Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Our band plays classic rock. Skynard,Creedence,Doors,Stones,Petty ect... Anyway, I currently use A Johnson Millennium 150 with the Johnson 2X12 extention cab and guitars are USA Strats fitted with Kinmans. My Johnson is a great amp but it's thin sounding when cranked up at gig level. Tube Pre amp but it's basically
a solid state amp with effects out the ass!!

I'm looking to purchase a TUBE amp thats good for this type of music and I have $1600.00 to play with. I was thinking of the Mesa LoneStar Classic 1X12 combo or what do you's think! Anything I should try thats a kicker? I went on the Mesa web site and the LoneStar has some really nice options that fits the bill,.. but haven't tried it yet or any other tube amp.
Any help on this would be great!!

Bulletman...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
if i where you id get a Line 6 Spider Half-Stack OR a Marshall Mode 4......Check into those......the sound range on those is very good. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mode 4

Dude!! The mode 4 is about 3000.00. I would love top have that baby! Now thats an amp to be heard:icon_thum

Happy fathers day to all you dads (rockers)

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
It sounds as tho your dead set about a valve amp BUT I would suggest you try the Line6 Vetta II combo or head...you will be amazed and they are more flexible than anything else you'll hear from today's amps. They also do a HD147 which is a 300w top based on the Mode 4 and it's competitors. Your music you cover has a lot of classic tones and the Line6 stuff will give you it all if you work on it.

As for valves and your kinda repertoire, I'd suggest Fender if you're going for classic valve. Just my 2 cents.

:thumb:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The Mode 4 is a hybrid...sounds like you want full tube. Sometime I go down to GC and play on Mesa's, Marshalls, etc all afternoon......just to remind me on how much I love my Vetta HD!

You can find a tube amp that has the sound your want.....but then you will just have that one sound basically....maybe a Mesa Road King will meet your needs.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
CyberTwin SE

Well I know this isn't a 100% all tube amp, but it does have a tube pre amp, sounds AWESOME and has plenty of power. (2X65w)

This little sucker is EXTREMELY versitile, and has very good tube sound. (IMHO better than any true modeling systems) I've been using one now for about 6 months and LOVE IT! If you would like to hear some stuff that I have recorded with it, let me know and I'll link up some stuff.

See: http://www.fender.com/products/cyber/cybertwinse/home.php

Rj

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Bulletman said:
Hi everyone!

Our band plays classic rock. Skynard,Creedence,Doors,Stones,Petty ect... Anyway, I currently use A Johnson Millennium 150 with the Johnson 2X12 extention cab and guitars are USA Strats fitted with Kinmans. My Johnson is a great amp but it's thin sounding when cranked up at gig level. Tube Pre amp but it's basically

I'm looking to purchase a TUBE amp thats good for this type of music and I have $1600.00 to play with. I was thinking of the Mesa LoneStar Classic 1X12 combo or what do you's think! Anything I should try thats a kicker? I went on the Mesa web site and the LoneStar has some really nice options that fits the bill,.. but haven't tried it yet or any other tube amp.
Any help on this would be great!!

Bulletman...

You might want to look at the Soldano HotRod 50. I have never heard one myself, they disappear from the local store before I get a chance, but they are pretty sought after in the classic rock genre. All Soldano amps sound like the shit. Not sure what they cost but $1600 might cover it...the avenger is 14.

Also have a look at the Astroverb. It is a little firecracker. Single channel tube with builtin reverb. $800 list for the head. Won't play large venues without micing but will be plenty for taverns and such. If a 1x12 will do you then this thing will also.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Bulletman said:
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to purchase a TUBE amp thats good for this type of music and I have $1600.00 to play with. ...

Bulletman...
Not below 1600 bucks... but the all tube Randall MTS series combos may fit your bill...

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/mtscombos.asp

I think they range (3 modules preloaded) from $1700 to @ $2000.

Sound clips are on this page:

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/modules.asp

*IMO* the modules sound very accurate, open and natural... especially the Vox and "brown" Plexi. The Recto-Boogie/high gain modules are nice too if you like that sound. Incidentally they're making a George Lynch module for it too.

G

·
1600 amp??

Well, 1600 does open possibilities for you.
Based on the type of music you want to play, the obvious amplifier is a Fender with 6L6s of some type. My suggestion is a Twin, a Pro Reverb, or super reverb. The other amps can model it and sound like it, but that amp sounds like the tones you want because it IS the tone you want.

If you were a shredder, Id say a Laney, Marshall or Boogie (you can get something in those for 1600). None of those amps do a convincing CCR or Stones tone, thats why I said to go with a typical working Fender model. Nothing sounds cheezier than playing Skynard or CCR with an amp that has too much bite (everything you play will be like Slayer doing inagoddadivida).

I think one of the best tube amps Fender ever made was the Pro Reverb: two channels, tremolo, and reverb. Its the classic 763 circuit, does not overdrive well, but does the classic rock and roll sound with a nice blend of bite and clear guitar. A more versitile rock amp is the Fender 4x12 Bassman. This one will do 60s rock AND will give you the same tone as early 70s Rush, 70s Foghat with a little overdrive pedal. The Bassman overdrives great (its the basic circuit of the Marshall and all other amps we hold dear today).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mesa Boogie Mark IV - great sound for Classic Rock and Blues I have owned two now and they are awseome: two killer gain channels, and one great clean channel. Boogie!

G

·
While Im not a fan of most of the boogie amps, the Mark IV is one I hope to own before I die. One fine amp: I didnt think of this one, as Fenders immediately came to mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The bands you named all played different amps. :scratch:

Classic hard rock you can't beat a Marshall DSL100

Petty uses a AC30 they make terrific new combo

Doors and Fogerty used Fenders I think?

Skynard used Marshalls

Stones used Mesas and AC30s

I have a Johnson it cant hold a candle to sound of the real thing....TUBES :bannana_g

·
Registered
26 Posts
you can pick up a mesa boogie tremoverb 2x12 combo on Ebay for about 1000$ That is a great amp if you RTFM. and my first choice.

The line 6 HD 147 is a decent amp , a little more versatile than the boogie but the boogie just shreds.

Peavey XXX, another good versatile amp but not as good as the first 2.

Marshalls are just too noisy for me and I don't really like the raw Dist from them either. I did have a modded 2100 SLX marshall head that was pretty cool but every other marshal I have owned has been junk, loud but junk.

I think Mesa boogie Tremoverb's or Roadking's are the best investment for sound and value in the future.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
GrottoDevil said:
Marshalls are just too noisy for me and I don't really like the raw Dist from them either. I did have a modded 2100 SLX marshall head that was pretty cool but every other marshal I have owned has been junk, loud but junk.
Really! I am suprised to hear you say that. If you weren't able to get a tone you liked out of the Marshall, then something must have been wrong with it. (I'm assuming we're talking all tube marshalls here.....) You should be able to get any tone from smoth and creamy to raw and raunchy out of most any Marshall. Maybe the tubes were bad? Or the BIAS not set right????

Rj

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not. :wtf:

I don't know why people pigeon hole their sound so and make value judgments that on the face of them are absurd. Mesa makes great amps that sound like Mesas (I have three). Marshall makes great amps that sound like Marshalls and happen to be the worlds largest amp manufacturer used by more pros then any single amp (I have four). I don't think it is reasonable or logical to say that either one sounds bad. :icon_peac

·
Registered
26 Posts
Really! I am suprised to hear you say that. If you weren't able to get a tone you liked out of the Marshall, then something must have been wrong with it. (I'm assuming we're talking all tube marshalls here.....) You should be able to get any tone from smoth and creamy to raw and raunchy out of most any Marshall. Maybe the tubes were bad? Or the BIAS not set right????

Rj

I am Just stating my preference regarding the marshalls I have owned and yes they were tube amps, it is more about what I prefer as I think marshalls do not suck, I have just found them particularly noisy and the mesa boogie amps I referred to sound alot better to me. I was very specific in reference to the Tremoverb and or Roadking series of mesa boogie amps. They are my preference hands down for many reasons, 1600$ and under being one of them. no need for violence.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts