Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I've been a member for a while but haven't spent much time here lately.

I've recently finally started exploring Frank Zappa's music. I've also been listening to Steve Vai, Django Reinhardt, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and other guitarists.

It was a sax solo in Eat That Question on the Zappa Plays Zappa dvd, however, which brought me to tears and made me realise that I want to be able to play.

I've decided to spend this three-week break from work focusing on studying and practicing guitar.

If anyone has suggestions of exercises to improve technique or musical understanding, I'd very much appreciate it.

So far I'm self-taught and that basically only means learning approximate chord progressions for songs from the internet, and playing along to mp3s, and also improvising along to SRV or bluesy backing tracks.

I want to learn the major modes, and also expand my knowledge of chords, inversions, and so on. Even simply knowing all the notes along the neck would be good.

For now I'm working from "Chord Chemistry" by Ted Greene. I'm hoping that will begin to answer some of the things I wish to understand. :)

*goes to another room to practice*

Basically I want to go from hobby player who loves music, to being a guitarist. Fumbling around on the guitar the way I have been, with no focus, isn't enough anymore.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Barnes & Noble has books with scales & chords. Some of them I can't make heads or tails out of, others seem quite good.

I picked up a book of chords last week from the bargain shelf for like $10.

·
Registered
40 Posts
here is the best guitar site on the web.licklibrary.com.it has online technique lessons with some great guitaristabout 150 videos of well known songs broken down on video so you can learn them the right way.interviews wit all the heavy hitters and hundreds of band and technique dvds for sale.caution you go on you might never leave its that good

·
Registered
6 Posts
:woot:
My advice (as a former guitar teacher) would be to choose a few things to work on at a time. In other words, don't bite off more than you can chew like 3 books of songs, 2 books of technique, etc... work from 1 technique book at a time and choose one song to learn (including solos). So that's my advice for not spreading yourself too thin. It can get too overwhelming if so.
Also, this may or may not be obvious, but, as with anything you ant to get proficient at (golf, bowling, sewing, whatever..) BE CONSISTENT! 10 mins a day for a year is better than a couple hours 2 or 3 times a month. 30 mins a day is better and if you really are serious and want to be a guitarist, it's really more like 2-3 hours a day or more. But be realistic for yourself. And also, be gentle with yourself. The guitar or any instrument for that matter takes years to get good at. They say if you spend 10,000 hours at something, you can be considered a pro (within reason - some people just have natural virtuosic talents while most of us gotta work at it and others have no talent and will have to work much harder and longer if they want to be proficient - it depends on what your goals are).

Bottom line, if you want to be a good guitarist - expect to be consistent, spend long hours practicing scales (don't injure yourself practicing too long - you gotta watch that), learning the fretboard, learning good technique, practicing with a metronome at low tempos, memorizing, getting better at TAB, learning to read music is a plus too.

I highly recommend getting a good teacher - this will help give you direction and keep you consistent. You'll also be getting one on one advice every week from a pro - this is priceless. There are also some very good online video lessons that are very cost effective.

I think I'll stop here but if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts