops and said dave assaulted him even though he started it! we had to go out to the squadcar and beg the cops to give us the bass so we could keep playing as our lightman knew how to play bass and could fill in otherwise we wouldnt get paid and we now needed money to bail dave out of jail
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Rythameen said:
she looked me right in the eye, barfed into an empty pitcher, and said "You betcha". I smiled at her, called the drummer over, and said, Hey someone wants to meet you. I think he has finally forgiven me.
You know, if you do 'em dog style then when they puke it don't get on you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
mondola said:
Now I knew what my mate had found so funny. I was pissed enough not to suffer from stage fright so I walked up and was handed the guitar. I think it was a Gibson Studio, but cannot remember (should have just legged it out of the pub :lol: ). He said, "The solo's in Am, just go for it !"

Well, as is still the case to this date, I only know one scale. So I found my A position on the neck and started playing away in A Major !!!
Gotta learn them thar' keys man. You could have just added 3 frets.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top